Equalizer hitch and backingup the TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Treebeard

I know that Equilizer advises to remove the anti-sway arms before backing up the trailer, but is it OK to back up without removing if backing up relatively straight? 

Reid

Yes they do recommend that you remove the sway bars but you can back up if you are careful not to turn too sharp and i would not be backing up any hills with it connected

For what it?s worth, we?ve never removed the bars before backing.  We have had to do some pretty acute turning to get into some tighter spots and the only issues we?ve had have come when the trailer ended up being much lower than the hitch ball, at which point it became difficult to unhitch. On those rare occasions when we were ready to leave, we hitched up without the bars in place and then hooked them in once we had pulled out to a level area.

Guess I never read the directions that closely.  I never removed the bars and backed up under all kinds of pretzel turns and cranked that truck and trailer unmercifully.  I even managed to drop one of the bars off a couple of times and one time the end of one bar caught as it came off and I sheared the two 5/16 grade 8 bolts off like a paper cutter sheers paper on the "L" bracket that the arm lays on.

Of course this does make all kinds of racket and moaning and groaning of the tortured steel.

Sounds like a Cat being caught in a kennel full of bull dogs.

So you will be fine if you are more gentle than I have been.

I always take the anti sway bar off before backing into a camp site. Mine only has
2 cotter pins that secure it to the WD hitch. I usually leave the WD bars on until I get
parked. Unless your maneuver is going to be really acute I think that it's safe to leave them attached.

Ha!  Thanks for the replys, especially your's Tom.  Got a good chuckle out of that one!

Back
Top Bottom