Onan emerald III genset. Model #6.5NHE-1R/26100A. Wont stay running.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Martinh

My onan would not start, so i looked online and found that my fuel pump was not working.
So i took it apart like it showed and cleaned it out.
I filled it with gas, as well as the bowl on the carb.
I put it all back together and then started it.
It started right up and ran great.
I was watching tv for about 15 to 20 minutes when all of a sudden it shut down.
I made sure that i had more then 1/4 tank of guel and that the oil was full.
So i tried to start it and it would fire right up but stop as soon as i let go of the start button.
If i hold the start button, itwould keep running, but as soon as i let off the switch, it stops.
I have no idea what it could be?
My wife and I are both disabled and on a fixed income and cannot afford for a service place to fix it.
This is our home.
1988 Fleetwood Pace Arrow. 37 footer.
Chevy 454, automatic.

Many posts on this subject..Sounds like fuel as usual. Trace back fuel line and look for rubber hoses they may be brittle or cracked..Also replace fuel filter..there should be one inline between fuel tank and genset. Good luck. Others may chime in there are plenty of folks that have had this happen.

Welcome to The RV Forum, Martin!

Martinh said:
So i tried to start it and it would fire right up but stop as soon as i let go of the start button.
If i hold the start button, it would keep running, but as soon as i let off the switch, it stops.

Onan's control board needs to see good oil pressure AND voltage from the generator to keep running when you release the start switch.  If it shuts down when you release the switch, one or the other is missing.

If you can find the oil pressure sender, try lifting the wire from it and see if the engine will stay running.  If it does, don't run it too long as the problem may actually be low oil pressure, not just a bad sender.

You won't hurt anything if you hold the switch down for a few seconds after the engine starts running - the starter will just freewheel.  Do you get voltage from the generator if you do this?

If there's no voltage, the regulator board has likely died. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom