Water Pump.. shouldn't it turn OFF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_Rusty_

We haven't had snow for two weeks so I decided to de-winterize the first time (ever). While working with the H2O systems I noticed the water pump does not shut off  ???, it slows way down but there is still a rumble in there.  Would this be the pressure switch built into the pump maybe?, and a simple clean and backflush issue??

All help is greatly appreciated  :p

Pressure switch is part of the pump.  If it keeps running, check for leaks, water heater tank full, and bypass valves in the correct positions.  Also bemsure if you have one the outside shower is off.

The only reason to make sure the outside shower is off at the valves is that cold water will transfer over to the hot side cooling down the hot water giving you warm water throughout the hot water system.

The check valve in the water pump could be leaking by allowing cold water to leak into the water tank. Open the drain for the fresh water tank and see if it's empty.

Another place to look is the fresh water tank fill valve while hooked up to shore power if you have this option. If you do, the valve may be leaking a little internally allowing water to go into the fresh water tank or the valve may be partially open.

Look under the RV for any dripping of water. 

::) I didn't get back out there for an hour or so, and when I did the pump had shut off.  I suspect air in the line to the w/d as it has not  been drained and flushed yet.  The W/D inlet is pretty high compared to sinks, so I think there may be an air pocket.  No drips anywhere so I may be good.  ;D

On another note I discovered the electric heating element in the HW tank is not functioning so I will be draining that to replace this weekend.  :p

_Rusty_ said:
On another note I discovered the electric heating element in the HW tank is not functioning so I will be draining that to replace this weekend.  :p

Why just throw parts in it without trouble shooting. What brand and model number do you have? If it's a Suburban, did you check to make sure the outside switch is on. Start checking for power with a meter at the element.

Rene T said:
Why just throw parts in it without trouble shooting. What brand and model number do you have? If it's a Suburban, did you check to make sure the outside switch is on. Start checking for power with a meter at the element.

I started by reading the voltage at the element (110 vac) then the resistance (over 2 meg ohms).  Took one wire off (without power of course) then reading again was 18 k ohms.  New element read 16 ~ 18 ohms, and new Anode was also installed.  see below.  I also flushed the tank for several minutes in hopes of getting any crustations out of the tank.

Attachments

• 20180516_LI.jpg
    20180516_LI.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom