Tucson to Moab Utah route

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dooger54

We will be traveling from Tucson to Moab (national parks) in May. We have two route options-

1) North around Phoenix via I17 to Flagstaff, then Routes 89 and 160 from there.
2) North on 77 through Show Low and Snowflake, heading up to Holbrook.  Then 191 North.

Both routes end up in the same place in Northern AZ.  Times are just a little slower on Route #2, but that?s not a concern.

My biggest issue is which choice will have less grades up and down?

Going from Globe to Show Low you have a steep drop with switchbacks down to the Salt River and then back up. From Show Low to Moab you shouldn't have a problem.

It's been several years but the last time we went up 191 from I-40 to Chinle the road was terrible. Don't know if they have resurfaced it or not.

Have gone I-17-89-160 many times to get to Moab for Forum rallies.

Once you have climbed to Flag at 7000' it's downhill to Moab at 4100'.  ;D

Looks like we will go around Phoenix and head up I-17.  That will also take us up through Monument Valley, which I am excited to see.  Hope we can find room for overnight at GOOSENECKS State Park. 

Dooger54 said:
Looks like we will go around Phoenix and head up I-17.  That will also take us up through Monument Valley, which I am excited to see.  Hope we can find room for overnight at GOOSENECKS State Park.

The actual park at Gooseneck isn't much, but the views are awesome.  We did one night a couple years ago, and it's on my list to go back to.

Also just noticed the Valley of the Gods BLM area just a few miles up the road.  Looks like a great area for dry camping.

We use the Phoenix bypass via Gila Bend, then loop,303 to I-17.  Yes, it?s more miles but less headache going thru Phoenix proper.

If looking for some boondocking, check out Campendium as it is a good resource I think....

Utah is a great state to explore...  Have fun.

jackiemac said:
If looking for some boondocking, check out Campendium as it is a good resource I think....

Utah is a great state to explore...  Have fun.

Thanks. Are in Utah now.  Just left Valley of the Gods and boondocked there two nights. Beautiful. On way to Moab today. Planning to try Willow Springs Road. Found both on Campendium. Very helpful. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom