Any problems in using acetone to clean fiberglass and caulk before sealing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smelt62

I have a 2001 Coachman Class c that I'd like to recaulk in some areas, especially the junction of the overhang and the cab roof-has a round looking gasket there but the cab did leak internally when driving through a rainstorm last year.  Any problem/issues with using acetone to clean the areas of gasket/caulk/fiberglass before recaulking?

Thanks very much.

Thanks, Rene - I meant the narrow area under the class c overhang where it attaches to the cab roof, not the actual RV roof.  There's just the fiberglass on the underside of the overhang,  and the metal roof of the cab, plus the gasket between. 

Acetone is a very potent solvent and potentially will soften the surface and remove the shine. Wiping with a cloth dampened with acetone is probably not risky, but longer exposure could be. It will very quickly soften any plastic-based parts that may be near by. Ditto for lacquer thinner, benzene, etc.

I prefer mineral spirits for areas like that - it is a good solvent for adhesives and oily residue, yet no risk of harm to the surface.

Short answer.  No.  Acetone dissolves resin.

Suggestion: try Awesome Orange from The Dollar Store.  I use it on black streaks and it works better than black streak remover. 

Thanks very much - will go with the mineral spirits and/or the Awesome Orange!  I appreciate you guys saving me from a bad move.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom