No audio from DVD player - RF modulator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

651drive

I'm currently having a problem with the entertainment system in our 2004 Minnie Winnie: cannot get audio from the dvd player. TV works fine and dvd video is ok. I think I have the problem narrowed down to the rf modulator. Once I found a way to bypass everything between the dvd player and the TV, we have audio and video. Are rf modulators known to cause loss of audio?

"RF modulator" is a fairly generic name for a class of signal converters.  We need to know more about what DVD output you are converting with the RF modulator and the particular brand of modulator. And what input on the tv.  Some modulators are video only, and some tv-in jacks are also video only. The yellow "Composite Video" in or out jack, for example.

If, for example, you are using the HDMI output from the DVD and converting via an RF modulator, the output of the modulator would typically be either component video (3 wires, RGB) or Composite Video (1 wire, yellow jack) PLUS a pair of audio output wires (typically red & white).

Please describe more about the DVD output, the modulator device, and the TV inputs in use.  Also, is the tv the original '04 analog tv, or has it been updated for digital. Since you are using a modulator, I'm guessing its the original.

Thanks for your interest. The system is all original, 2004 vintage and has worked previously. The JVC dvd player connects via AV cables to a RF modulator (ph61159 - with selector switch for channel 3 or4); it in turn connects via coax to a Wineguard selector switch (in addition to other sources - antenna, cable, video tape player, etc.); the Wineguard connects via coax to the TV. I tried to watch a DVD movie and could only get video, no audio. After much investigating and experimenting I discovered that I could re-route the AV cables from the DVD player directly to AV connections on the front of the TV, bypassing the rf modulator and Wineguard and related coax cables. It works - video and audio! Since the TV gives video and audio from other sources, as it always has and since the only problem has been with the DVD audio, I have to suspect the rf modulator is the cause of the problem. I am hoping to learn if others have had similar experiences and I plan to replace the rf modulator to confirm my suspicion.

OK, so it's coax from the modulator thru to the tv.  Can you carry the DVD and modulator into the house or another RV and try it there? That would eliminate several pieces of the puzzle if it works and would pretty narrow down the culprit if it does not.

You should also be suspicious of the Winegard video switch. It too can lose part of the signal.

Those are worthwhile suggestions I can explore when we return home later this week. If it's the Winegard it has to be only the DVD circuit, all other devices work ok. Fortunately I have a temporary solution to keep us entertained for the remainder of our outing. I'll post the final outcome once I can confirm the cause - perhaps it will help someone else in the future. Thanks for your assistance.

The RF modulator is only used if you are feeding RF to the TV, in my Rig the FRONT gets A/V feed from the DVD player via a rube goldberg setup provided by Damon.  (That's factory wiring folks)

The rear via a modulator that is part of that mess..  How well does it work.. I hardly ever use it..

But like any electronic device. YES, it can fail.. IF you have an open AUX in you can add a external RV mod to the Matrix Switch (BOMB) for about 20 bucks at Best Buy et-al.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom