Viewing iPhone 7 images on Apple device vs laptop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debra17

I download my photos to my HP Elitebook 8730w laptop. I create my blog posts on this laptop. When reviewing/selecting photos for a post, I find the photos always look under saturated compared to what I actually saw when taking the photo. So I would do some editing to bring up the saturation and maybe adjust brightness a little. About a month ago I happened to look at my blog on my iPad. The photos looked over processed. So I pulled up the blog on the laptop and compared to the iPad. Then I realized the images looked fine on the iPad/iPhone but were washed out on the laptop.

Since this laptop is several years old, I thought maybe this was an issue with the display or the video card. Maybe a new driver download is needed. Anyway if the image looked good on the phone or iPad I stopped editing the saturation for the blog post. I create the draft post, then before publishing it I would view with the iPad to see how the images looked.

Now this morning I read this review of the iPhone 7 on dxomark website.

https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone-7-camera-review-better-than-ever/

This review discusses the system Apple uses for color display which is DCI-P3. This gives a broader range of colors. The review also states that the iPhone images will look washed out when viewed on a device that doesn?t support this system. OMG - so this is what is happening with my laptop!

So now the quandary - how does one process images for a blog that will be displayed on many types of devices?  Should one bump up the saturation a little for improved viewing on a laptop?  I don?t know if newer laptops support DCI-P3. So maybe it isn?t as much of an issue for newer laptops. On mine it is a huge difference. I?m in redrock country. Colors that appear reddish on iPhone look brown or grayish on laptop. Has anyone else experienced this?

On another note, I really never paid much attention to my cell phone camera - my thoughts were it wasn?t a real camera ?. However Seilerbird?s recent posts about his Pixel camera have prompted me to take another look at this. I knew my iPhone took pretty good photos but I never really put much effort into learning about the camera or into improving my shots.

I now have a greater appreciation for the iPhone camera and its abilities. Thank you for that Tom.

I do still want to get a DSLR though which gives more creative control over the exposure. But great images can be produced on a smartphone camera when used within its capabilities.

You are welcome Debra. There is no way you can publish an image on the net and have it display at its best on every device. There are just too many devices. Make it look good on your computer and don't worry about everyone else.

This is still bugging me as far as a better approach to photos on the web.  I did come across this article which I think has some good info:

https://www.color-management-guide.com/web-browser-color-management.html

Also, I went thru the Win10 color calibration for my display and that did make an improvement. 

I have been using the free image editor paint.net (not the paint that comes with windows) but I have been considering upgrading to Photoshop Elements.  This allows the option of saving the ICC profile in the image file, which will allow the photo to be displayed correctly on wide gamut screens supposedly.

You may also want to check out Gimp. Free program.(open source)

kdbgoat said:
You may also want to check out Gimp. Free program.(open source)

Do you use gimp?  If so how does it work out for you? The reviews I?ve read talked about it being difficult to use and the interface not the best. That kind of put me off of it.

I use the Gimp from time to time, though I don't do anything too complex. It does a fine job with every need I have, and has a great deal of capability beyond my knowledge. You can download it yourself from the Gimp website. and give it a try. Since I've never used Photoshop, I can't compare them, but I did briefly try Photoshop many years ago on someone else's machine and it was FAR from intuitive. And since Gimp is free ($0.00) and is also "free" (freedom) software, you can get the source code and make changes, if that's in your realm.

The Gimp user manual is available online, and there are tutorials available, too. The user manual is also available from within the program.

I see it's time to update my Gimp 2.6.11 to the latest 2.10.0 version.

Larry N. said:
I use the Gimp from time to time, though I don't do anything too complex. It does a fine job with every need I have, and has a great deal of capability beyond my knowledge. You can download it yourself from the Gimp website. and give it a try. Since I've never used Photoshop, I can't compare them, but I did briefly try Photoshop many years ago on someone else's machine and it was FAR from intuitive. And since Gimp is free ($0.00) and is also "free" (freedom) software, you can get the source code and make changes, if that's in your realm.

The Gimp user manual is available online, and there are tutorials available, too. The user manual is also available from within the program.

I see it's time to update my Gimp 2.6.11 to the latest 2.10.0 version.

Thanks for the great feedback Larry. I will look at it and if it has the functionality I need I?m going to try it out. You are right about the photoshop not being intuitive. I had a version of it at one time years ago and never did learn how to use it. The photoshop elements version is supposed to be more user friendly. But I?m sure it still has a big learning curve.

I have Gimp downloaded, but have never used it. I don't have any experience in photo editing, so I want to sit down with it and really try to learn about it undisturbed. I saw it recommended here, and asked a co-worker about it. He's been using Photoshop for for about a hundred years, and is good at it. He tried Gimp and was impressed, especially when it is free compared to the cost of Photoshop.

kdbgoat said:
I have Gimp downloaded, but have never used it. I don't have any experience in photo editing, so I want to sit down with it and really try to learn about it undisturbed. I saw it recommended here, and asked a co-worker about it. He's been using Photoshop for for about a hundred years, and is good at it. He tried Gimp and was impressed, especially when it is free compared to the cost of Photoshop.

I?m in the same boat as far as very limited editing experience. So I know there will be a steep learning curve. Photoshop Elements is aimed at the hobbyist/consumer market and is supposed to be more friendly than the pro version but has most of the same functionality. It has some guided steps to help with the basic functions. It is priced at $99 and there may be a rebate going on now. I wouldn?t mind paying that amount. The pro version can?t be purchased outright any longer. Only available as cloud-based service at $10 per month.

I?m going to the library in Page today and will download gimp and also a 30 day trial of Photoshop Elements. Then I can play with both of them. I was reading the gimp user manual last night. From what I read, when an image is converted to sRGB color space, the embedded ICC tag is not saved. This is the feature I am looking for in hopes this will allow images on the web to be displayed accurately. But I?m not sure, I need to try it out.

Back
Top Bottom