Using a battery operated drill tocrank up a popup ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prior member

Has any one made a fitting that will fit a battery operated drill that will take the place of the hand operated crank.
I am thinking of making one ,but I don't know if the drill will have enough torque.

Jack L

Maybe you don't have to reinvent the wheel.  8)
Check out this socket jenie:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Socket-Jenie-Used-To-Raise-PopUp-Roof-p/lvsg-625.htm

When we had a pop up, we bought one similar to what MiisMermaid linked. Worked great. Same idea works on stabilizer jacks that go up and down with a crank.

The most common cordless drills with 3/8" chucks may not have enough torque. The higher end drill/drivers with 1/2" chuck, 18 or 20 volt Li battery, and two speed gears should work in low gear. Any decent impact driver will certainly work, but will be noisy.

Joel

I looked up what "MissMermaid" said, and that item requires either a 120 volt drill, or a 24 volt battery one.
Evidently my 20 volt battery one won't have enough torque.
I don't think I want to pay $150 for a new  24 volt drill that I will only use a couple of times a year

I'm glad I didn't waste all that time fabricating one !

Jack L

I would caution against the use of POWER here as Well puttin it up there is the TORQUE issue. and putting it back down.. I've seen folks forget something inside and had they used POWER. bad things WOULD have happened.

JackL said:
I looked up what "MissMermaid" said, and that item requires either a 120 volt drill, or a 24 volt battery one.
Evidently my 20 volt battery one won't have enough torque.
I don't think I want to pay $150 for a new  24 volt drill that I will only use a couple of times a year

I'm glad I didn't waste all that time fabricating one !

Jack L

Jack I use my Ryobi 18v cordless and it has plenty of torque to get the job done.

as I recall from my days back over on popupexplorer forum, folks used to talk about making sure they choose a drill with metal gears to handle the torque, as opposed to plastic.  Mostly, if I remember correctly, drills were used for the stabilizing jacks more so than the roof lift.... but I could have that wrong, it's been a few years & I never tried it myself

I guess it would all depends on how heavy the roof is and how much torque it takes to raise it. A 18 volt drill may work just fine. I would take a chance and buy the adapter. If it doesn't work, just send it back. Or just make one.

I am in the same predicament. I have used the Milwaukee 18 volt that has 1400 lbs torque and it wouldn't budge the roof. After seeing how it works this is what i have come up with. The lift mechanism is at the back in the middle of the trailer about a foot higher than the bumper. It has a bicycle chain that goes down and connects to the screw mechanism. When you put power to it much of it is lost because of that chain. This is what i am thinking will work. If i can attach or weld a nut on the shaft at the bottom the power would go directly to the shaft and just spin the bicycle chain at the same time. This would allow you to use the lift tool if needed and raise it by power also. I have not put this in to practice yet, but, i believe my theory will work. If anyone else has already done this, then chime in!!!

I'm to the point now that I just grin and bear it.
I figure it is giving me a good upper body work out !

Jack L

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom