rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Norcold Muddypaws mod  (Read 2470 times)

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • God bless America!
Norcold Muddypaws mod
« on: May 02, 2018, 11:49:30 AM »
I slipped some styrofoam between the thermistor and the fin.
Fridge currently under 15a shore power in my driveway.
I've had it powered up for 24 hours.
The temp setting is on 5.
Fridge is 34 degrees and freezer is 14 degrees. It looks like the fridge and freezer temps have stabilized.
Any idea how to get the freezer at or near zero?
Fridge and freezer are empty.
I have a 2 year old model 1210IMT
In the past I've needed to have the temp setting at 7 or 8 to get the fridge this cold.
I've never been happy with the freezer temp.
Thanks, Jeff
Outside temp is low 70's and cloudy.
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
2018 GMC Canyon All Terrain toad
Blue Ox Aventa LX - RVi3 - EEZRV
Retired to "the lake" in north Michigan

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
Re: Norcold Muddypaws mod
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 06:07:39 PM »
I will say this.. I hear a lot of folks complaining how "Loud" the Air conditioners are

I keep my fans on all the time, mind quickly learns to tune 'em out and I actually have to LISTEN for them to hear them run.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 06:11:39 PM »
I will say this.. I hear a lot of folks complaining how "Loud" the Air conditioners are

I keep my fans on all the time, mind quickly learns to tune 'em out and I actually have to LISTEN for them to hear them run.

Yo, John. I think you might have mixed your threads.  ??? We're talkin fridges here  ;)
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, 970W Solar, Tri-Metric Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 06:11:49 PM »
My also two year old 1210 averages mid-high 30s with the freezer typically mid single digits (currently 36/9) - the coldest freezer temp I've seen was 5 I believe - I've seen the freezer drift into the teens. Running on propane, setting is 4. I too would like a colder freezer since as a fulltimer I may have food that's in there awhile. (I have remote thermometers so am not opening the doors to get these readings. I watch temps very closely and so also have non-remote thermometers, mercury and digital, to confirm that the remotes are accurate.) I keep the setting such that none of the thermometers hits freezing, but sits as close to it as possible.

I believe Muddypaws has reported freezer temps of -18F which is by far the coldest absorption temp I've ever heard reported, colder in fact by a few degrees than the last two freon cycle upright freezers I've owned. So I guess he got a good one.
Scott

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 03:10:58 AM »
First of all you should be loading both the fridge and freezer at least with several gallon jugs of water to buffer the temps of either, otherwise you'll chase your tail forever

Once thats done it makes a HUGE difference where you are looking at the temps: sensing on the shelf or up against the rear plate; there can easily be a 10 degree delta on that. I don't think any of these 1200ís will ever be the same. I changed to Helium but with the addition of my internal fridge fan and 4 extremely quiet Noctura fans on the exhaust vent controlled by my ARP and turning at 50%, with a full fridge and freezer I can maintain a fridge temp of 34, and freezer between -2 and -3 in temps anywhere from 65 to 115 as measured last summer. That on setting 5..  AFAIC, fans in the proper places make ALL the difference.

Also note that every two days the 1200 shuts down for 4 hours to do a defrost. Toy can cycle the fridge off and on before that happens, or get an ARP with the option that does this in the background and cancels that cycle.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 09:24:10 AM »
I put 4 12v computer muffin fans on the output vent to suck air through the system.  They are controlled by a 180F thermostatic switch clipped to one of the fins.  That made a huge difference.  The box cools down and recovers roughly twice as fast.  I got most of the parts from eBay.

It's been working this way for a few years.  I had to adjust the position of the thermistor because it was too cold.  Currently it's at 35/-13 using my highly accurate 'El cheapo' thermometers and full of 'stuff'.  The real benchmark is rock hard ice cream and ice cold beverages. 
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 12:38:28 PM »
Has this thread been modified or started new in mid-stream.  I see that it refers to a mod on Norcold fridge and I have had problems with mine for a couple of years.  The basic problem has been that when I bought the coach in 2014, I could set the fridge at 5 and both freezer and fridge would be in the right range.  But since 2016 I have had to set it on 8 to get normal cooling/freezing.  I remembered somebody mentioning moving the sensor that is on the fins and I did that.  There was some gunk under it but it has not made much difference.  It does seem to  have been exceptionally hot the past couple of summers so maybe that is the problem.  Anyway, I would like to know some of the fixes people are trying to alleviate this type problem.  Thanks.

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Cats: Grace-11 & Squeak-6, Winnie the ShihTzu - 16 mos

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 12:53:00 PM »
Moving the thermistor is not intuitive.  As adjustments go the centermost position on the fin will make the box warmer.  The further you move it out from the center (vertically) the colder.

If you set your rig up so that the refer side gets afternoon sun it will be warmer in the box.  But since nobody wants hot afternoon sun on their 'patio' that's the way it usually works out.  Even my refer gets warmer in the hot afternoon sun.  Sometimes even bumping on 39F.

My observation, based on several Norcold 1200 series refers is that setting the control panel to any value higher than 4 does nothing.  It may actually make the box warmer.

This is the thread I started 4 years ago.  I had been having success with the mod for over a year at that point.  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,77620.msg704239.html#msg704239

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 01:14:09 PM »
The temperature sensing thermistor is in the fridge compartment. When it gets down to the set temperature, cooling will stop, regardlwss of what the temperature is in the freezer compartment. There are only two ways to make the freezer cooler.

The first way is to cool the refrigerator even more. That will make the freezer cooler, but will have the undesirable side effect of freezing everything in the refrigerator.

I have the same problem, and I found a solution. Connect two 8 ohm, power resistors in series, connect the pair of them to your 12 volt supply, and throe them into the refrigerator. At 12.5 volts, they will dissipate about 10 watts, which will be just enough heat to keep the refrigerator from freezing, while causing it to run with a higher duty cycle, thus causing the freezer to get colder.

This resistor https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-8-ohm-non-inductive-resistor should work, but you may need to adjust the effect. A larger resistor will add less heat, while a smaller one will add more. you an find them at https://www.digikey.com/products/en/resistors/through-hole-resistors/53?k=Power%20Resistors.

Joel
Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 01:58:58 PM »

I have the same problem, and I found a solution. Connect two 8 ohm, power resistors in series, connect the pair of them to your 12 volt supply, and throe them into the refrigerator. At 12.5 volts, they will dissipate about 10 watts, which will be just enough heat to keep the refrigerator from freezing, while causing it to run with a higher duty cycle, thus causing the freezer to get colder.

This resistor https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-8-ohm-non-inductive-resistor should work, but you may need to adjust the effect. A larger resistor will add less heat, while a smaller one will add more. you an find them at https://www.digikey.com/products/en/resistors/through-hole-resistors/53?k=Power%20Resistors.

If you want to add heat in the refrigerator compartment, just jumper the door switch so the interior light is on all the time.  It'll produce about the same amount of heat as the resistor.

gravesdiesel

• ---
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 03:10:56 PM »
I got this for mine and love it.  Unlike a household or commercial refrigerator, the RV units are "still air" and have very uneven cooling inside.  This little fan setup really helps!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-Refrigerator-Deluxe-Fan-to-INCREASE-cooling-inside-with-METAL-GRILL-/181208057633
2016 KZ Spree 262 RKS
2003 Dodge 3500 4 door flatbed 4x4 diesel, 6 speed
1996 Dodge 3500 extra cab flatbed 4x4 diesel 5 speed
2006 Arctic Cat TRV diesel 4x4 ATV
(2) 1981 Yamaha G1 2 cycle golf carts
Many other diesels on the farm!

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • God bless America!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 03:15:27 PM »
If you want to add heat in the refrigerator compartment, just jumper the door switch so the interior light is on all the time.  It'll produce about the same amount of heat as the resistor.
Hey Lou. How do you jumper the door switch?
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 05:19:45 PM »
Because my fan blows across the entire aluminum fin assembly, I have a clockwise circulation in the entire fridge.. Everything is the same temperature, and in MY case it makes no difference where my thermistor is at, because the temp is the same across the entire assembly: left to right, top to bottom... It shuts off when the BOX temp is where it belongs, not just that one fin. Thats also why I dislike that pair of fans on the plate shown above.. They are trying to make 4 fins in the fridge work to cool everything down instead of the entire assembly.. That makes no sense, and it doesn't solve the problem of moving air around in the box. Mine does it all in one-fell-swoop.

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 05:48:09 PM »
To circle back to OPís original question, assuming the fridge maintains a mid 30s temp on a mid setting, there isnít anything that can be done to make the freezer colder (aside from making the fridge too cold), correct?  ???
Scott

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 07:09:57 AM »
Moving the thermistor is not intuitive.  As adjustments go the centermost position on the fin will make the box warmer.  The further you move it out from the center (vertically) the colder.

If you set your rig up so that the refer side gets afternoon sun it will be warmer in the box.  But since nobody wants hot afternoon sun on their 'patio' that's the way it usually works out.  Even my refer gets warmer in the hot afternoon sun.  Sometimes even bumping on 39F.

My observation, based on several Norcold 1200 series refers is that setting the control panel to any value higher than 4 does nothing.  It may actually make the box warmer.

This is the thread I started 4 years ago.  I had been having success with the mod for over a year at that point.  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,77620.msg704239.html#msg704239
Where did you mount the computer fans?  Are they controlled by a switch?  Moving the thermistor on the fin (vertically) - is higher or lower the preferred position to achieve more cooling?  Sorry to sound like a dummy but it looks like you have solved the problem.  Frankly I don't care what the freezer temp is(as long as it is freezing)  but the fridge is needing to be at least on #8 at the present - haven't yet tried it this season.  Thanks for the info.

Bill
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:21:00 PM by Bill N »
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Cats: Grace-11 & Squeak-6, Winnie the ShihTzu - 16 mos

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 08:53:04 AM »
We're on the road today.  When we settle in to our new spot I'll fire up the laptop and see if I can find the pictures etc.

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 11:19:58 AM »
To circle back to OPís original question, assuming the fridge maintains a mid 30s temp on a mid setting, there isnít anything that can be done to make the freezer colder (aside from making the fridge too cold), correct?  ???
Questions:
Where are you measuring both of your temps?
Is it with or without food, or at least test water jugs in the boxes?
Is there a circulation fan in the fridge box?
Exhaust fans other than the OEM from NORCOLD?
-is this on LP, AC, or both?
-if LP, when was the last time you removed the burner?

Each one of the above have made a difference in how ours performs, or how itís preceived to be performing. 36/9 is high to me, but itís entirely possible that the unit is hitting its set temp and shutting off not knowing it has additional heat to shed.

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 11:22:25 AM »
SCVJeff, Could you provide some details on your circulation fan in the fridge box?

Thanks, Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 02:55:32 PM »
SCVJeff, Could you provide some details on your circulation fan in the fridge box?

Thanks, Tom
only if you tell me how you arrived at that handle.. :)
I used an 80mm Noctra fan mounted directly behind the light, blowing left to right. Its mounted with a small piece of VHB tape. Iíd post a picture, but the process here is so convoluted trying to do it on an ipad, Iíve given up. Ill email you pick if you want to look?

grooving grandpa

• ---
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 05:25:24 PM »
OK 8 Muddy Paws, I have an open schedule. When are you coming over to do mine, before or after lunch.
Lou Gaudin
On The Road Again
San Jose Ca

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 05:43:41 PM »
SVCJeff, Ha. I started using that handle a decade or two ago when I started flying RC Heli's and participating in related forums. Though I'm a fixed wing pilot I don't have any time piloting rotary wing aircraft (Plenty of time as a passenger). Though I no longer fly RC heli's I continue to use the name as it's embedded in my brain and one I won't likely forget :)

If you already have a picture I'll PM my email. Otherwise don't bother.

If you fins are like my Dometic then the air blows across the edge of the fins, not necessarily through them.

My DW packs our fridge so full I'm not sure there's room for a fan let alone circulation. LOL

Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 06:15:15 PM »
OK 8 Muddy Paws, I have an open schedule. When are you coming over to do mine, before or after lunch.

I'll start scrounging up the parts.  We'll talk about it at lunch next week.

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • God bless America!
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 06:41:17 PM »
Muddy, I'm in north Michigan if you're passing by.... ::)
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018, 06:58:44 PM »
SVCJeff, Ha. I started using that handle a decade or two ago when I started flying RC Heli's and participating in related forums. Though I'm a fixed wing pilot I don't have any time piloting rotary wing aircraft (Plenty of time as a passenger). Though I no longer fly RC heli's I continue to use the name as it's embedded in my brain and one I won't likely forget :)

If you already have a picture I'll PM my email. Otherwise don't bother.

If you fins are like my Dometic then the air blows across the edge of the fins, not necessarily through them.

My DW packs our fridge so full I'm not sure there's room for a fan let alone circulation. LOL

Tom
i have pix..
yes, it blows BY them, not through, but you're still exchanging the box air across them and thats what counts.

I started RC about the time the multi-rotors started coming out, and have built a rather large one 550mm long before they were commercially available. It can easily pick up and carry a Phantom

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 10:01:07 PM »
Muddy, I'm in north Michigan if you're passing by.... ::)

The DW would like that.  She was born in Adrian.   ::)

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2018, 06:07:07 PM »
Bill N,

I'm going to have to take some more pictures.  And in order to take pictures I will have to be home and have access to a good ladder.  Next week.

Russ,  AKA 8Muddypaws

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • God bless America!
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 06:52:22 PM »
Hey! We finally found out his name? 8)
I just figured you were in witness protection.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 06:54:37 PM by Alpena Jeff »
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2018, 07:00:39 PM »
That's witless protection.

Some already knew.  But is that my 'real' name?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:03:25 PM by 8Muddypaws »

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • God bless America!
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2018, 07:09:57 PM »
And the fact that the dog in your pic has 8 paws...that's Oprah material! I'm talking goldmine! I'll make some calls.
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427

grooving grandpa

• ---
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2018, 07:39:51 PM »
Jeff, Muddy Paws is not cheap. He takes a big lunch.  but do can you expect from a good RV Buddy
Lou Gaudin
On The Road Again
San Jose Ca

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 01:02:38 PM »
Bill N,

I'm going to have to take some more pictures.  And in order to take pictures I will have to be home and have access to a good ladder.  Next week.

Russ,  AKA 8Muddypaws

Thanks Russ.  No hurry and be safe on that ladder.
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • God bless America!
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2018, 05:29:49 PM »
OP here.
I'm about to expose how little I know about wiring stuff. Feel free to laugh, I laugh at myself sometimes!
I received my shipment of 2 noctua 120mm fans that I plan on installing behind my exhaust vent blowing out. They come with a "Y" connector to connect them together. My thought is to wire them directly to two of my 4 Interstate 235ah batteries with a fuse and a toggle on/off switch between the battery and fans.
The lead that goes to the batteries looks like a basic 4-pin plastic connector. The wires are colored green, blue, yellow and black.
Questions:
Am I on the right track?
How do I connect to the battery bank? Plain English please. ???
Do I need to be concerned that my battery meter SOC shows 13.8? Is over voltage an issue?
What size fuse do I use?
What size wire!

Am I the only grown man that doesn't know how to do this? This is embarrassing!
I do have skillz....this isn't one of them.
Thanks, ummm Joe Smith

Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2018, 10:41:59 PM »

Don't wire anything directly to the battery.  +12v and ground are easy to find right in the refer.

User a Norcold thermostatic switch and mount it right next to the existing thermostatic switch.  It turns the fans on at 120F and off at 115F.  Easily available on Amazon & eBay.

I got some quick pictures of my install today but I need to shrink them down to a size I can post here.

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2018, 03:23:29 AM »
Hi Jeff,
Itís well after 1am and I need to be up early for a TV transmitter run early in the morning. If you can wait Iíll get you the proper pinouts for the fans, but as mentioned you can get power right at the fridge. These draw very little power. 

10-7...

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • God bless America!
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2018, 05:51:39 AM »
Thanks for stepping up Russ and Jeff. This Norcold thing has really gotten under Judys skin and you know what that means! :-\
Standing by....
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:12:45 AM by Alpena Jeff »
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2018, 11:02:45 AM »
On the road (passenger) , but two questions:
Did you buy a Y adapter for the fans?
Which Noctra did you buy?

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • God bless America!
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2018, 11:15:23 AM »
On the road (passenger) , but two questions:
Did you buy a Y adapter for the fans?
Which Noctra did you buy?
it came with a Y adapter. It's the 120mm. NF-F12 PWM
D.C. 12v
.6w
.05a
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2018, 06:10:12 PM »
Yes I am cheap.

The first picture, Four Fans, shows the low rent way I mounted the 4 12 Volt muffin fans to the 'grill'.  Yup, those are cable ties.  I bought a set of 4 Thermaltake fans on eBay for about $12.

The second picture, fan closeup, shows what I did with the tachometer output from the fan.  I cut the yellow wire.

The third picture, 12Volt Source, shows where I picked up +12V and Ground.  Right off the recall box.  I used 2 Y adapters I had in my junk box.

The fourth picture, Fuse, shows where I placed the inline fuse on the +12V wire

The last picture, Thermostat, shows where I added the thermostatic switch.  The existing thermostat can be seen behind the added one.  It has two sheet metal screws.  I used the nearest one to mount one side of mine and a binder clip, yup, a binder clip, to hold the other side of the ring mount in place.  The thermostatic switch is exactly the same as the Norcold part.  It turns the fans on at 120F and off at 115F.

Getting the 12V and ground up to the top of the coils where the thermostat switch and fans are was tricky.  I used a fish tape to pull them down from the top along the side of the refer.  I didn't want them touching anything hot.

I used cable ties, velcro cable wraps, wire nuts, and a connector off of a computer power supply so I could remove the grill.  Low rent and dirt cheap.  But it works well and has worked for over 5 years as is.

Note that all four fans are wired in parallel.  They draw so little current that a 5A fuse is more than adequate.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:56:29 PM by 8Muddypaws »

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2018, 06:11:46 PM »
The last picture

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2018, 11:28:27 PM »
After a beautiful day on the mtntop, finally on communications range again..

If you havent found it already, I assume your fans are 4 wire?  If so, YELLOW is +12, and obviously BLACK is Ground. I have a .jpeg of the pinout i can email if you need it

Curious which fans you bought? There are several flavors of the NF-F12 Noctra, and I found out the hard way the the 3000RPM fans are much noisier than the 2000RPM PWM models. As mentioned above, I run mine through a speed controller and found out that the 3000RPM version doesn't like to start at 1/3 voltage, which is roughly 50% spin rate. I just changed the two i had on the back of the Norcold for 2000ís a few weeks ago. So much better..

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • God bless America!
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2018, 04:05:57 AM »
Jeff, I figured out the wire puzzle but thanks.
My fans show a rotational speed of 1500 or 1200 with the LNA adapter.
Thanks for helping!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 04:10:20 AM by Alpena Jeff »
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • God bless America!
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2018, 04:17:37 AM »
Russ, I appreciate all the work putting those pics together. I have a better understanding what my next move is...I think.
Again, my fridge compartment gets to 34-35 on setting 4-5 no problem. My issue is getting the freezer at or near zero. It likes settling in around 8-10 degrees. not terrible temps just was hoping for colder.
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2018, 07:07:41 AM »
my fridge compartment gets to 34-35 on setting 4-5 no problem. My issue is getting the freezer at or near zero. It likes settling in around 8-10 degrees

My 2 year old 1210 has identical temps. In 100 outside temps in the afternoon the fridge might drift to 38.
Scott

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2018, 07:40:00 AM »
Thanks for the photos and writeup muddypaws.  They will be valuable in helping with the problem if we don't sell the coach this fall - medicals are overtaking us but want to give it one more shot this summer.

Bill
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2018, 12:30:28 PM »

My 2 year old 1210 has identical temps. In 100 outside temps in the afternoon the fridge might drift to 38.
is that with or without contents?

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2018, 01:17:46 PM »
is that with or without contents?

With. Freezer does need defrosting (pretty good coat on the back). Curious to see if that has any effect on freezer temp
Scott

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2018, 05:29:50 PM »

With. Freezer does need defrosting (pretty good coat on the back). Curious to see if that has any effect on freezer temp
well..... the Eskimos build igloos from ice, so its a pretty good insulator

Gnutzer

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2018, 12:02:51 AM »
Hello
I have a 99 Monaco with a Norcold 1200 that is showing temps in the upper 40s in the fridge compartment.  I had the fridge set to 9 but after reading this thread and another with the Muddypaws Mod I dropped the setting to 4 tonight.  I need to get some styrofoam to fully implement the Muddypaws Mod.

I have purchased a Norcold thermostat and am planning on installing 4 fans at the top of the fridge vent to pull air out.  I will also install a 3 way switch to allow me to run the fans all the time, shut them off, or run them in "auto mode" using the thermostat to control when they go on and off.  I am also considering installing fans (eBay Norcold Evaporator Fan 15") on the inside fins to move air.

Where do I need to install the Norcold Thermostat to ensure that I get the fans to come on when I set my switch to auto mode and can the install be done using the access on the roof and the panel on the side of the RV?

Thanks
Mike

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2018, 02:48:28 AM »
Have you verified that the stock Norcold fans BOTH work and that the fan thermostat is good?

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2018, 08:53:40 AM »
Right next to the thermostatic switch that runs the two 'stock' fans if you can get to it.  (Top right looking at the refer from the rear). On mine it was easy because the refer is in a slideout and the upper access panel/vent is right at the top of the refer.  The one I added is held on by one small sheet metal screw and a metal binder clip. ;D. I think the clip could do the job just fine.

I think you could put it on just about any fin you can reach.  The standard part turns the existing fans on at 130 and off at about 115.  Seems like they run nearly 100% of the time anyway.

Gnutzer

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2018, 08:43:56 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses SVCJeff and 8Muddypaws.  I will check the stock fans and thermostat once the wind dies down here.  Turning the fridge down to 4 did seem to help drop the temp to the low 40's today although I still need to add the styrofoam  8)

Thanks again for the advice and pointing me in the right direction.

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2018, 09:36:37 PM »
A couple of things for your project...
Consider a speed control for the new exhaust fans. You will be moving a LOT of air with those fans on 12v, and you wont need that volume most of the time. I spin mine probably around 9íish volts, and it sounds like about 60% of full speed or so and still have plenty of headroom if needed.

Also on mine I added an ARP with the fan control. This is what runs the 4 top fans. Its good because I can set my temp range. Mine is set at the lowest point just because.. so i essentually have two different sample points: Top- that still runs the Norcold fans. And the lower coil that runs the  4 exhaust fans on the speed controller. There have been days that both come on and run till sundown

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2018, 10:58:10 PM »
For a few extra bucks you can buy fans with built in speed controls.  I used on to replace one of those noisy as all get out bathroom vent fans in our last fifth wheel.  At it's lowest speed it moved quite a bit of air and you couldn't hear it at all.

I had no idea that the ARP system had a fan speed control too.  Nice.

johnaye

• ---
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2018, 06:43:37 PM »
I had a Norcold 1200.   (:(  After being rebuilt with an Amish unit, it would not go below 19 in the freezer and 38 in the refrig.  Before rebuild the refrigerator would not go below 50.  Replaced it with a residential unit.  Much happier.  My freezer is at -2 and my refrigerator gets down to 37.  I could set the refrigerator lower.
John and Becky
2004 Alfa See Ya DP
2008 Honda CRV

Experience comes from mistakes.  I have a lot of experience

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2018, 10:32:26 PM »
This is about Norcold fixes, not who replaced them

Gnutzer

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2018, 11:52:26 PM »
I got the fridge running pretty good now it seems.  The high temp reported over the last week was 42 in the fridge and 22 in the freezer.  Temps normally seem to fluctuate between 36 - 40 in the fridge and 10 and 18 in the freezer.  Temps here have been in the upper 90's so hopefully these fans buy a few more years of use out of the fridge.  I ended up installing 1 fan at the bottom of the fridge to pull air in and two fans up on top the fridge in the vent and 3 mini fans inside the fridge to move air around.  I also replaced the Norcold snap disc on the top of the fridge as well. 

Thanks again SCVJeff and 8Muddypaws for the advice.