Scorpions!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We spent last summer traveling in all of those same areas. We saw no scorpions or spiders that were of any concern. It is estimated that except in Antarctica, a person is never more than 10 feet away from a spider no matter where we are on the planet. We don't concern ourselves anymore with spiders when traveling out west than we do at home. BTW, I really, really, really don't like spiders. Chuck

Peggyy said:
I am camping in the Grand Canyon right now.  I, too, have a fear of spiders, scorpions and snakes.  I have not seen anything suspicious yet thank goodness!  Unfortunately I have not seen any bison, elk, cougars, bears or the like either.  A little disappointing for us.  We did see a squirrel and a rabbit.  Sigh.  Tell your wife not to worry.  Just have a great time!
Have you hiked into the canyon yet? The best place to see big horn sheep is on the Bright Angel Trail. Just hike down about a quarter of a mile. When you pass through the short tunnel look up to the left and you will see some Indian petroglyphs on the wall above you. Look at this photo and you will see many of them. Check out my collection of Grand Canyon photos

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

The elk show up at the grass by the El Tovar at sunrise and sunset. Show up an hour before sunrise and they are usually there.

Attachments

• Sheep and petroglyphs.jpg
    Sheep and petroglyphs.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 33
SeilerBird said:
Have you hiked into the canyon yet? The best place to see big horn sheep is on the Bright Angel Trail. Just hike down about a quarter of a mile. When you pass through the short tunnel look up to the left and you will see some Indian petroglyphs on the wall above you. Look at this photo and you will see many of them. Check out my collection of Grand Canyon photos

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

The elk show up at the grass by the El Tovar at sunrise and sunset. Show up an hour before sunrise and they are usually there.  We did have a big deer come to our camper window our last morning there.

I am embarrased to say we did mot hike any trails.  I was having a lot of trouble breathing up there.  Especially at desert tower.  I think the wind caused my asthma to worsen.  We had a great time though.  We are in santa fe now visiting friends.  Your photos are awesome!

Scorpions and spiders along with grasshoppers are best saut?ed in a bit of butter, olive oil and garlic. Add some red pepper flakes for heat. Rattlesnakes are pretty tasty lightly battered and deep fried. Be sure to skin them first. Great meal when the saut?ed spiders, scorpions and fried snake are paired with dandelion greens and wild mushrooms.

Oldgator73 said:
Scorpions and spiders along with grasshoppers are best saut?ed in a bit of butter, olive oil and garlic. Add some red pepper flakes for heat. Rattlesnakes are pretty tasty lightly battered and deep fried. Be sure to skin them first. Great meal when the saut?ed spiders, scorpions and fried snake are paired with dandelion greens and wild mushrooms.
:D  :D  :D

Oldgator73 said:

I've heard gators taste good..... :eek:

Tempo. Spray the base boards and they will be dead by the time you wake up the next morning. Spray ten days later even though you think you won't have to b/c of all the straight tailed dead scorpions you will see from the initial application.

Hemingway's in Bass Pro Shop in Springfield, Mo. used to serve alligator tail. When we would go to eat there someone in the group would invariably say they wanted a piece of tail. I often wondered how many times the waitresses had heard that. ::)

With all the camping I've done in my life the only place I've seen scorpions was in F.D. Roosevelt State Park here in Georgia.

Was helping another camper pack up their tent in the morning and we found a half dozen under the ground tarp.

They scattered like cockroaches, scary, armed, cockroaches.

Everyone made sure to shake out everything before packing anything in their cars.

SeilerBird said:
I actually know people here in Florida who love the taste of gators.  ???
I took this photo at the Eldorado Ghost Town in Nevada..... the lady that owns the place showed me inside her freezer - says they try to rehome them but when they can't.......

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1526751087142.jpg
    FB_IMG_1526751087142.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 47
jackiemac said:
I took this photo at the Eldorado Ghost Town in Nevada..... the lady that owns the place showed me inside her freezer - says they try to rehome them but when they can't.......

Jackie,
I know you?re from Scotland and probably not real familiar with Gators (I capitalize Gator since I am one) but I hate to tell you the animals in the picture are rattle snakes. ;D

Oldgator73 said:
Jackie,
I know you?re from Scotland and probably not real familiar with Gators (I capitalize Gator since I am one) but I hate to tell you the animals in the picture are rattle snakes. ;D

OH  ha ha, I was getting over excited.... nearly......  they have scaley skin!

jackiemac said:
OH  ha ha, I was getting over excited.... nearly......  hey have scaley skin!

Rattlesnake is good to eat. Folks make rattlesnake chili and fry rattlesnakes much like chicken nuggets. But the way I like rattlesnake is to saut? in butter and garlic with a pinch of salt and pepper. Drain the meat on a plate with paper towel then incorporate into a PEANUTBUTTER sandwich.

Oldgator73 said:
Rattlesnake is good to eat. Folks make rattlesnake chili and fry rattlesnakes much like chicken nuggets. But the way I like rattlesnake is to saut? in butter and garlic with a pinch of salt and pepper. Drain the meat on a plate with paper towel then incorporate into a PEANUTBUTTER sandwich.

????

I have lived in the desert most of my life and have never seen a scorpion and i have only seen one rattlesnake and that was in snake infested land at a new golfcourse.

What you might see however is what we call a vinegaroon  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelyphonida and you will know why we call them that if you mess with them, an intense smell of vinegar. 

But dont kill them, they eat roaches...

If i remember correctly actual scorpions glow in the dark. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom