rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Got my first set of hearing aids today.  (Read 1586 times)

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • God bless America!
Got my first set of hearing aids today.
« on: April 30, 2018, 08:22:09 PM »
Getting old I guess. I can see much better now however! 8)
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
2018 GMC Canyon All Terrain toad
Blue Ox Aventa LX - RVi3 - EEZRV
Retired to "the lake" in north Michigan

Madjack

• ---
Re: Got my first set of hearing aids today.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 09:19:27 PM »
I did to until my batteries died
2011 Dodge RAM, Laramie 3500 DRW
Cummins Turbo Diesel; 6 speed
2011 Stone Ridge 5er

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 03:43:38 AM »
Jeff,  good luck with the hearing aids.  My advise, wear them, don't give up, get accustomed to those new things and enjoy life.
I've used hearing aids since the early 80s.  Getting new, top of the line, devices every 3-5 years.  My hearing function, today, is very limited and unless I wear them, can not have a simple conversation with my wife.
My biggest issue is in noisy environments (eateries) being one of them.  Not enjoyable for me, at all.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2014 Cadillac SRX in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

JackL

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 04:46:01 AM »
I like the little gizmo that came with mine that adjusts the hearing sensitivity.
 When we are in a restaurant and there is a bunch of loud people around us, I can just shut them off !

jack L

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 06:06:46 AM »
Getting old I guess. I can see much better now however! 8)

ROFL! ;D 
Years ago I worked with an 84 year old gentleman that wore hearing aids. He loved them except at supper time with the family. He said the silverware clattering on the china drove him nuts.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • God bless America!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 06:24:27 AM »
ROFL! ;D 
Years ago I worked with an 84 year old gentleman that wore hearing aids. He loved them except at supper time with the family. He said the silverware clattering on the china drove him nuts.
I guess I never realized how much hearing loss I had. My favorite word was "huh"
As corny as this sounds, birds chirping this morning, hearing the coffee pot turn off, floor squeaks when I walk across the room, my bones creaking in the morning.
I lost all need for vanity years ago. After nearly 45 years with Judy, who do I need to impress anymore. They are very comfortable and I can hear again. Nuff said!
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 06:54:35 AM »
 Most folks with a hearing loss loose it over time and forget what "normal" sound levels are. When I first went to aids I had to put them on in the morning, sit in front of the TV, have my wife set the volume to a level normal for her, then "adjust" my aids to a comfortable setting. Then force myself to leave them alone for the day,,,,,,the world was a very noisy place!!
 Don't even start me on Tinnitus.>>>Dan
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • God bless America!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 07:14:21 AM »
Most folks with a hearing loss loose it over time and forget what "normal" sound levels are. When I first went to aids I had to put them on in the morning, sit in front of the TV, have my wife set the volume to a level normal for her, then "adjust" my aids to a comfortable setting. Then force myself to leave them alone for the day,,,,,,the world was a very noisy place!!
 Don't even start me on Tinnitus.>>>Dan
I have Tinnitus as well. Crickets in my head 24/7
That is what sent me to the clinic in the first place. No cure.
It's also just freakin great that ins. won't cover any of this. I go on Medicare November 1 and they're no help either.
Not a political statement! Please don't go there!
I still feel blessed. My overall health is good, worse things could happen!
Jeff
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 08:14:23 AM »
I've had my behind the ear (BTE) hearing aids for about 8 years now, and they go in when I get up, and usually only come out for showers and bed time. My Medicare Advantage Plan is with United Health Care, and they provide hearing aids through Hi Health Innovations with a ~$350 copay each depending on the style. Mine are tuned to boost the high frequencies more than the lower range, since that's where my loss is the worst. They also heavily attenuated the frequency that matches my tinnitus, making it almost unnoticeable with any other background noise. Hi Health aids start at $799 even without insurance. They don't have bells and whistles like Bluetooth or remote controls, but they do have adjustable volume and programming, and seem to be a quality product that just gets the job done.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Irover

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 08:17:09 AM »
 :'( I'll be getting hearing aids this month due to tinnitus! Fortunately due to serving three years active duty in the ARMY I finally got approved for them. Had the CRICKETS in my head since I was in the military!  :o
Don't ever give up!! keep pushing toward the goal!!!
USAEUR; 1st Armored Div., E Co.123rd Maintenance Btln. 71-74

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 08:21:49 AM »
Loud rock music as a teenager? Check. Around airplanes for 35 years? Check. Tinnitus? Check. Still holding out on hearing aids. Huh, what did you say?  ::)
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, 970W Solar, Tri-Metric Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 08:39:26 AM »
Dutch, my audiologist did basically the same thing. Mine mask the 24/7 "whine" to a point where it's at least bearable.
Jeff, I hope your new aids help with the tinnitus!
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B
2016 Winnebago Adventurer 37F

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 08:43:42 AM »
As corny as this sounds, birds chirping this morning, hearing the coffee pot turn off, floor squeaks when I walk across the room, my bones creaking in the morning.

Ain't it wonderful to regain what you've been missing for years? And to stop saying Huh? all the time?

I just got a new set of the BTE type in January, my third set of aids in several years. I had tried another brand of new ones back in November but they just weren't doing the job to my satisfaction ,so I invoked the customer sat guarantee and tried another provider/brand. Much better.  Individual needs vary widely, so don't be afraid to use all that service and warranty that was almost surely built into the cost of the aids. The hearing aids themselves are worth maybe several hundred dollars each; the rest of the high cost is for audiologists, testing & adjustments, warranty repairs, etc. Take full advantage.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • God bless America!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 08:55:40 AM »
What I have is the Oticon brand. Very light and comfortable, forgot I had them in early on.
They help with Tinitus but still have a few crickets in there. They are programmed for my high range loss, they are wifi but haven't messed with that yet.
Lifelong friend of the family has her own business so I have these on trial for a couple weeks. She's been doing this for 30 years and gives me the aids at cost. Hasn't charged me for an exam yet. The aids are still $6k or so.
I just got them yesterday afternoon.
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 09:45:45 AM »
I go get my first pair of hearing aids tomorrow. Yep, I have crickets in my head too, and high frequency loss. My wife is thrilled that I'm finally getting them. I'm anxious to try out directional restaurant mode.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y
2018 Ford Edge SEL

donn

• ---
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 10:01:23 AM »
Nicest thing about the new technology is a little device, at least for my brand is,,,,, compilot.  Its a small box about the size of a tictac container with a cord attached to it.  It pairs to my cell phone and television via bluetooth.  When a call comes in I push a button and hear the conversation in stereo right in the middle of my head.  When watching TV its the same thing with the TVs volume down to zero.  Most quality hearing aids have something similar.  Almost as good as hearing aids themselvesl

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 10:09:20 AM »
That's great that you are wearing them Jeff. I have friends that have them, but avoid putting them in. I would think that the benefit would out weigh the inconvenience.  Hopefully I won't find out for a while yet.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 10:28:10 AM »
Here is a thread on hearing aids that I started when I got my first pair 5 years ago. I only wore them for about a year and gave up. They worked great for conversations but terrible for music. So since I mainly listen to music and rarely talk to anyone I find it easier just to not wear them and say huh a lot.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,70117.0.html
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 10:40:16 AM »
I got some BTE hearing aids through the VA several years ago.  Like others here, noisy background was just blocking out conversation.  The aids worked reasonably well, but I have to admit, I have not worn them as religiously as I should have.  But, things changed for me last November.  The day before Thanksgiving Day, I woke up with literally no hearing in one ear.  After several tests, including an MRI, the doc guessed it was a virus in my inner ear and gave me a steroid injection directly through my eardrum.  Then I was on oral steroids for about 10 days.  No help.  Today, the resulting tinnitus sounds like the sound of old non-digital TV with no signal, just the hashy sound of TV snow.  Still almost no sound on the side except the hash.

Anyway, I went to the VA yesterday.  They are providing me with what is called "Crossover" hearing aids.  One device goes in my "good" with the correction needed for that ear.  Another device go behind the bad ear and is simply a Bluetooth device that picks up sound on the side and transmits it to the other side.  I still won't have sound direction detection, but I'll be able to hear sounds coming from that side.  Better than what I've got now, hopefully.  I'm to get the aids in 2-3 weeks.  We'll see how in goes.

Besides hearing loss, what ticked me off is I had just bought a $350 Boze noise cancelling headset.  Loved it.  Then one ear went dead (don't think its related to the new headset  :)  ).  I still use the headset, but the stereo sucks.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 11:15:50 AM »
gives me the aids at cost. Hasn't charged me for an exam yet. The aids are still $6k or so.

Wow, that's even more than I thought  :o . People are just going to have to speak up for awhile longer
Scott

donn

• ---
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 01:33:22 PM »
Wow, that's even more than I thought  :o . People are just going to have to speak up for awhile longer

One word, COSTCO.  They have hearing aids starting around 1500 dollars for a pair.  Name brands like Phonak go for around 2500 a pair.  Best hearing aid deal next to the VA.

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 02:09:41 PM »
Jeff, mine are MicroTech and cost roughly the same as yours. Included are lifetime batteries, checkups, evaluations, and a 30 year experienced Au.D, CCC-A, F-AAA doctor.
Love COSTCO but not for this. It is what it is. I simply can't put a price tag on tinnitus relief.

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2018, 02:11:02 PM »
 Mine are COSTCO  Phonax with the blue tooth add on . They have worked great for the last year and I like the way the phone works for me now.  $2800 for all out the door.>>>Dan   In a noisy room I can touch a button and all sound disappears except the one I'm talking to..
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • God bless America!
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2018, 02:24:18 PM »
Jeff, mine are MicroTech and cost roughly the same as yours. Included are lifetime batteries, checkups, evaluations, and a 30 year experienced Au.D, CCC-A, F-AAA doctor.
Love COSTCO but not for this. It is what it is. I simply can't put a price tag on tinnitus relief.
I get it. Again, these are on a trial basis. They were programmed based on my test results. And they're rechargeable. She did give me backup batteries just in case.
Volume control with a push of a button and Bluetooth access via iPhone if I choose.
It's only money!
My only concern is the crickets....the noise is greatly reduced but I can still hear it if everything is dead quiet.
Did it remove the crickets totally for you Bob or anyone?
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2018, 02:33:19 PM »
I get it. Again, these are on a trial basis. They were programmed based on my test results. And they're rechargeable. She did give me backup batteries just in case.
Volume control with a push of a button and Bluetooth access via iPhone if I choose.
It's only money!
My only concern is the crickets....the noise is greatly reduced but I can still hear it if everything is dead quiet.
Did it remove the crickets totally for you Bob or anyone?

Unfortunately, no magic bullet for that.
For me, it's greatly masked but not gone. Dead quiet is definitely noticeable.

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2018, 02:35:08 PM »
Dead quiet is definitely noticeable.

I miss dead quiet  :-\
Scott

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 02:36:15 PM »
I don't think it is possible to eliminate the crickets entirely. The are generally removed by something like white noise balancing.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

blw2

• ---
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 03:01:53 PM »

so can you explain the tinnitus relief?  How does that work?

I understand that most of the time there is no cure.
but
Do they work sorta like active noise cancellation, putting an opposite frequency sound in the ear?
or is it just amplifying the ambient sounds louder to 'overpower' the tinnitus?

I'm 51 and have had noticeable tinnitus for several years now.  It's more of a steady high pitched tone....not a whistle exactly, and certainly not like crickets...
I blame it mostly on the chainsaw my dad had, the screws wouldn't stay in to hold the muffler on for anything so we'd just run it with no muffler...and of course no hearing protection.  Of course I did a lot of stuff that would affect it.  Started wearing hearing protection in my first job out of college (paper mill) and have worn religiously since.  before that, nothing....shooting, mowing, driving with the window down and the tunes cranked, motorcycles, wood working, and all sorts of stuff. 
I'm convinced that even with protection, I have some loss from my days in paper mills and sawmills, and flying general aviation airplanes, etc...
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 03:05:55 PM »
Mayo did a study about 3 years ago, testing a daily supplement of magnesium (just the 100% dose). I commented to my audiologist that I saw the study had terminated a little early and I assumed that meant something positive. He said nothing earthshaking, but they did feel that they had either noted some modicum of improvement, or at least no further worsening. I asked him what he thought, he responded "I now take magnesium every night".
Scott

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 03:08:30 PM »
Do they work sorta like active noise cancellation, putting an opposite frequency sound in the ear?
Bingo ;D
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots: