Alaska from Jasper - route query

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougie Brown

We're happy to be back in the US after a year back home in the UK. Since 2011, we've visited 6 months out of each year, travelled many miles (and kilometers in Canada ;)) and visited some truly amazing places. Usually, we're here January to June but this year, it's May to November as we're heading for Alaska (from Wisconsin) in convoy with our great friends and their 5th wheeler, ending up in.... Arizona. :eek:

What's the consensus please regarding routing from Jasper, AB? We've been a little ways up the scenic route before from Hinton but know nothing of its condition further north. We've also been west out of Jasper on the Yellowhead (16) heading for Whistler but again, never north. My feeling is 16 to Prince George, then north all the way up the 97 Alaska Highway, but I'm interested in knowing what the 16's like up to Dease Lake before joining the 97 that way?

See map below.

Thanks,

Dougie.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 21
Welcome back! Got a question for ya'. Hows that wrap job on your coach holding up? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

You don't actually take the Yellowhead all that way - you get off at exit 16 and take the Cassiar Hwy north. See https://www.themilepost.com/highways/cassiar-highway/

I haven't been that way in years, but the Cassiar has gravel stretches here and there and they can be rough in the spring (which is anytime before mid-July!).  We really like that route, though. A layover in Stewart & Hyder is a treat, with good access to a couple glaciers and the superb bear-viewing area outside of Hyder.  You have to take the turnoff at Meziadin Lake to reach them, but there is a glacier enroute as a reward.  Dease Lake area is no worse (or better) than any other stretch, and the campground along the river there is a great spot for viewing moose. They actually wade out into the lake to graze on the water weeds. It's a great fishing area too, if you are into that.

The Cassiar is typically a little rougher than the Alaska Hwy, so figure on some slow-going in the gravel stretches. Winter & spring take a toll on the road surface and it doesn't get quite the same repair priority as the Alaska Hwy.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
You don't actually take the Yellowhead all that way - you get off at exit 16 and take the Cassiar Hwy north. See https://www.themilepost.com/highways/cassiar-highway/

Thanks for that, Gary. I'll have a look today.

kdbgoat said:
Welcome back! Got a question for ya'. Hows that wrap job on your coach holding up? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Brit response:- "It's still jolly good"
Murrican response:- "FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!"

It's done maybe 6,000 miles, 9 months in Arizona outdoors, 12 months in Rockford IL indoors, and lots of different conditions in between. Here it was yesterday. Actually we'll be selling it towards the end of this trip as it's our last one.  :-\

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 23
Yep, lookin' good from what I can see. A few here have inquired about wraps, and I try to direct them to your posts about it.

Your map shows bypassing Dawson Creek and instead taking 29 to Ft. St. John.  While shorter by a few miles, you'll miss the "official" start of the Alaskan Highway in Dawson Creek ... Milepost 0, park, museum, etc.

The Cassiar is now paved all the way, with exceptions for construction. We came down the Cassiar in August 2016 and enjoyed the drive and visit to Stewart and Hyder. Here is our blog posting about the Cassiar:  http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/2016/09/cassiar-hwy-stewart-bchyder-ak-and-bear.html

Keep in mind it is a slower, but a little shorter in mileage than the Alaska Hwy.  Coming from the south the first 100 miles are so are good smooth asphalt with center stripes.  The remainder is the normal width highway, but no center stripes. Any size rig can take this route.  Most sections are best driven at 45-50 mph.

Dougie Brown said:
We're happy to be back in the US after a year back home in the UK. Since 2011, we've visited 6 months out of each year, travelled many miles (and kilometers in Canada ;)) and visited some truly amazing places. Usually, we're here January to June but this year, it's May to November as we're heading for Alaska (from Wisconsin) in convoy with our great friends and their 5th wheeler, ending up in.... Arizona. :eek:

What's the consensus please regarding routing from Jasper, AB? We've been a little ways up the scenic route before from Hinton but know nothing of its condition further north. We've also been west out of Jasper on the Yellowhead (16) heading for Whistler but again, never north. My feeling is 16 to Prince George, then north all the way up the 97 Alaska Highway, but I'm interested in knowing what the 16's like up to Dease Lake before joining the 97 that way?

See map below.

Thanks,

Dougie.

As long as you are planning your daily drive to 100-250 miles a day any of the major paved highways are fine.  If you want to drive the Alaska Hwy and make 350-400 miles a day, it is doable, but it is a 10 hour grueling drive. Longer if you want to stop and admire the views at pullouts.

We went north last summer on the Cassier. Very pretty and enjoyable drive.  On the way back from Alaska we took your planned route through Dawson City then south to Prince George. Those roads were pretty decent. The worst sections on the Alaska Hwy were west of Watson Lake all the way into Akaska until you get to Tok. We really enjoyed 3 nights going and 2 nights on the way back that we spent in Whitehorse. Nice historic town.

Back
Top Bottom