rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Flat towing a ford focus  (Read 1414 times)

Teeb

Flat towing a ford focus
« on: April 28, 2018, 04:38:18 PM »
Would like to know the pros and cons of flat towing a Ford Focus.

Oscar Mike

Re: Flat towing a ford focus
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 06:48:49 PM »
I bought a Ford Focus Titanium that is fully set up for towing, the downside is that you have to disconnect the negative battery terminal, so you need a 12V supply from the coach to the toad to power the supplemental braking system.

decaturbob

• ---
  • Living on Tioga Time
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 07:34:16 AM »
ford has had issues with all their automatic transmissions and have issued bulletins that pretty much negate flat towing even when they first said they were good to go.  None of the towable guides update their info so beware.   Ibe pretty leery on towing any ford with an automatic transmission.  BTW, I have a 2010 Ford Escape that has a manual tranny so no issues.
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH towing a 2010 Ford Escape around America

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 08:40:32 AM »
the downside is that you have to disconnect the negative battery terminal, so you need a 12V supply from the coach to the toad to power the supplemental braking system.

A simpler [and probably more reliable] alternative is to wire a secondary power outlet direct to the toad battery.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 08:52:56 AM »
For the reasons Decaturbob cited, I'd check with a Ford dealer for any TSB's that might apply to 4-down towing any Focus.  Focus was removed from the FMCA Dinghy-towing guide altogether in 2017, and before that the 2016 guide dropped some versions of the Focus.  Ford's own 2018 Towing Guide shows only the Focus with the 2.0L engine as 4-down towable.

Be cautious about the sub-model of the Focus, because some have different transmissions and there fore different towing capabilities. Finally, the year is probably critical as well.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

decaturbob

• ---
  • Living on Tioga Time
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 07:16:06 AM »
Remco has a pretty good data base for dinghy vehicles.  This is where you find out you screwed up or almost screwed up as I was a day away from buying a 2011 ford escape with an automatic tranny that was listed as good to go for flat towing in the MH dinghy guide when I found REMCO from a post in another forum.

3 months later I found the manual tranny Escape

http://www.remcoindustries.com/product-pages/towing/
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH towing a 2010 Ford Escape around America

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 09:12:40 AM »
The dinghy towing guides use info provided by the auto manufacturers at the time the article is published. It's not a living document that gets updated as specs get revised and the auto manufacturers have a track record of making mistakes about 4-down towability.   There are several interacting factors involved in transmission survival when being towed, so it's not a simple assessment to make. Major factors are speed, duration, and ambient temperatures, all of which can vary widely.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Oscar Mike

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 02:18:54 PM »
A simpler [and probably more reliable] alternative is to wire a secondary power outlet direct to the toad battery.

Actually no, the option you noted would add an aftermarket assembly to the car which may have voided the warranty. The better option for me was to add a separate 12V source from the coach to the toad. That was easily done.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 03:16:53 PM »

Actually no, the option you noted would add an aftermarket assembly to the car which may have voided the warranty.

Even a shady mechanic would have a tough time making that case. Making an additional electrical connection for a device that has no effect on vehicle operation is about as pure a customer add-on as can be imagined and Magnuson-Moss Act clearly protects the owner's right to do that. Assuming he doesn't mess up and short out the battery or some such!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Oscar Mike

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 05:09:34 PM »
Even a shady mechanic would have a tough time making that case. Making an additional electrical connection for a device that has no effect on vehicle operation is about as pure a customer add-on as can be imagined and Magnuson-Moss Act clearly protects the owner's right to do that. Assuming he doesn't mess up and short out the battery or some such!

For the $50.00 upcharge for a 12V outlet installed from the coach to the Focus, it was an easy decision.