Cummins turbo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most turbos have a whistle sound. You did not mention if it is through exhaust or somewhere else. Exhaust is normal. If you are hearing it elsewhere it may have a leak somewhere. I doubt that is your issue though.

I would have to say NO.  You should not be able to hear anything I would call a "whistle" over the sound of the exhaust.

I diesel the size of the ISL (8.9L displacement) sucks a huge amount of air continuously, whether the turbo is boosting or not. Any small leak between the engine and the air filter is probably going to whistle as air gets sucked thru a small hole. A dirty air filter make it worse, increasing the suction.

Are you sure it is air intake whistle? What abut the air compressor (driven off the front of the engine) or some other part of the air system. That runs as soon as the engine starts and could have its own whistle leak.

My 2005 Holiday Rambler with the Cummins 400 actually made a loud turbo whistle sound that you could hear when standing at the rear outside, and I quite liked it.  I do believe it is quite common as I did hear it on another Holiday Rambler.

Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom