Can you pick up your new RV from the factory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

If one does a custom order with a dealer in their  home area and the factory for that RV is hundreds of miles away, is it possible for you to pick it up at the manufacturer's and drive it yourself to the dealer? Given somebody has to drive it there, if one could do it themselves I would think that would be an ideal way to do that first "shakedown" cruise.

[quote author=jymbee]... is it possible for you to pick it up at the manufacturer's and drive it yourself to the dealer? [/quote]

It depends on the manufacturer. Fewer manufacturers are offering factory delivery, but those that do, offer superior service and resolution of many issues before you drive away. Oh yes, they charge for this option but IMHO it's well worth it.

The few factories that do that charge [substantially] extra for it. The PDI and prep effort is normally the dealers responsibility, so you have to negotiate a credit of some amount on the purchase at the dealer, and pay the factory out of your pocket. You complete the actual sale transaction through the dealer and he handles the title & registration paperwork as well.

I know that Rev Group has a factory delivery option for American Coach, but don't know if it is available for all their brands or not.

We've taken factory delivery for several motorhomes and I highly recommend it, although not as many manufacturers do it these days.  The factory can fix items that the dealer may not be able to fix or takes forever to do.  An example was our first Monaco where the engineers had just made a small electrical wiring design change which had the unintended consequence of affecting the rear exterior lights.  We had engineers tracing wiring to find the problem.  They fixed it and had to track down a few other units that had the same recent change.  An issue like that probably cannot be fixed by the dealer.  Taking factory delivery also means you do not have to go to the dealer but the dealer still handles the paperwork.

ArdraF

Your brand choices will be limited and, in some cases, very expensive coaches.

Newmar offers factory delivery.  All of your really high end luxury custom coach manufacturers like Foretravel, Marathon, Liberty, Newell do factory delivery.  There are likely others but I believe the list is rather short.

Adding to the other replies, you could try using the Search button above with the search term "factory delivery" (including quotes) to find prior discussions. As has been said, the number of manufacturers offering this option has decreased. When Monaco used to charge $750 for factory delivery, I and others thought it was a great deal. I suspect the option costs a lot more nowadays with the manufacturers who do offer it.

Tom said:
Adding to the other replies, you could try using the Search button above with the search term "factory delivery" (including quotes) to find prior discussions. As has been said, the number of manufacturers offering this option has decreased. When Monaco used to charge $750 for factory delivery, I and others thought it was a great deal. I suspect the option costs a lot more nowadays with the manufacturers who do offer it.

Thanks to all for the info. Obviously a number of factors involved that I didn't realize!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom