Another ATT Mobley Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamsend

I just read my F250 owners manual and it states to not plug any communications devices into the OBD port.  All sorts of dire malfunction warnings including voiding warranty.  I have aux power ports I  can use, but I wondered if anyone uses their vehicle OBD port and if so, have you had any problems?

Big trip to get the trailer and have it solar/lithium oufitted begins tomorrow.  22 months of planning and working towards this day, then just 4 months till full timing starts.  Yes, now I'm excited.

Thanks, Linda

Ford's concern is the vehicle's data and control buss shows up in the OBD2 port ... it's what the OBD2 readers use to display the error codes.  A couple of years ago a pair of hackers demonstrated how a control buss hack could give them complete control of the vehicle, first from a wifi computer in the back seat, then via the cellular connection to the entertainment system from anywhere in the country.  They were able to completely control the car, including things like steering, brakes, and the engine and transmission.

Then they demonstrated what they could do by taking over control of a Jeep Cherokee while a reporter was driving it:

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

Needless to say, this scared the crap out of the auto industry and Chrysler quickly issued a patch to close the hole the hackers used.

A wireless device that plugs into the OBD port would give the same kind of vulnerability if it connects to the vehicle's data buss.

However, the Mobley does NOT have the ability to connect to the data buss - there are no physical connection to those pins - so there's no way anyone can use it to hack into the car.  All it does is take a small amount of DC power from the OBD2 socket.  The only problem you'll have is if the car turns off the 12 volts going to the port when you turn off the ignition.

What I wonder about are the new generation of OBD2 readers that use a PC or Smartphone to display the OBD codes.
It sounds like this can give the same kind of access that was used in the Chrysler/Jeep hack via the entertainment system.  All anyone would have to do is modify the program running on the PC or Smartphone.

Thank you Lou.  Great explanation. I remember hearing about the hacks some years back.  There are so many things I need to use and keep charged for several days of travel in the truck that I thought it might be a cleaner solution to keep the Mobley out of the way.  I'll see how it all shapes up once on the road.

[quote author=Lou Schneider ]However, the Mobley does NOT have the ability to connect to the data buss -
[/quote]

Lou, my T-Moble device (Same device ZTE Mobley) can READ the data bus, appears to be one way data however I can not clear an error code as I do with myBlue Tooth adapter.

Beyond that I agree with teh "Cover our anatomy" posts.. Ford does not want you caonnecting ANYTHING to that port.. just a dealer his diagnostic.update tools.

John From Detroit said:
Lou, my T-Moble device (Same device ZTE Mobley) can READ the data bus, appears to be one way data however I can not clear an error code as I do with myBlue Tooth adapter.

John, your T-Mobile SyncUP is NOT the same device as the AT&T Mobley. They are entirely different ZTE models. The AT&T version only connects to the OBD power and ground pins, not to any of the data bus connections. It works just as well with any other 12-volt source.

John, listen carefully to what Dutch said.  The answer now is the same as the last time you made this claim.

Your T-Mobile device is NOT the same as the AT&T Mobley.  They both just happen to be made by ZTE.  People have inspected the AT&T Mobley and there is NO connection to the data buss pins - the only connections to the OBD2 socket are power and ground.

Back
Top Bottom