Why did you decided to buy NEW instead of pre-owned?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ziplock said:
I haven't read  anything but the title of the thread, but we bought NEW, because I can't stand the smell of used vehicles of any  sort.  Cars, trucks, Motorhomes.

Motorcycles are  okay used.  They don't smell odd.  Everyone has  their idea of stinky.
Boy are you going to be disappointed. The next time you open the door on your RV guess what that smell is? It is a stinky used RV.
Bill

jymbee said:
Seems that the vast majority of people I have conversations with about a motorhome purchase say buying used is the way to go. These same people state the obvious to support their thinking which mainly has to do with the financial considerations. "Drive it off the lot and BANG there's $xxxx down the drain". As well as "you get the advantage of a unit that's already broken in with the 'kinks' worked out and perhaps some upgrades installed". Well-- perhaps true on both counts but there's still a heck of a lot of new motorhomes being sold these days so those factors are not deal breakers for those buyers.

I guess if one has no financial constraints then new is a no-brainer. But obviously even with the immediate depreciation factor that's not enough to dissuade many. Strangely there's a video out there titled something like "5 reasons not to buy..." in which the author expresses SHOCK that his new purchase depreciated immediately! Uh... really? I guess he never bought an automobile before either.

Are there some warranty issues that favor buying new from a dealer? Better dealer service or a wider network of support if you buy new vs used?

Not a new topic by any means of course but I'd be Interested to hear other people's thoughts as to why they went ahead and bought new vs. used (even if it ends up costing us much more $$$!).  :)
First let me say, thank God there are people with deep pockets who buy new so there are some nice used coaches out there. Please continue so there is a good supply of used coaches. ;D
One thing nobody brought up is you can buy more Rv used than you may be able to new. One big thing most newbies don't understand is there are several levels of quality between base entry level RV's and top tier manufactuers. There is a difference in amenities in most manufactuers different lines.
Here is an example of something I looked at last weekend 2005 Foretravel U320 42
now selling for $174,500.
http://motorhomesoftexas.com/coachrv/foretravel/2005--u320--42--C2086
The new replacement cost for this coach would be over $875,000. I am glad someone bought it new. ;)
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
Boy are you going to be disappointed. The next time you open the door on your RV guess what that smell is? It is a stinky used RV.
Bill

Hahahahahah,  That cracks me up.

Well heck, Hubby and I are used to our own stink.

And If  I  want to  find  out  if  we have left an odor.................I'll just  invite my mother  over to take a  sniff.  If I pass her inspection, I'll be  on a  roll!

Oh  my goodness!  Way too Funny.

Oh,  The Weather has Finally turned In  Maryland.  I did NOT wear my winter coat ALL  week!

Happy Friday!

WILDEBILL308 said:
First let me say, thank God there are people with deep pockets who buy new so there are some nice used coaches out there. Please continue so there is a good supply of used coaches. ;D

Gotta agree with you there, Bill!  ;D  Same goes for all the buyers of new cars, new furniture, new toys, new clothes, new electronics... and everything else I buy gently used.

blw2 said:
sidetrack question...but I've always wondered if delivery drivers sleep in the coach, use the bathroom, etc....

Yes, you treat it as your own for the delivery time which could be a week or more. They want you to try everything and make sure it works. Something to think about, Huh!

I might die broke, but that was my plan all along anyway. I want to spend every nickell I have except the last nickell...everyone can fight over what's left.

God willing I will be able to enjoy my new coach for  many years to come... at my age the coach will probably outlast me anyway.
[/quote]

Absolutely!! that's exactly my plan too... why die with millions left over in the bank!??!! Some people are so poor. All they have is money.

Cheers,

Travis

wijames2002 said:
Yes, you treat it as your own for the delivery time which could be a week or more. They want you to try everything and make sure it works. Something to think about, Huh!

Hmmm... that's exactly opposite of what I've read elsewhere. The response to a similar question make it clear that the drivers were not to use the primary facilities and even had to sleep in a sleeping bag rather then the RV bed. Perhaps the difference being that there's more than one system for delivery of these things??

[EDIT]
Quick search found:

Can I sleep in a Drive-Away unit?
Yes. Many of the vehicles we ship will have a couch. We ask that you not disrupt the bedding area. Be prepared with a sleeping bag. A contractor will not be able to log sleeper berth time in any Drive-Away vehicle

https://horizontransport.co/horizon-transport-drive-away-faqs/

Can't  afford new... so pre owned is my only option...I'd love to buy new, if nothing else, just for the warranty and MTBF.

My wife wanted a specific model and floor plan.  Gotta keep the wife happy.  Looked low and high for used but no luck.

jymbee said:
Hmmm... that's exactly opposite of what I've read elsewhere. The response to a similar question make it clear that the drivers were not to use the primary facilities and even had to sleep in a sleeping bag rather then the RV bed. Perhaps the difference being that there's more than one system for delivery of these things??

[EDIT]
Quick search found:

https://horizontransport.co/horizon-transport-drive-away-faqs/

I do stand corrected. Your quote is correct, they did ask us to sleep on the fold out couch instead of the main bed and use our own bedding. They didn't ask us to use a sleeping bag though.

We bought new, but would have willingly bought used if the right rig came along.

We have previously camped in tents, a pop-up, and two 24 foot travel trailers (both with no slides). All but the tents were bought used.

For the better part of three years, as we approached retirement, we researched motor homes. We (I) spent hours on line looking at floor plans, options, number and placement of slides, residential vs. short queen beds, water tank capacity, etc, etc, etc. We went and looked at dozens of Class C's and A's in our price range, both new and used. We narrowed it down to a couple units. We decided on the (only) model that had the all options we considered as "must haves". After about 6 months searching, we were unable to find a reasonably priced unit with all the options we wanted, so we ordered one new and brought it home last month. Absolutely no regrets. We figure this will be our one and only motorhome, might as well get what we wanted.  ;D

I would have bought new if I could have afforded it.  We bought 3 new 5th wheels over time and never regretted it. 

I really envy those that can buy new.
Every thing in my life is pre-owned. IE RV, car, truck, home, motorcycle (3), Segways (2), cat, Wife, clothes (DAV store), investments, change in my pocket, etc.

We had a particular model we wanted. We looked for it used for 4 years then gave up and bought new.

In my opinion, it depends on a number of factors.  Our first coach was purchased new, ordered from a dealer a couple of hundred miles away.  Bought new because the dealer offered a price the was close to a 2 year old used one.  The warranty was worth the price difference. 

Our second unit was purchased used from a local dealer.  It had initially been purchased by someone who apparently didn't know what they wanted.  There were 2 motorhomes sitting next to one another, same year, make. model, paint, equipped exactly the same.  MSRP on the new unit was just over $200,000. "Sale price" for the new unit was about $175K.  The used unit had about 10 months left on the factory warranty and had less than 3,000 miles on it.  We bought it for $120K.

So, it depends on what you can find...

Wasoki said:
In my opinion, it depends on a number of factors.  Our first coach was purchased new, ordered from a dealer a couple of hundred miles away.  Bought new because the dealer offered a price the was close to a 2 year old used one.  The warranty was worth the price difference. 

Our second unit was purchased used from a local dealer.  It had initially been purchased by someone who apparently didn't know what they wanted.  There were 2 motorhomes sitting next to one another, same year, make. model, paint, equipped exactly the same.  MSRP on the new unit was just over $200,000. "Sale price" for the new unit was about $175K.  The used unit had about 10 months left on the factory warranty and had less than 3,000 miles on it.  We bought it for $120K.

So, it depends on what you can find...

This is very similar to our situation. We knew the exact model we wanted and found it 2,000 miles away in AZ.
The original owner had a spot he planned to keep it at permanently and realized a 5W was better for him.
Two year old MH with 3,000 miles on it. The paperwork showed he paid 214,000 for it. I have no idea what he got for trade in, but we bought it for 132,500. Unfortunately for him, he took a bloodbath on it. As you say, It depends on what you can find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom