Equalizing for the first time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alpena Jeff

If it makes sense...
I have 4 Interstate 232ah batteries that came with the coach. Now that the weather has finally broke I have been simulating boondocking in my driveway to get an idea what my limits are.
I have an estimated 300w of solar that also came with. Put the hydrometer on each cell after a full charge and one cell is lagging behind the others.
Can equalizing revive that cell?
Is there anything I need to watch out for?
Fluid levels cover the plates and are close to the bottom of the fill tubes.
Interstate states a 4 hour max on equalization for those batteries.
Any help is appreciated.

It could help it out. I would make sure the levels are high as you can.
During an equalizer charge heat and H2 will be generated so make sure you have ventilation.

Loud and clear Glen.
I'm about to hit the button.
Leave fill caps on?
I have shut off any 12v stuff that I can think of.
Last chance to keep me from doing something stupid!  :-\

Keep an eye on the batteries for excessive bubbling.  Equalizing charge will always generate some, but if a cell is bad it will heat up a lot and really boil away the electrolyte.

I'd leave the caps on (they are vented) to reduce the splatter of of the electrolyte. 

I?ve never done this (kinda been afraid of frying 12 volt stuff, warnings in the Xantrex manual are scary, I believe it says to physically disconnect all 12v items). Batteries are 2+ years old so I?m sure waaaay overdue. I?m full timing so fridge filled with food plus I have a basement freezer - what?s the procedure for protecting 12V items and how long is the process?

My cycle takes 4 hours. I shut off all 12v stuff but didn't unplug fridge or fantastic fans.
I guess I'll find out! :-\
I searched the forum and some say unplug, others say turn off.

Update.
Equalizing automatically ended right at 4 hours just as the book said. It showed voltage at 15.8 during run time. I checked the weak cell that hydrometer showed slightly in the "fair" zone and is now well into the "good" zone. I'm slightly excited!
Last night once the sun went down I unplugged from shore power. Magnum panel showed batteries at 12.7 once I turned a couple lights on.
I left 4 led lights on, satellite and a 42in tv for about 2 hours. Battery was down to 12.4. This is why I decided to equalize today.
Comments welcome.

Sun2Retire said:
I?ve never done this (kinda been afraid of frying 12 volt stuff, warnings in the Xantrex manual are scary, I believe it says to physically disconnect all 12v items). Batteries are 2+ years old so I?m sure waaaay overdue. I?m full timing so fridge filled with food plus I have a basement freezer - what?s the procedure for protecting 12V items and how long is the process?

i'll say.. I equalize on a monthly basis, it's better to equalize and suffer minor corrosion than sulphation and reduced capacity.

do you pull all 12v fuses? I didn't on my first equalization this week and no ill effects that I can find.

How much of a gambler are you? You are applying high voltage everywhere and hoping that each appliance & gadget has enough self-protection built in to avoid any issue.  You could do it a dozen times without a problem, and then Poof! Lights aren't a problem as long as the switch is off, but circuit boards are always connected to 12v power, even when switched "off".

In some rigs all you have to do is disconnect the battery ground from the chassis to isolate them, but in others the same power gets applied to the distribution panel in parallel with the batteries.

solarman said:
i'll say.. I equalize on a monthly basis, it's better to equalize and suffer minor corrosion than sulphation and reduced capacity.

just noticed a typo here.. it  should say "I'd equalize" not "I"

On my previous trailer I never pulled fuses, I installed a disconnect on the supply line to the load center
so all the 12V systems were powered down. equalization was performed by the solar charge controller for
one hour at 16.2 V

that was a bumper pull toy hauler, your Motor home is a different beast all together and I agree with Gary here..
you may have circuits connected that will not tolerate high voltages too many times before they smoke.. 

why not post a new thread to target other MH owners.. someone will have done this already.

Anymore that EQ voltage applied to Trojans is only 2/10v higher than the Bulk charge they recommend anyway. Trojan revised their specs a few years ago

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom