Cost of Solar Panels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butchiiii

Now that California has made it a law that all new single family dwellings
have to install solar panels let's see if the cost comes down. Fingers crossed  :D :D

You are just as likely to see the cost go up, because in CA it is no longer an option. Contractors will hide the cost in the overall price of the home, so the solar cost won't be as visible to buyers and that usually makes it less price sensitive.  But keep those fingers crossed anyways, and maybe there will be a pleasant surprise!  ;D

Not sure why anyone would think that an increase in the demand for a product could cause the price of the product decrease.

Hello folks,

There's also the matter of the recent taxes imposed on solar imports, no?

Not trying to burst anyone's balloon, but when supply is restricted or made more expensive (due to the new taxes), and demand goes up (due to the new CA law making it mandatory), then at least in the short term the price tends to go up.

In the long term, with the volume growth from the CA law and hopefully domestic production picking up,  the prices will tend to go down (or so I've been told in Economy 101 ;-) ).

Crossing fingers here for that long term to come as soon as possible... Hope Springs eternal ;-)

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

We just had a 14 Kw system installed on the roof of our house (40, 350 watt panels.) In fact, it hasn't even been turned on yet, because we're awaiting final inspection. I think solar makes a lot of sense in this part of the country, but it ain't cheap.

My biggest problem with this new law is that it's just another example of big government thinking they always know what's best for me, and it always ends up costing me money. Pay attention over the next few years and you'll start seeing new laws that will dictate what kind of trees and plants you can have, and where you can plant them to ensure that they don't shade solar panels. They'll pass laws mandating that you keep them clean, and that they generate a minimum amount of power. I know how the people who run this state think.

I guarantee you that this new law will increase the cost of solar, and of buying and owning a home, in California.

Kev

Back
Top Bottom