What Radiator Cap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discus277

I have a 2016 Fleetwood Excursion 33d with Cummins 300HP diesel...this is a Freightliner X-C chassis

I got low coolant indication so took radiator cap off and it was all corroded and rusty. Has no indicator marks on it inside or out. i want to replace it but what is the correct PSI for this engine's cooling system?

Thanks for your help in advance

Jim

Freightliner uses both 10 psi and 18 psi caps, and maybe some others as well.  I suggest you call FCCC's 24/7 HELP line at 1-800-FTL-HELP and ask them. Have the last 6 digits of the chassis VIN handy when you call and they will look up the spec on your specific chassis so you know you have the right one.

discus277 said:
I have a 2016 Fleetwood Excursion 33d with Cummins 300HP diesel...this is a Freightliner X-C chassis
I got low coolant indication so took radiator cap off and it was all corroded and rusty.

It seems concerning to me that you have low coolant along with a corroded and rusty radiator cap on a 2 year old rig. Before topping off I would suggest having the coolant tested

Sun2Retire said:
It seems concerning to me that you have low coolant along with a corroded and rusty radiator cap on a 2 year old rig. Before topping off I would suggest having the coolant tested

What am I testing it for? Looking for what?
Thanks

discus277 said:
What am I testing it for? Looking for what?
Thanks

I've always had the shop do it, but there is a test for radiator fluid to check that it has not been diluted and all of the required anti-corrosion chemicals are present in the right quantities and that it still meets (in your case) Cummins' specs for continued use. A small sample is taken and it is sent to a lab. Any Freightliner/Cummins dealer can handle this for you either by taking the sample or you could walk it in. Or they might give you a direct contact with the lab and you could take it in yourself. Cheap insurance, bad coolant can cause expensive damage.

My Ford diesel includes testing the antifreeze for the anti corrosion component as part of routine maintenance.  If I remember, to is a test strip you dip in the antifreeze.

Definitely get it tested!

The test strips are for anti-corrosion compounds called Supplemental Coolant Additives. Good to do annually, but doesn't tell you much about the health of the cooling system.

Is it just the cap that is rusted, or is the coolant itself rusty or otherwise polluted? It should be colored (usually pale green) but still clean and semi-clear looking. A milky or oily appearance is really bad news, and rust or sediment is a bad sign as well.

i should have added to the previous post....thanks for all the suggestions

I am going to follow Gary's advice and call the Freightliner help number tomorrow to get the PSI rating on the cap and I will mention your concerns
'
thanks,

Jim

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom