Heated water hoses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

This fall I plan on heading east and may find myself in some chilly surroundings at times. Just looking ahead I've started investigating heated water hoses - there are a lot of them and prices are all over the map.

What features should I be looking for, what should I watch out for?

Thx

We were in Virginia, Oct - Jan 2013 and found we needed one I bought the best guaranteed not to freeze.  25' for a little over $200.  I did not freeze and was very well made, I don't remember the name, but it was worth the money.  It got down into the single numbers many nights.

We also ended up buying a generator after heavy wet snow took out the power lines up on mountain slopes and it took days to get them fixed.  We were by Wythville VA.

When in freezing temps, I just filled my fresh water tank, disconnected and drained the hose. We could go 4 to 5 days before I needed to fill the tank again.

In freezing temps the only thing I kept hooked up was the electric.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
When in freezing temps, I just filled my fresh water tank, disconnected and drained the hose. We could go 4 to 5 days before I needed to fill the tank again.

Yes, that's what I did this last winter in the AZ high desert where I saw low teens, and it is of course foolproof (and cheaper!). Just thinking about mid twenties overnight temps where with a heated water hose I could stay fully hooked up if I wanted. Still just mulling it over, I've been in the southwest for about 6 years now so going to be quite a transition going back into four seasons.

Alaskansnowbirds said:

I've read several posts that indirectly said that they disconnected their sewer hose in cold weather.  While it wouldn't be a problem, I don't undrestand why it would be necessary.  The sewer hose isn't pressurized, so it won't be full unless you are dumping a tank, and it won't freeze during a dump.  Am I misunderstanding something or just missing something?

jayc2640 said:
  Am I misunderstanding something or just missing something?

I think under extreme conditions the hose can become brittle and possibly crack. Otherwise I agree and have left them out over the years with temps in the twenties and have never had a problem. Below that I pull it in.

If you have a heated hose, did you ever wonder what keeps the hydrant from freezing?  You need to disconnect in freezing temperatures so that the frost-proof hydrant drains.

I have two lower cost solutions depending on your RV.

First,, I got a string of old fashing incandscent type ROPE LIGHTS from Big Lots and a couple of rolls of fancy Duct Tape.. (someone custom ordered a roll with RV theme, I use Polka dots or zebra stripes)

Taped the lights to the hose, use a Thermo-plug (Thermostatic thing designed for Eves heaters or stock tank heaters) to control it.  That is what I used to use, and still have.

BUT. due to some other issues, not with the RV but with one park's water suppply (TOO MUCH CHLORINE)  I took to filling the on board tank (Which is heated) and then using it.  If it's cold out I DRAIN the hose after filling the tank

Did that for many years watering stock on my Dad's farm.  works. Just be sure to "Walk" teh hose so you drain all the water out.  Only once has this method "Failed" me.. well. actually it idd not fail but the park froze so I could not fill the on board tank, but my hose was not frozen, and I just took on water half an hour later at the park I was already planning on moving to that day. Frost proof (so long as you unhook the hose) hydrants there. Same as on the farm.

Would I need a heated hose if the temps only got down to 27 for about 3 hours
at night then temps were about 60 during most of the day?

lynnmor said:
If you have a heated hose, did you ever wonder what keeps the hydrant from freezing?  You need to disconnect in freezing temperatures so that the frost-proof hydrant drains.

We wrapped the hydrant with foam pipe insulation and a heat cable all covered by fiberglass insulation and duc tape and we made it through.  I probably would not want to camp like that again but we had to be there for my wife's Travel Nurse job in Pulaski Hospital.

jayc2640 said:
I've read several posts that indirectly said that they disconnected their sewer hose in cold weather.  While it wouldn't be a problem, I don't undrestand why it would be necessary.  The sewer hose isn't pressurized, so it won't be full unless you are dumping a tank, and it won't freeze during a dump.  Am I misunderstanding something or just missing something?

I don't do it but some people position their sewer holes so there is a dip at the end creating a trap. Maybe they're concerned the water in the trap would freeze.

Would I need a heated hose if the temps only got down to 27 for about 3 hours

Probably not, but I would say that's about the limit for gambling.  The low temp isn't as critical as the total hours below 33 F, cause it takes time for the cold "soak" to freeze the water in the hose solid.  If it was very cold much of the evening, the water might already have reached 33-34 degrees and it doesn't take as long for it to drop 1-2 more to 32 and freeze. However, if the evening temps were higher and then dropped quickly, it takes longer for the water to freeze.  It's all a gamble.  ;)

Gary RV_Wizard said:
If it was very cold much of the evening, the water might already have reached 33-34 degrees and it doesn't take as long for it to drop 1-2 more to 32 and freeze. However, if the evening temps were higher and then dropped quickly, it takes longer for the water to freeze.  It's all a gamble.  ;)

Several years ago I learned my lesson when I lost a couple of the flat roll-up hoses in that scenario thinking I would be fine, hence my original question

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom