Replacing A/C unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fireguy880

Hey guys......

New to the 5th Wheel world. Have a few B/P's in the past. Picked up a 1992 35ft Kountry Star for a steal that needs a little work.

A/C is Non-Op. Checked the normal stuff..... Capacitors, Thermostat, Wiring and its a no-go. Its a ducted unit with no visible inside panel. This is where I am a little lost when it comes to replacing it. Its an OLD Dometic unit.
My buddy at the FD suffered some hail damage to his camper and the insurance replaced the entire A/C unit even though there was nothing wrong with it. Its a Carrier 68RV14102A, has the 68RV0010KA lower unit for a ducted system that he will give me for 1 covered 24hr shift....... Cant beat that!!!!

So....... Is there a way to make this work????
The carrier unit has a lower unit that has the return air grate and its controlled via a wireless thermostat.

Being this old, Is it a basement unit or on the roof? and what is it not doing? have you checked to make sure you have 110v and make sure it travels to the board. And have you made sure your thermostat works and that you have signal going to the board on the unit?

ColeMartindale said:
Being this old, Is it a basement unit or on the roof? and what is it not doing? have you checked to make sure you have 110v and make sure it travels to the board. And have you made sure your thermostat works and that you have signal going to the board on the unit?

Its a Roof Unit. Its not doing anything...... I have not checked 110 to the board, I just verified that the breaker was on. Did not check the thermostat either.
Guess i have a couple of more things to check!!!

There are a couple of concerns in swapping out your old a/c for the newer Carrier:

1. If the new one is ducted and the old one is not, you need to either add ducting to the trailer or convert the Carrier to a non-duct type, which means a different interior half of the system. I don't know if Carrier even has that option.  If the old one is ducted, the physical retrofit should not be too difficult.

2. If the 5w is ducted, it has a wall thermostat and thermostat compatibility is likely to be an issue. The old rig will have an analog thermostat, while the new a/c will be configured for a newer digital type. Sometimes its just a mtter of flipping some DIP switches on the a/c circuit board, and sometimes it requires a new thermostat.

3. Some Carriers use a hand-held remote control rather than a wall thermostat. That would seem to make it simple, but I have no experience with that type to relate to you.

Back
Top Bottom