Charging the battery question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prior member

When I plug the trailer into a RV park power pedestal, does the trailer's battery get charged.

Jack L

Most RV's will have a Converter that, when plugged into shore power, provides 12v power to run the 12v accessories and charge the battery.

Without more info it's impossible to know if your trailer has the converter.

Tom

A very easy way to test is to take the negative battery cable off of the battery and plug your coach into shore power. Test the battery cables with a volt meter put the positive on the positive cable on the battery and the negative on the cable you took off the battery and you should be getting anywhere from 12.4 volts to 14.6

In theory yes. If everyting is working as designed.

However this assumes erverythign is working as designed.

HOW TO TELL. Turn off Park circuit breaker, Plug in, Go insider the trailer and turn on some lights. Have partner turn on the breaker, if the lights brighten.. YOU ARE CHARGING (that's the easy way)

There are more precise ways

Thanks all.
My wife asked me yesterday and I thought it did, but wasn't sure.
The trailer is a new one and does have a converter

Jack L

ColeMartindale said:
A very easy way to test is to take the negative battery cable off of the battery and plug your coach into shore power. Test the battery cables with a volt meter put the positive on the positive cable on the battery and the negative on the cable you took off the battery and you should be getting anywhere from 12.4 volts to 14.6

You don't really need a volt meter for this test. After you disconnect the battery cable, if the lights stay on, then you have a charger.

If you do have a volt meter (and you should), you can avoid disconnecting the battery cable. Measure the battery voltage when not plugged in. Then plug in and measure it again. If it is higher when plugged in, you have a charger.

Joel

Great Horned Owl said:
You don't really need a volt meter for this test. After you disconnect the battery cable, if the lights stay on, then you have a charger.

If you do have a volt meter (and you should), you can avoid disconnecting the battery cable. Measure the battery voltage when not plugged in. Then plug in and measure it again. If it is higher when plugged in, you have a charger.

Joel

The only down side about that is that if you leave the cable on and test with a volt meter you will not get a correct reading from the battery because you will be trying to read the converter output as well as the battery and not get an accurate reading. And taking the cable off the battery and just checking for lights is not sufficient due to that the lights that run off 12v can light up with only 10v.  Just make sure you have avg 13.5 volts from converter.

ColeMartindale said:
The only down side about that is that if you leave the cable on and test with a volt meter you will not get a correct reading from the battery because you will be trying to read the converter output as well as the battery and not get an accurate reading. And taking the cable off the battery and just checking for lights is not sufficient due to that the lights that run off 12v can light up with only 10v.  Just make sure you have avg 13.5 volts from converter.

That's true, but also not relevant to the original question. The OP's question was "When I plug the trailer into a RV park power pedestal, does the trailer's battery get charged."

If the object is to get a correct reading from the battery, then it is much easier to unplug from shore power, or tp flip the breaker on the pedestal, or to flip the breaker for the converter, than it is to disconnect the battery cable.

Joel

Great Horned Owl said:
That's true, but also not relevant to the original question. The OP's question was "When I plug the trailer into a RV park power pedestal, does the trailer's battery get charged."

If the object is to get a correct reading from the battery, then it is much easier to unplug from shore power, or tp flip the breaker on the pedestal, or to flip the breaker for the converter, than it is to disconnect the battery cable.

Joel

Yes, but it will not charge the battery if it is only putting out 10v. you would never have a full charge,  thats the only reason I say to check the voltage but you are correct your converter is getting 110v and putting voltage out if the lights are on 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom