Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: 2003 Minnie Awning Rail Separation  (Read 1224 times)

John Canfield

  • Forum Staff
  • ---
  • *
  • Posts: 12583
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
Re: 2003 Minnie Awning Rail Separation
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2018, 07:42:14 AM »
 :))  :))
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

flydude92

  • ---
  • Posts: 21
Re: 2003 Minnie Awning Rail Separation
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2018, 05:49:48 PM »

Sorry it took so long to update my progress. The kids are in 4H at our local fair so I had to get the RV finished so I could bring it here thru the week.

        I repaired the wall delamination using the system from delamrepair.com. The product works as advertised when
installed per the instructions and advice from Andy.

        The biggest problem with my delamination is there is no way for excess resin to drain out. All the repairs I saw had
excess resin leak out the bottom. Andy advised me to drill a hole at the bottom of the repaired area to allow excess resin
to escape. I didnít feel that was necessary since I would keep an accurate detail of how much resin I applied. He also said
that the resin would go ANYWHERE thru cracks, small holes or any other openings that may lead into the RV.

        As suggested I made sure I was completely ready to begin, including a flat board to press up against the RV, all
mixing tools, chemicals and a few dry runs since once you mix the resin it will start hardening in about 30 minutes and
there is no way to stop it. NO PRESSURE.

        I needed to get the resin to the bottom of the damaged area and I decided to use ľĒ soft copper water line thatís
used for refrigerator ice makers. Unfortunately, the only way I could get it straight down behind the wall was to drill a
hole in the roof near where I just repaired it. Another small patch job.  :-[

        The videos I watched of people using this product showed it somewhat thick when poured. I found it to be thin,
flows easy and easy to push thru my tubing using their supplied syringes. I talked to Andy the night before regarding
working temperatures. I calculated how much resin I needed to apply to the wall. The next morning my wife and I
started the process when the RVís temperature was 65 and the air temperature was 70. I was surprised how quickly
the stress level increased after we mixed our first batch of resin.

        The process was going very well until I asked her how much we applied.
She said ďI thought you were keeping trackĒ. Oh crap. The simplest, easiest and most important little bit of information
we needed was never tracked. What a #%%#^$ idiot. (self-censored  ;D)
(I feel Iím now qualified to work with the idiot that originally repaired the roof. I feel like we are related.  ;))

        We didnít know for sure how much was applied. We would have to hope for the best, install the flat board
and see what it looks like after the overnight hardening period. 
Well as you may have guessed. We put too much in.

        The repair looks better than when it was delaminated because it is nice and flat and doesnít stick out as far. At the
top portion of the wall were we didnít have excess resin it is flush with the rest of the wall. Andy mentioned that
the resin will go anywhere it can. Well it went further down the wall into an area I didnít know needed repairing. (and it fixed it) It drained behind the wall onto the ground and went down along the top of a storage door preventing me from getting to the black & grey tanks. I had to take it apart to remove the resin.

I attached two pictures of the repair:
1.)     Worst case picture so no one here thinks Iím perfect  :)
2.)     Better picture since it makes me feel better

So the product works very well but it has to be done correctly and it helps to have some experience.

I put everything back together including new slide toppers and awning from Stone Vos and am currently spending
time at the fair with the family as the kids show their animals.

-- Brian --
Waterville, Ohio
2003 Winnebago Minnie WF329B

John Canfield

  • Forum Staff
  • ---
  • *
  • Posts: 12583
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
Re: 2003 Minnie Awning Rail Separation
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2018, 07:40:30 AM »
Very impressive Brian!  :)) :)) :)) You saved yourself at least $10k - Winnebago would have replaced the entire sidewall.

I'm going to put a link to this thread in our Winnebago and Chassis Resources thread.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

flydude92

  • ---
  • Posts: 21
Re: 2003 Minnie Awning Rail Separation
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2018, 02:59:27 PM »
Hopefully it will be of use to someone in the future.

It really wasn't a difficult job it just took time.

Even lifting the roof out of the awning rail and replacing the screws wasn't difficult.

-- Brian --
Waterville, Ohio
2003 Winnebago Minnie WF329B