Dometic fridge propane and fire risk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattmac1210

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some advice about leaving an RV fridge on with solar panels to power.  My wife and I are planning on leaving our 2001 coachmen motor home in brothers drivewayfor a week and were thinking about leaving fridge running on propane.  However, becoming increasingly concerned with fire danger and how great the risks are.  Thanks much for any info or thoughts.

The fire risk is minimal, but if possible, you could run an extension cord from your brothers house or garage to power the fridge. It doesn't draw a lot of power, so even a standard 16 ga outdoor cord should work well enough. The fridge also needs 12 volts for the controls, so don't turn off the batteries.

Thanks so much for your quick response.  Unfortunately, he doesnt have power there.  Just keep picturing the pilot somehow setting the rv ablaze and getting back to a charred rv!  Thanks for,your response!

Mattmac1210 said:
Just keep picturing the pilot somehow setting the rv ablaze and getting back to a charred rv!

Unless the RV is very old there is no pilot light. The fridge automatically lights the flame with a little spark (like some gas BBQs you've probably used). The flame then runs as needed, and then is turned off. This is also the same way home gas hot water heaters work. Agree with NY_Dutch, the risk is minimal

Ah yeah its a 2001 and it does use that system you described.  Thanks,  just ouy of curiosity do you happen to know how long that little flame stays on to keep the fridge cool?  I feel like I hear it click every couple of hours of so when in the rv to ignite.

Mattmac1210 said:
  just ouy of curiosity do you happen to know how long that little flame stays on to keep the fridge cool?  I feel like I hear it click every couple of hours of so when in the rv to ignite.

Varies based on outside temp, temp in fridge and selected temp

But... the fridge is very frugal in the use of propane, it is a very tiny flame. Just make sure your tanks will have enough....

In warm-hot weather the fridge burner runs almost non-stop during the day but usually cycles on/off at night.  It will run less since you won't be there to open the door regularly, a major loss of cool.

The risk of fire in an absorption fridge is not much related to the burner flame. Fridge fires occur when there is a refrigerant leak and the hydrogen gas component touches something hot enough to ignite it. The boiler part of the system operates at 350 F., whether on LP or electric. That's hot enough to ignite propane, so a leak right at the boiler vessel can start a fire. A leak anywhere else in the several feet of tubing is unlikely to do so.

The chance that the tiny propane flame alone will ignite something nearby is infinitesimally small. It is very small and fully enclosed in a metal shield. The physical size of the flame is about that of a candle, but somewhat hotter.

Hi Mattmac1210,

I didn't see this mentioned so will add it, be sure your RV is level as that can cause problems of burn though over time. If you unit is level then things will run normal and you will be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom