How much do you pay in your state?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVRAC

I was wondering, how much you folks pay every year when renewing the motorhome license plate in your state? Are some states fees a lot less?

Sure. There are many different ways states decide on registration fees. I used to live in CA, and when I relocated to SD the license fees dropped about 50%. Some states have just a flat fee for a license plate. Either way, if states don't collect the tax on registration fees, they will make it up somewhere else.

Just got our renewal for our 2012 Winnebago Tour. Registered in South Dakota and it is $850.

Ridiculous as I just gave them $4000 for sales tax and registration in April.

In Arkansas, we pay personnel property tax on the vehicles when we pay our property taxes.  Tags on my '00 Bounder are $35/year. 
Just got Vietnam Vet tags for my Jeep and the lady apologized for having to charge me $6.38(because I used a card).  Told me they'd be $3.38 next year.
My last coach was an '88.  I had antique tags on it that were a $5 or $10 one time fee.

NY State has no personal property tax, and our weight based motor vehicle registration fee for any vehicle over 6951 lbs is $70/year. There are a few counties that collect a mass transit or other road use tax at registration time, but that only adds another $25 or so. The prices sometimes seem higher because we pay in 2-year increments though.

It does indeed vary wildly by state. Not only to the registration (tag) fees differ, but a number of states have personal property taxes or highway impact taxes that are charged at renewal time. Further, there may be additional county or city level vehicle taxes in some states.  The net annual cost of registering a motorhome can vary anywhere from a low of around $25 to well over $2500. That exclusive of any one-time taxes such as sales or excise tax charged at the time of purchase and typically paid with the first time registration.

Illinois registration fee for motorhomes is $107.50 (may have included a small fee for the bank at which we renewed).
No Personal Property tax in IL.

Trailer fees are based on weight.

Tom

Here in Wyoming.....pretty ridiculous!  The license fee is based on the original base sticker price. Then during  during the first 5 years, the fee decreases to a value, which will be maintained as long as you own the vehicle/trailer

On our 14 year old 5er - (approx) $470.00 plus a weight tax of $30.00
  On our 11 year old class c - (approx) $450.00 plus a weight tax of $30.00
  On our 11 year old pick-up - (approx) $240.00 plus a weight tax of $30.00

Then you add, utility trailers, boat trailers, UTV/4-wheelers,etc. - adds up to $1770.00 for all licensed equipment

Drives me a little closer to complete insanity, every year!

We live in the foothills east of San Diego, CA. When we bought our motorhome four years ago (used) we paid a little more than $25,000.00 in sales tax. Cyndi just paid the annual registration fee yesterday and it cost $1211.00. Not an RV friendly state.

Kev

Kevin, Unbelievable! I can?t even begin....to feel your pain. I guess this is one of the many reasons, for the exodus from California. Our condolences on the ?cost of living?!

Here is how motorhome tag fees are charged in Iowa.

Attachments

• Motorhome tag fees in Iowa.docx
    12.8 KB · Views: 26
I must register my new 2018 Dynamax DX3 in Nevada before June 1, 2018. I will pay approximately $19,000.00 in sales tax, and my first year registration will be enough to choke this old guy. I cannot get an estimate because the DMV still lists my VIN # as a truck and not a motorhome. I will have to drive the coach over to the inspection station to verify it is a motorhome.

We don't have an income tax, but the politicians in this state get it a dozen different ways.

This was one of the deciding factors when we chose to buy our TT instead of a MH.  We are still working so we are tied to Massachusetts.  The property tax on the type of MH we were looking at I believe would have been thousands of dollars a year plus annual inspections and registration.  When/if we get a MH we'll have to find a nontaxed state.  Taxachusetts has taken enough.

John Beard said:
I must register my new 2018 Dynamax DX3 in Nevada before June 1, 2018. I will pay approximately $19,000.00 in sales tax, and my first year registration will be enough to choke this old guy. I cannot get an estimate because the DMV still lists my VIN # as a truck and not a motorhome. I will have to drive the coach over to the inspection station to verify it is a motorhome.

We don't have an income tax, but the politicians in this state get it a dozen different ways.

We looked into Nevada before keeping our domicile state as SD. They too wanted to set my license fees at what the rig cost new, and it was 4 years old at the time.  That made the decision for us.

I moved legally from Michigan to Ohio six years ago.  My health and vehicle insurance dropped.  Also, I was paying $152 per year for my Chrysler Town and Country minivan in Michigan because they charge by weight.

I pay $59 per year for tags for my motorhome in Ohio, and best part is that they let you pay for up to five years at once!  It is a flat rate for any motorhome.  I paid only for two years, but that saves a lot of aggravation and trips to the license plate place!  Ohio is a bargain compared to a lot of other states.

JudyJB said:
I moved legally from Michigan to Ohio six years ago.  My health and vehicle insurance dropped.  Also, I was paying $152 per year for my Chrysler Town and Country minivan in Michigan because they charge by weight.

The fee structure in Michigan must have changed since then. Currently, I get to pay a fee based on the original MSRP. My fee this year was $2,129. PURE MICHIGAN. Now, if they'd fix the roads, I might not complain

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom