Yellowstone to Deadwood, Route 16? Please advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbanks05

Planning a trip this summer.  I have a 32 foot class C motorhome with a tow.  Will be traveling from Yellowstone to Deadwood.  I have read that route 14 is not a desirable route.  How is route 16.  It looks like it gains quite a bit of elevation.  How is the grade traveling from west to east?  Any advise would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Hi, we went in the opposite direction from Spearfish to Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone.

90 to Buffalo
16 to Worland you will go up to 10k at Powder River Pass
20 to Kirby
120 to Cody to see the Gooseberry Badlands
14 to Yellowstone

Road was pretty uneventful apart from a pronghorn running under our truck....  :'(

Hope this helps...

That depends on what you mean by desirable. There are three practical routes across the Big Horns, and a few unpaved routes as well. I have towed my 5th wheel over all three of the paved routes with no trouble, and I'm a flatlander from Illinois.

Route 16 is the least steep, but also the least scenic. the only time I ever had any difficulty there, was last September during a snow storm. See the first photo below.

Route 14 is a little steeper, but is far more scenic. If you go that way, the short trail to the falls at the Shell Canyon visitor center will be well worth a stop. This will be an easy drive going up, and slightly more difficult going down.

My favorite it the combination or routes 14A and 14. Route 14A can be a bit hairy going west, bot you wont have that problem. If you do go that way, Bighorn Canyon National recreation Area east of Lovell is an under appreciated gem. It has fantastic scenery, and both big horn sheep and wild horses are often found right along the road.

Joel

Attachments

• 14a.jpg
    14a.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Bighorn Canyon NRA.jpg
    Bighorn Canyon NRA.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Sheep.jpg
    Sheep.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 10
16 is no big deal. It's a nice drive.  Enjoy it.  you will see plenty of trailers and RV's making the trek.

We went the opposite way from Deadwood, and it was a good drive.  Recommend you make a detour and see Devils Tower before stopping in Deadwood.  It's worth a stop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom