Scorpions!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HRDWRK

Hello:

In few days we are going to start our 5 weeks journey from Seattle to Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore and then we head south to NM, AZ and possibly TX. My wife is terrified about spiders and scorpions and she is reading all these scary stuff online about these hot southern areas. Is there anything that we have to be concern? Or the better question is : is there any preventive measures that I can take? Any repellant or anything? People are RVing on these states the same way they are RVing anywhere else then I think there is no major issues.We have never been that way before.

I spent ten years full timing in a class A and spent most of the time in the Southern California, Arizona deserts. I never saw one scorpion and only a handful of spiders. She has nothing to worry about.

We've got 'em all out here... Brown Recluses, Black Widows and scorpions, and when we tore down the house that used to be here to build our home, there were Black Widows everywhere. It took years to get rid of them, and reducing their food supply (other bugs) is what finally did it.

Believe me, they want to stay away from you more than you want to stay away from them. They like to hang out underneath things, and they stay away from well traveled areas. If you're picking something up that hasn't been moved in awhile, give it a little kick first. RV baggage compartments are pretty well sealed, and if you're regularly moving things in and out, I seriously doubt you'll find them there. If it's a compartment you rarely get into, take a second look before reaching in and grabbing something.

Kev

Thank you all. I'll let her read these replies :}
Happy travelling,

You can also buy a flashlight with one of those black lights that make scorpions very visible.  I thought it would be a good way to make sure my RV was clear of critters, but then never had the nerve to use it.  I have seen none of them and none have bitten me, so I am not going to worry about them.  I do not leave my shoes outside, however.

Been stung by a scorpion and thought I was about to die so we did a high speed emergency trip to the nearest state park (we were in an off season COE park with no host available). Ranger at the park laughed and said no problem. Treat it like a wasp or bee sting and you will be OK...no one that he knows of has croaked from a scorpion sting. He was right. Here it is 10 yrs later and I'm still alive.  ;D

BruceinFL said:
Been stung by a scorpion and thought I was about to die so we did a high speed emergency trip to the nearest state park (we were in an off season COE park with no host available). Ranger at the park laughed and said no problem. Treat it like a wasp or bee sting and you will be OK...no one that he knows of has croaked from a scorpion sting. He was right. Here it is 10 yrs later and I'm still alive.  ;D
I wouldn't get too comfortable.  You ARE going to die. :D

Now rattlesnakes are a different matter... Just kidding, there are snakes, scorpions, black widows, and tarantulas out in our desert for sure, not to mention the two legged insects, you know the ones those slimy ones that'll steal your chairs and small items and large items left unattended. But through it all, and being vigilant, not ocd, I have never ran across a snake in my life in the desert. I have seen the occasional scorpion, but that is such a rarity I get a kick out of watching them scurry away.

Everyone is right they are wary insects, and snakes. Make some noise when your hiking, watch where you put your hand when reaching in a seldom used location, and common sense will ensure a great time in the Great Western Half of this great country.

I have seen lots of spiders and snakes in the west. Especially where I used to live in Fallbrook. Snakes were a regular occurrence.  Never a rattler, but good snakes like King and Gopher snakes. I always gave them space and they just went about their way.  Black Widows usually got sprayed or squished.

When I was stationed at the China Lake Weapons Testing Station in the middle of the Mojave Desert, I found a rather large scorpion under an empty cable spool.  I saw its tail sticking out from under it a little so I grabbed it with a pair of large hemostats (used often in electronics repair).  I pulled and pulled and pulled some more.  Eventually, I pulled what measured to be an 8.5 inch long black scorpion.  I took it to the local desert historian and he said he had seen plenty of large scorpions, but when I opened the coffee can I had put it in (still alive), he jumped back and hollered, "Wow!". It may not have been a record, but it was plenty big for all of us.

I am camping in the Grand Canyon right now.  I, too, have a fear of spiders, scorpions and snakes.  I have not seen anything suspicious yet thank goodness!  Unfortunately I have not seen any bison, elk, cougars, bears or the like either.  A little disappointing for us.  We did see a squirrel and a rabbit.  Sigh.  Tell your wife not to worry.  Just have a great time!

Hi,

Funny that people should mention snakes. I have been surprised by two snakes this season here in northern Indiana. Saw one last year of a different variety. When I have been out west, usually scorpions are under rocks and they are pretty small. Still the sting can smart quite a bit. Snakes out west usually hibernate until late winter or early spring time. The old (but good) rule of don't put your hands or feet where you can't see, is as good today as it was in the past. As said they usually try to avoid people so just watch where you are going (I need to take my own advise).

We don't harm the snakes on our property as they eat rodents and pests. Last two encounters I have had, I about stepped on them but they try to get away from you as much as you them. I'm not bothered by them except when they surprise me or I them. Even though I was walking right up to them (inches) they still tried to get away and when I saw movement, I did the same. If it would have been a rattler it would have warned me sooner. So I need to keep a better eye out. Think they are under my barn. Safe travels!

One small note about scorpions. Don?t leave your shoes outside, especially at night. Some people take off their ?outdoor shoes? before they go in the RV, but scorpions have been known to hide in the shoes. Years and years and years ago when Tent camping with my grandfather in western Oklahoma, he always had us shake out our shoes before putting them on. I did shake a scorpion out once, a memory that has stayed with me for more than 50 years.

We lived North of Dallas on acreage with a large pond and a couple acres of swamp. My ex put her shoes on one morning (in the house) and was bitten by a scorpion;  about as bad a a bee sting. A bigger problem was water moccasins. They occasionally get into a house (I've removed two and know of several others) a hoe works well to remove/kill them. Copperheads will occur in the same areas but they are very non aggressive and I leave them alone. Generally you havecto step on a snake to get bitten; just pay attention to where you step.

Ernie

We have seen spiders, snakes and scorpions but only when out hiking in remote areas.  We only saw scorpions when we went looking for them at night with the blacklight torch.  You can see one here...  we saw several that night but they didn't attack us :)

Attachments

• scorpion.jpg
    scorpion.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 59
Peggyy said:
I am camping in the Grand Canyon right now.  I, too, have a fear of spiders, scorpions and snakes.  I have not seen anything suspicious yet thank goodness!  Unfortunately I have not seen any bison, elk, cougars, bears or the like either.  A little disappointing for us.  We did see a squirrel and a rabbit.  Sigh.  Tell your wife not to worry.  Just have a great time!

You are just not looking hard enough Peggy  ;D

My dad's only war story was having to check culverts for who knows what.  He was peering into one with a flashlight when he saw the biggest python ever made.  That was the end of his checking culverts.

Ernie n Tara said:
We lived North of Dallas on acreage with a large pond and a couple acres of swamp. My ex put her shoes on one morning (in the house) and was bitten by a scorpion;  about as bad a a bee sting. A bigger problem was water moccasins. They occasionally get into a house (I've removed two and know of several others) a hoe works well to remove/kill them. Copperheads will occur in the same areas but they are very non aggressive and I leave them alone. Generally you havecto step on a snake to get bitten; just pay attention to where you step.

Ernie

Cottomouths are very agressive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom