Battery Bank Sizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man, if this does not derail this thread, then nothing will!  ;D

See attached picture.  Load it with peanut butter, and you got 'em!  Clean it in used dishwater afterward.  Best one I've ever used.  Easy to load, easy to empty, easy to clean.  I think I got it at Walmart.

Frank.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=plastic+mouse+trap&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=dXOVaPXEshymwM%253A%252C6UnGvsjNprNAiM%252C_&usg=__3RodCsKBkj29Qxlz2qS89hQYbe0%3D&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiG0c-CzO_aAhVL74MKHeMeBjIQ9QEwAHoECAAQLw#imgrc=dXOVaPXEshymwM:

Similar to the black ones in the top left of that page.

Attachments

• 20180505_155735.jpg
    20180505_155735.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 17
Kevin:

The latter.  :eek:

The one in the picture is unarmed.  The toothed arm is bent over to the right when loaded.  You can put the peanut butter in the little round cup before arming it, then just set it down in the area the mouse is visiting, or along a baseboard.  Mice seldom travel out into open areas, and they just LOVE peanut butter.  You unload the deceased rodent later without having to touch it. 

We caught two of them within minutes one night while we were watching TV.

OK... I see. I guess I'll try that before chancing an arson conviction (Although I think a jury of RV peers would sympathize with me.) Thanks Frank

Kev

Kevin Means said:
Now, if I can just figure out how to catch trap/apprehend/kill/intimidate/offend the little bas---d mouse that got into our coach,

Man, I think I got whiplash from the sudden turn off topic.............. ;) ;D

Well... I've got to turn the lights on to find the little jerk, which draws down my battery capacity, which then needs to be recharged by my solar panels, so I see a direct correlation to the OP's question about how much battery capacity they need. I feel better already.

Reading thru this thread I see how little I know and how much there is to
learn. I find solar power fascinating. I've got a lot of homework to do.

Frank B said:
Solarman:

Yes.  I've never tried to collect on a battery warranty from Trojan, but I have tried from Home Depot on their lithium tool batteries. Too many variables and entirely too much 'wiggle room' for the warrantor.  I would think it would be even more complicated using third party chargers, and trying to prove  you kept the cells topped off with distilled  water or not.

And that is entirely possible.  But will I get any better performance than I would by replacing the 'el cheapo' batteries with a new set after 3 years?  I typically get 5 to 7 years out of mine before their declining performance bothers me.

I dunno. I do believe in the general principle of you get what you pay for.  And if they were 30% more expensive, then sure.  But almost double?  My jury is still out.  ;D

Trojan's warranty is backed up with 100's of authorized dealers.

1. if you have a problem, you take them in ( either a Golf or Marine shop ), they test on the spot and after a 10 minute phone call you walk out with new batteries. with costco, you take them in, get a receipt and a few days later when they get the test results, you may or may not get new batteries..

2. Trojans will maintain capacity for longer before failing, if you are happy with the el cheapo performance then stick with them..
it's a personal choice..

Sun2Retire said:
What does that mean to the layman, slower charging?

I layman terms, the higher resistance battery is less able to supply current without suffering voltage sag.
the more amps you pull, the greater the voltage sag under load.

this is why manufacturers design different batteries for different usage.

a SLI starting or "car" battery is designed to supply very high current for a short period of time to turn your engine and has
a VERY low internal resistance. It does however need to be recharged to 100% ASAP after use. It is not designed for daily cycling and therefore is unsuitable for solar or RE use.

SLI is characterized by CCA ( cold cranking amps ) and reserve capacity labels.

an AGM is a hybrid that is designed to supply high currents AND cycling, although the cycle capability is much less than a deep cycle battery.
these have a very low resistance too..

AGM is characterized with CCA and C rating ( C/10, C/20 etc... ) labels

RE deep cycle do not have CCA ratings, only C rating ( C/20, C/100 ... ) labels

a deep cycle battery is designed for and has the highest daily deep discharge and charge cycling ability, the trade off is higher resistance
due to the plate materials. they are designed for lower but longer discharge cycles and are therefore ideal for solar and RE.

Frank B said:
Man, if this does not derail this thread, then nothing will!  ;D

See attached picture.  Load it with peanut butter, and you got 'em!  Clean it in used dishwater afterward.  Best one I've ever used.  Easy to load, easy to empty, easy to clean.  I think I got it at Walmart.

Frank.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=plastic+mouse+trap&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=dXOVaPXEshymwM%253A%252C6UnGvsjNprNAiM%252C_&usg=__3RodCsKBkj29Qxlz2qS89hQYbe0%3D&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiG0c-CzO_aAhVL74MKHeMeBjIQ9QEwAHoECAAQLw#imgrc=dXOVaPXEshymwM:

Similar to the black ones in the top left of that page.

I didn't see any solar powered traps there...  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Here's another interesting site:

http://www.beginningfromthismorning.com/house-batteries-part-7-5/

If you want to check their posts in order, you have to go to "older posts" and work your way back from page 5. There's lots of neat stuff there, not just solar.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom