rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Why did you decided to buy NEW instead of pre-owned?  (Read 1922 times)

CMS

• ---
Re: Why did you decided to buy NEW instead of pre-owned?
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2018, 09:35:54 AM »
We bought new, but would have willingly bought used if the right rig came along.

We have previously camped in tents, a pop-up, and two 24 foot travel trailers (both with no slides). All but the tents were bought used.

For the better part of three years, as we approached retirement, we researched motor homes. We (I) spent hours on line looking at floor plans, options, number and placement of slides, residential vs. short queen beds, water tank capacity, etc, etc, etc. We went and looked at dozens of Class C's and A's in our price range, both new and used. We narrowed it down to a couple units. We decided on the (only) model that had the all options we considered as "must haves". After about 6 months searching, we were unable to find a reasonably priced unit with all the options we wanted, so we ordered one new and brought it home last month. Absolutely no regrets. We figure this will be our one and only motorhome, might as well get what we wanted.  ;D
Chris & Randy, and co-pilot (mutt) Chara

If we burn our wings flying too close to the sun, then the moment of glory is over before it's begun.

2019 Coachman Leprechaun 319MBF

Mile High

• ---
  • Lone Tree, CO
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2018, 11:23:07 AM »
I would have bought new if I could have afforded it.  We bought 3 new 5th wheels over time and never regretted it.   

Brad and Dory
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E (new to us 2016)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FMCA 457993 / WIT W170238

rls7201

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2018, 05:10:38 PM »
I really envy those that can buy new.
Every thing in my life is pre-owned. IE RV, car, truck, home, motorcycle (3), Segways (2), cat, Wife, clothes (DAV store), investments, change in my pocket, etc.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2018, 08:36:36 PM »
We had a particular model we wanted. We looked for it used for 4 years then gave up and bought new.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Wasoki

• ---
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2018, 04:39:22 PM »
In my opinion, it depends on a number of factors.  Our first coach was purchased new, ordered from a dealer a couple of hundred miles away.  Bought new because the dealer offered a price the was close to a 2 year old used one.  The warranty was worth the price difference. 

Our second unit was purchased used from a local dealer.  It had initially been purchased by someone who apparently didn't know what they wanted.  There were 2 motorhomes sitting next to one another, same year, make. model, paint, equipped exactly the same.  MSRP on the new unit was just over $200,000. "Sale price" for the new unit was about $175K.  The used unit had about 10 months left on the factory warranty and had less than 3,000 miles on it.  We bought it for $120K.

So, it depends on what you can find...
Jim Sullivan
Newmar Canyon Star 3710
WASOKI
(We Are Spending Our Kids Inheritance)

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2018, 06:57:43 PM »
We buy new so we can order the unit exactly as we want it...

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2018, 10:10:59 PM »
In my opinion, it depends on a number of factors.  Our first coach was purchased new, ordered from a dealer a couple of hundred miles away.  Bought new because the dealer offered a price the was close to a 2 year old used one.  The warranty was worth the price difference. 

Our second unit was purchased used from a local dealer.  It had initially been purchased by someone who apparently didn't know what they wanted.  There were 2 motorhomes sitting next to one another, same year, make. model, paint, equipped exactly the same.  MSRP on the new unit was just over $200,000. "Sale price" for the new unit was about $175K.  The used unit had about 10 months left on the factory warranty and had less than 3,000 miles on it.  We bought it for $120K.

So, it depends on what you can find...

This is very similar to our situation. We knew the exact model we wanted and found it 2,000 miles away in AZ.
The original owner had a spot he planned to keep it at permanently and realized a 5W was better for him.
Two year old MH with 3,000 miles on it. The paperwork showed he paid 214,000 for it. I have no idea what he got for trade in, but we bought it for 132,500. Unfortunately for him, he took a bloodbath on it. As you say, It depends on what you can find.
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B
2016 Winnebago Adventurer 37F