Tahquamenon Falls area to kick some of the last snow and some birding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

Short trip (Friday to Monday) to Michigan's UP.  Just had to get away from winters "cabin fever".  Fresh air, cold air, kick some snow, cold air, get outside and did I forget to say cold?  Had a really great time.  Good just to get outside for a bit.  Stayed at Tahquamenon Fall State Park.  Sites have electricity and there is water available at the parks pump house.  The park service will make sure that your reserved camp site is plowed out by the time you arrive if needed.  Our only real requirement is electricity for heat in the van.  We really had a great time and it is always wonderful to be able to get outdoors.

https://youtu.be/Km7vUjDtByc

Looks beautiful this time of the year.

We were there last June and the mosquitoes were unbearable no matter how much spray we used.

Tom

Len & Jo.
Thanks for posting. I live just a little north of you. We retired from Shelby Township.
Yea, bugs can get bad up there once the weather breaks. best to make the trip before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.
JMO

THat is one of the most beautiful spots on the planet.. I've been there a couple of times in warmer weather and would love to return some day.. If I can find someone to share with that is.

Alpena Jeff said:
Yea, bugs can get bad up there once the weather breaks. best to make the trip before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.
JMO

I've been there in June and by that time the park has sprayed for bugs and it was ALMOST bug free especially compared to
where I was staying which was a couple hundred feet from Lake Superior - the mosquitoes there were 1000 times worse
than at the falls.

So IMO you don't have to give up the entire Summer to visit the Falls but it's probably better to give them a little time in the Spring
to spray for the bugs and for the chemicals to work before you go, to have the best time possible, as far as fewest bugs.

The Tahquamenon Falls State Park staff is introducing activities to increase the parts year round use.  One activity is in  February on Saturday nights they have a mile or so lantern lit snowshoeing trail to go on.  When we first started going up there birding at the end of April they would have half a dozen or so sites plowed out.  Now there are dozens and if you reserve one that isn't cleared they have it cleared the day you arrive.  My son-in-law had never been winter camping or snowshoeing so I took him up there in February.  No we DID NOT really rough it, we had electric heaters in our tents.  The hardest part was getting my "old" body down and up getting into and out of my tent.  Will do it again next February with my son BUT we WILL use the TARDIS.  I do prefer the cold of winter to the heat of summer.  Can always put more layers on in winter and I would get arrested if I stripped to much off to stay cool in the summer.

Note the snow difference between the two trips that were 2 mounts apart and the falls flow rate.  And of course a fall visit at/near the color peak is also great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYjm0DsECoQ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom