How old is too old?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

olin_meeks

I just purchased a 1991 Coachman 5th wheel - 33 ft.  The rig is really old but in incredible shape (like new as much as a 1991 can be like new).  The gentleman I bought it from had bought it new and maintained it immaculately.  I walked in - he hit the trigger to move the slide out and it worked perfectly.  I walked the inside with a high-intensity LED flashlight looking for leaks ... none.  He has gone as far as even replacing the locks on the "side bins" because over the years they had gotten a little "tough" to lock and unlock.  His whole home and property was in that similar immaculate condition so I figured this was a legitimate situation.  ALL the lights and appliances worked - down to the fridge that switched automatically from electric to propane automatically - in a 27 year old rig.  I mean, it was like walking into a time warp.  So, I have never owned a camper trailer and I bought this one to put on a lot behind my dad's place for a stationary "camp" to use with the kids ... but after finding this gem I got to thinking ... "how old is too old?".  Could I buy a fifth wheel truck and have a few years of fun with this thing traveling around before I put it on the lot behind dad's??

Any experiences with this or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If it's in the condition you describe, then there should be no problem taking it on the road (double check the date on the tires, of course). There are older rigs out there still being used. Just be sure you check the GVWR on the trailer and be sure that whatever truck you buy can tow that, plus you need to figure that about 20% of that weight goes on the 5th wheel, so the truck's payload capacity should be above that, not only to allow some margin, but also to handle whatever you put in it, such as people, gas, baggage, tools, whatever.

Larry N. said:
If it's in the condition you describe, then there should be no problem taking it on the road (double check the date on the tires, of course).

And repack the wheel bearings.

It's a house, so condition is the only really important factor. There are things that should be checked (some examples already cited by others), but they are the same things you should check on a 5-10 tear old rig.  Others include the condition of the roof membrane and seals, tires/wheels/brakes, and the battery(s).

Surprisingly, there hasn't been much fundamental change in the underlying technology. I would replace the 12v converter/charger with a modern digital-electronic unit, replace most of the light bulbs with LED equivalents, and upgrade any ceiling vent fans with A Fantastic Vent or MaxxAir.

Inspect and replace suspension components.  RV mfgs have used plastic bushing for years.  They dont last and once worn will wear out the steel parts.  Get a wet bolt kit.  Same for the bearings and brakes.  Get all new.  Tires?  Date code.  If there over 4 years old replace.  Flush and sanitize the water lines and fresh tank, load your stuff in and go camping.  BTW there is no reason a well maintained RV cant last nearly for ever with proper care and maintenance.

donn said:
Get all new.  Tires?  Date code.  If there over 4 years old replace. 

IMHO, I think 4 years old for tires isn't bad. When you get up to 7 years old and greater then you'll start having issues. That's just my opinion.

RV trailer tires don't have a good track record beyond 4-5 years.  It's not so much that they are trailer-type tires; it's because most RV trailers come with tires that are barely adequate for the load and so are working under max stress during their life. That tends to shorten their theoretical life span (which is 10-12 years in ideal conditions).  A trailer tire that is sized well for the axle loads and kept properly inflated could well last 7-10 years.

Sounds like you?ve made an excellent find. Much better built then, than now....other than some technological advances. As others have said, tire age would be my first concern. After that, time since last wheel bearing pack and if brakes are in good working order. You may have ?hit the jackpot?!

A 1991 RV with a slide... wow! That's got to be one of the first RVs in the industry that had them. If memory serves me, that's the first year slides were put into production. Sounds like you may have found a gem. Welcome to the RVForum.

Kev

Sounds like you might have found a diamond in the rough that all of us "buy gently used from private party" folks have looked for! But as mentioned, be aware that there are some underlying maintenance issues that may need attention, that you might not otherwise know to look for as a new RV owner. Mechanically, trailers are pretty simple... brakes, bearings, tires, minor suspension. You could get all that stuff checked for proper function by any truck/trailer shop if needed. Tires you can research yourself from the DOT code on the sidewall (How to determine the age of your tires). As far as the RV body, you mentioned checking for interior leaks and function of others have recommended roof inspection. Eternabond is a good product to reinforce/seal roof seams, the most likely location for leaks.

Keep checking out your new rig, stay involved here, and we'll all help each other to keep heading on down the road.  ;)

Back
Top Bottom