rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Diesel power  (Read 2804 times)

irishtom29

• ---
Re: Diesel power
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 05:06:11 PM »
The turbocharged 3.5 liter gas engine in the F-150 Raptor makes 450hp at 5000 rpm and 510 torque at 3500 rpm. 210 cubes or so.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 05:41:00 PM by irishtom29 »

THORNEETA

• ---
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2018, 01:16:27 PM »
Hi everybody I'm new here and pretty new to the RV World so please forgive any erroneous info and stupid questions I ask that you Guide Me Gently.
Recently bought a 2003 Fleetwood Discovery and has a CAT diesel engine not sure which number it is. I was talking to a guy that told me that I needed to have a heui pump installed. But if the engine required a heui pump would it run without one? I've never owned a diesel anything so this motor is new to me in every way. Any information that anybody can give me to make it a strong running engine that it lasts long time would be awesome. Currently I have no problems with it supposed to have 330 horsepower runs great. But I was concerned about the heui pump but all do I need to know about it. And I hear conflicting ideas about how often to change oil in a diesel is 3000 Mi correct like a car or should it be more? I know it scared the hell out of me when I first looked at the oil I couldn't believe how dark it was I guess this is normal for diesel oil but boy was that a shocker!!! I had the oil changed anyways just for good measure. Sure I'll be posting a lot on here cuz I appreciate everybody's knowledge. Thanks in advance for your advice  in guiding me me in the right direction.

docj

• ---
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2018, 02:55:34 PM »
Hi there--

Most of us didn't know all that much about our diesels when we first go them, so feel free to ask questions. 

As for your questions, the easy one is that the normal oil change interval for a CAT diesel is ~15,000 miles or once a year.  It's best for the engine if you change the oil at the end of the season so it sits with clean oil in it over the winter.

As for the HEUI pump, you already have one; it is your engine's fuel injection pump.  Unfortunately, in the years that CAT used that device it also was rather trouble-prone, but I only know this from what I read since my CAT is older and doesn't have one.  If some told you that you need a new one it could be speculation that you will need a new one or he might know something about your particular engine.  My guess is that he's someone who was trying to show how much he knew "Oh, you have a CAT C-7, you're bound to need a new HEUI pump."

Joel (AKA docj)
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

Mezmorized

• ---
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2018, 07:36:03 PM »
I'm the odd duck I guess. My 96 Dutch Star 37' DP has a 8.2 ISB rated at 250hp. I pull a 24' Enclosed car trailer with it and had a 3000lb. car, full size tool box and other gear inside. I really don't feel the difference when the trailer is being towed or not. Now the MH has a Banks sticker on it but I can't figure out what has been done to it if anything.
1996 Newmar Dutch Star 3730 DP 8.3L Cummins ISC Allison 6-speed

docj

• ---
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2018, 08:07:58 PM »
I'm the odd duck I guess. My 96 Dutch Star 37' DP has a 8.2 ISB rated at 250hp.

With all due respect, I believe the ISB began as a 5.9L and is now a 6.7L engine.  The Cummins ISC engine is 8.3L.  The only 8.2L engine I could find was a Detroit Diesel. Is it possible that your description is in error?
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2018, 08:27:38 PM »
Per the 1996 Dutch Star brochure, that coach has a Cummins C-series engine (8.3L 6 cylinder) @ 250 hp, but sometimes specs change and the brochures do not.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:31:30 PM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Mezmorized

• ---
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2018, 11:29:43 AM »
Fair enough, I was looking at the engine info just now and it says

Application: Automotive
Engine Family: B seires
then the next line says C series

So I must have been mistaking the "Bus series" for an ISB. I'll have to change my sig :)
1996 Newmar Dutch Star 3730 DP 8.3L Cummins ISC Allison 6-speed

Tropical36

• ---
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2018, 12:43:30 PM »
You can't generalize by coach length - gotta talk weight.
This has to be true, but I've always heard 10HP/foot would usually take care of the weight, as well as the toad, in most cases.
Do like the 1HP/100lb formula and with that being the case, I'm well to the good.
Haven't had this one over the Rockies as yet, but have done some long 6% grades in Appalachia, with no complaints, whatsoever.
In fact, I've been overly impressed, with our first DP ever and there's no turning back now, with whatever my thoughts and opinions, might have been before.
Dan

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_1 1/2 Baths_Spartan MM Chassis_06 400HP C9 CAT___Allison 3000
Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model

KandT

• ---
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2018, 02:28:31 PM »
When the new rigs start coming as EVís, I bet it will drive the manufacturers nuts with all the squeaks the engine noise covers up!  People will expect them to be like rlectric cars and they simply wonít be.

I wonder how they will measure power?  KW motors seems reasonable and KW per mile seem to be how the EVís are starting to rate themselves.
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2018, 10:59:24 AM »
10 hp/foot isn't bad as a rule of thumb, but it kind of ignores the fact that a 35-40 ft coach can weight anywhere from 20,000 to 36,000 lbs and toads can be anywhere from 2800-8000+.  Weight and wind resistance are what the engine has to deal with, and neither of those are closely tied to length.

A horsepower is directly translatable to kilowatts: 1 Hp = 0.745 KW.  That part is easy, but as is often the case, doesn't tell the whole story.  Gas engines, diesel engines, and electric motors all have different power delivery characteristics.  The engineers recognize those via torque and horsepower (or KW) vs rpm graphs, but the sales people and most buyers just quote peak Hp or KW values. For the typical buyer, a bigger number is better and that's all they care about.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:07:39 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Tboy

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2018, 11:22:40 AM »
Hey everyone! I'm new to the RV Forum and need some real life experience with Deisel engine oil change and service intervals. I have a 07 Revolution LE 40E, with Spartan MM Chassis and a 400HP C9 CAT and Allison 3000 tranny. I bought the coach used in 2013 with 49,000 miles on it with all fluids replaced at that time. In the fall of 2015 I had the oil analyzed with about 12,000 miles on it and the oil was still within specs and good to go for a bit longer. Despite this, I had all of the hoses, belts and fluids changed on the engine, transmission and the Onan diesel generator in January of 2016. Not a cheap job to say the least, but I expect to keep this rig for a while.

I currently have just over 8,000 miles on the oil, so it's well within the 15,000 mile oil change interval, however, it's the same oil from the 2016 service. Do any of you anticipate a problem with not changing the oil over a 2-3 year period, even when the miles are well below the recommended oil change interval? I check the oil before every use and it's always at the full mark.

Also, what other components should I change or check on the engine to keep it running as expected?

I live in south louisiana and store the rig inside and enclosed storage unit, so there are no huge temperature swings during the year. By the way, we did get down to 12 degrees this past winter!

Thanks for whatever words of wisdom or advice you can offer.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2018, 11:54:18 AM »
The engine manufacturers recommend oil changes based on time as well as mileage simply because they have no way to know if the oil has become contaminated by moisture condensation, fuel or exhaust leaking past the piston rings, or whatever.   If you have the oil analyzed and can verify it's condition, there is no need to change it. Filters can still be dirty, but that interval can be stretched out too if you are confident enough.   For most owners, though, regular changes simply eliminates any worry. On a diesel, though, the cost of the oil and filters may be high enough to make the cost of n oil analysis worthwhile. Probably is if you pay a shop to do it, but a DIY oil & filter change is much less expensive.

On my '04 American Tradition, I always changed the engine oil & filter annually (DIY).  I would probably change the oil filter regardless and an oil analysis would be another $30, so the $100 DIY cost of the full change seemed reasonable.  For the Allison tranny, I came to the opposite conclusion. The tranny fluid change is quite expensive vs the analysis and in motorhome use the odds are the synthetic tranny fluid will last for 10 years or more, so testing made more sense than arbitrary changes.

The genset oil & filter change is trivial in cost and effort either if you DIY. 

Somebody will surely come along and ask why you are being an oil cheapskate when your $30,000 engine is at risk if you are wrong.  Whether you buy that or not depends on your attitude toward risk.  Do you ever jaywalk? Drink water from a hose? If not, maybe you should be changing your oil annually.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:58:52 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck