Schoolie Conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ctrsunbeam

Hi,

I'm new to the world of Schoolie's.  :) and I'm embarking on the journey of doing my own conversion.  I have a few very important questions that I need an answer to.

1.  Why do people take the original insulation out of the ceiling?  The man that wants to do my conversion says that it isn't necessary because it's already insulated just fine.  I will be installing a wood stove and he says that is enough.  I saw someone take some insulation out of the ceiling and a small portion of the insulation had some mold in it.

2.  Is the original insulation in the ceiling as adequate as some foam board? 

3. What size and brand of foam board should I use?

I do want to do a tongue and groove cedar ceiling.  He says that he can easily apply the tongue and groove over the original ceiling, because the rivets in this bus are flat.  Does that sound right?

I really appreciate you for taking the time to answer these questions!  :)

You are at the wrong forum for answers to these questions. This is a motorhome forum and none of your questions ever really show up here. You would do much better finding a school bus conversion forum.

Welcome to the site! Glad to have you here.
There is a bus conversion board here:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/board,11.0.html

It has a small amount of schoolie stuff, but is mostly tour bus conversion stuff. I wouldn't go as far as to say you are on the wrong forum, as there are many questions we can answer for you, but it would behoove you to check out dedicated schoolie sites as well. The biggest reason we don't have a lot of schoolie here is folks doing schoolies just don't post here. We would welcome your posts and photos  as schoolies are a part if RV'ing, and though most here don't own one, they do intrest a few of us.

Hi and welcome to the RVForum!  It's unusual to have someone  else to a schoolie conversion for you - it's typically a DIY project.Paying someone else for labor would seem to defeat the financial advantage of the conversion. You can buy a used Class A for the cost of the schoolie plus the conversion, but I guess there is still the benefit of "have it your way"!

I'm not aware of any reason to remove the existing insulation unless it is damaged somehow, e.g. the mold you mentioned.  Whether the existing is adequate or is something you will have to judge.  More is better because all RVs get a lot of heat gain/loss through the roof, and school buses are not exactly designed for occupant comfort.  Typical Class A coaches have 2" or more of foam-type insulation in the ceiling and the better models 3".

The floor in a schoolie, on the other hand, probably has little or no insulation. That is worth some attention too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom