Yellowstone Park Route

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrohog1

Folks, I will be taking a trip in June to Yellowstone Park and the Tetons. I will be heading west on I-90. What route and Campground would you recommend that would put me on the West side of Yellowstone. I will be Traveling in a 42ft DP.

Thanks for your Help,

Herbie

Off of I-90 I'd probably go to Bozeman, then south to Yellowstone, with reservations at the Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone, MT. Of course there are other choices, but that would be mine.

You ?could? turn South at Laurel to Red Lodge and the North East entrance to YNP! However NOT recommended with your 42? MOHO. Beautiful drive in your toad, car or motorcycle. Goggle- Beartooth Highway, Beartooth Pass etc. The road gets up to almost 11,000ft, and rises from 5,200ft to 8,000ft in 12 miles. Tourists do it all the time in their RVs but WHY?

Or- Turn South at Livingston to the North entrance at Gardiner then South thru YNP to Madison junction then West to West Yellowstone, MT the West entrance. However they are working on the road between Gardiner and Norris, check the YNP website/ or call for up to date information!

Or- Go to Bozeman then South to West Yellowstone, MT the West entrance. Prolly the best way in your MOHO!

Remember when driving in the West across the Rocky Mountains there ARE going to be grades and mountain driving and high elevations!

Grizzly RV park all the way.  Just outside the west entrance to Yellowstone and walking distance to shopping in West Yellowstone.  Don't forget to spend some time at the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center.

Having lived in the Bozeman area and growing up in Livingston, I highly recommend going south from Bozeman.  The trip up the Gallatin river is beautiful but the canyon road while good is narrow and winding.  You have to pay attention as it is easy to cross the center line on the curves and people do it all the time.  For ease of driving in a MH, I prefer to go west from 4 corners on MT 84 , just west of Bozeman off US 91, to MT 287 and then south to West Yellowstone.  This route is a little longer but still a good way to go and is also quite scenic as you have great views of mountains, Quake Lake and also Hebgen Lake

A nice stop on this route is the little town of Ennis or the State Park at Quake Lake.

One thing else, MT roads tend to be narrow with NO SHOULDERS so be careful when driving.  Nothing to be afraid of but do know where the MH is on the highway.

Jim has it right. I had a son who lived in Bozeman for quite a while, and we took that trip frequently. The Ennis route is a much easier drive and not really any more time because the Gallatin River route (191) is much slower. The Gallatin canyon route is more scenic though. If you choose 191, make sure you use the well marked pullouts the highway department has provided. Montana law requires vehicles to use appropriate pullouts when more than 3 vehicles are stuck behind them. You won?t have the same problem on the Ennis route. Jim identified some good sightseeing locations, and I would add The Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman. It has a incredible set of dinosaur exhibits plus very good information on both Native American and white settlers.

If you're planning on visiting both the Tetons and Yellowstone, coming from the east around Mt. Rushmore, would it be better to go north to Yellowstone first and then drop south to the Tetons, or the reverse and come up from the south to the Tetons first? I'm planning out a similar trip for next year and want to see Glacier after Yellowstone, so I thought catching the Tetons first would be a better idea. Are the roads good enough for a 39'er and a toad?

Also, can you stay at one of the West Yellowstone RV parks and make day trips to the Tetons, or would it be best to find an RV park there also?

Does anyone know anything about a new RV park in West Yellowstone called Buffalo Crossing?

Some general information about YNP (some items apply to GTNP also)

YNP is about 45 miles E/W and about 65 miles N/S (2.2 mil. Acres total). The figure 8 loop road inside the park is about 140 miles around. The lower loop is 96 miles and the upper loop is 70 miles around and yes, it is bigger than the states of Rhode Island and Delaware combined.

Whatever time that you think you will need to see YNP you better double it, or to say it another way is that you will see one half as much as you planned on in the allotted time. The Bison think that they own the road (they do!) and will slow down the traffic to walking speed or all stop for 1/4 mile or more blocking both directions of travel, the thermal attractions also tie up traffic and with a 5 month long summer tourist season that coincides with a 5 month long road construction season and a 45 MPH radar controlled speed limit it will take about a full day to see each loop and then you will only see the main attractions. In addition to the occasional construction delays they will also sometimes close whole sections of road (for uninterrupted night construction) between 10 PM and 8 AM in the morning, if you are running late and get caught at night in the wrong area it CAN be a LONG way around to your CG! (The entrance stations will have current construction information or go on line to check it out)

Then there is the elevation- YNP ranges from a low at Mammoth- 6239 ft to 7784 ft at Fishing Bridge or higher if you go hiking and there are passes on the grand loop road that are close to 8000 ft or so! Drink plenty of liquids and pace yourself when walking.

I recommend that you get up EARLY, leave the CG and be back by 4 or 6 PM have dinner and be sitting in your recliner drinking a cool one when your neighbor drags himself back to the CG at 8-10 PM. Remember that from mid May to mid July in YNP the sun doesn't set until about 9:30- 9:45 PM then there is a long twilight.

Cell Phone Service- Only at the major visitor centers, otherwise spotty to non-existent!

Clothing- Especially in the early or late season it is not unusual to have a 30 or even the occasional 40 degree temperature change throughout the day. Dress with easily shed layers of clothing. Also dress in bright easily seen clothing. I am sure that we all have been to a sporting event, parade or Disney World etc. and we blink our eyes and our partner/child has disappeared. My DIL was born and raised in HI, you guessed it, every Xmas, b-day or Father's Day I receive a Hawaiian shirt. One of them is  shiny black with 4-5 inch dia. bright flowers. Not many of them in Wyoming and in YSNP, that is what I wear. If your partner has on a Violet blouse and a Orange scarf with a Pink hat I guarantee that she will be the only one within the boundaries of either NP. It can save you a few anxious moments.

Water- Now I will have to contradict myself, at the altitude of YNP yes, drink lots of water!    HOWEVER, be aware that the flush toilet restrooms are are in the major tourist areas- Mammoth, Canyon, Fishing Bridge, Lake Hotel, Bridge Bay, Grant Village, Old Faithful, Madison Junction etc. The geyser basins and other thermal attractions areas only have pit toilets. I have seen the pit toilet line (2 rest rooms) at the lower Geyser Basin 25 or more feet long (bless the tour buses) So be smart about drinking your water and use the major tourist area R/Rs before leaving the area! I.e. ?Never pass up a flush toilet!?

Sun- At YSNP altitude the Sun is intense (uv)have and apply sunscreen, wear that old floppy wide brim sun hat, wear Sunglasses!

If your luck is like mine Old Faithful will have just erupted when you get there and you will have up to a hour and 10 to 15 minutes wait for the next one. Tour tour the O/F Geyser basin while waiting. O/F INN is a must see, reportedly the largest LOG building in the U.S. (Meals in the O/F dinning room are ?OK? also.

We have lived about 110 miles from West Yellowstone, MT since 1964, go to YSNP 3-4 times a summer (normally before Memorial Day and after Labor Day) and haven't seen it all yet! So don?t be discouraged that you didn?t have the time to see all of it. Just plan on coming back another time!

I honestly don?t mean to scare or discourage you but to give you a heads up as to what to expect! After all there was 4.1 million visitors in 2015!  As far as I know we didn?t lose one of them. Except those who by their own stupidity step off the board walks into BOILING HOT water and ignoring the warnings about the WILD ANIMALS!  That is called purifying the gene pool!Early in the summer of 2017 a foreign visitor stepped off a boardwalk into just a few inches of hot water. He walked about 100 yards (according to the newspaper) broke thru the crust and parboiled himself. The park service decided not to try to retrieve the body! Between the temperature of the water and the acidity of it the body would just fall apart when retrieving it, as well as being dangerous to the rangers. Of course a few Bison fall in every winter also.

Note I have seen on this blog and others about folks ?day tripping? from YSNP to GTNP, it is done all the time (myself included) however remember this is BIG country and with the speed limits, animals and thermal attractions you will NOT come close to a 60- 65 MPH average. From the West Thumb Area, Grant Village Visitor Center (extreme S/E corner of the lower loop road) to Jackson, WY is about 80 miles with Coulter Bay being about 1/2 way then from Grant Village you have to add the distance to your CG it will be a Long days trip!

A point of Coulter Bay (in GTNP) clarification- there are two (2) CG?s at Coulter Bay, One, the ?Coulter Bay RV Park? a full service ?RV Park? with FHU?S that takes reservations. The other is the ?Coulter Bay Campground ? has no hookups and doesn?t take reservations. Both have about 300 sites and are located basically across the road from each other.

Also in GTNP be sure to see Jenny Lake, the water is swimming pool clear! You almost feel like you are in space when you are on the boat dock and you can see the rental boat shadows on the bottom of the lake!

When in the Jackson area I highly recommend seeing the Bar J Chuckwagon dinner show! If you go, MAKE RESERVATIONS and BE THERE EARLY TO PICK UP YOUR MEAL TICKETS/ TABLE SEATING ASSIGNMENTS! They seat you by when you show up to get your tickets NOT by your reservation number. Tim, their fiddle player has won the "Idaho state old time fiddle contest 7 times and the US open fiddle championship twice".  If you decide to go you will sit at picnic type of bench seats/table, they get pretty hard, I recommend that you take along a blanket/pads to sit on. We day trip it there 2-4 times every summer just to see them! Disclaimer- We have no financial or other interest in the Bar J only that it will be the best $$ value for your money for your trip! Check out their website. 

http://www.barjchuckwagon.com

Also in Jackson check out the ?COWBOY? bar, the bar stools are saddles and check out the # of Silver Dollars imbedded in the bar. The Wort Hotel Bar (just around the corner from the Cowboy Bar) also has Silver Dollars imbedded in the Bar

John

See my comments about ?day tripping from YNP to GTNP?  in my post #7 above

coxid said:
John

See my comments about ?day tripping from YNP to GTNP?  in my post #7 above

Thank you for taking the time to provide this information. Very helpful. I'm saving the email notification of this post for future reference.

Also, can you stay at one of the West Yellowstone RV parks and make day trips to the Tetons, or would it be best to find an RV park there also?

It's possible, but you'll be very limited in how much you'll see in the Tetons because of the time and distance involved. I'd suggest a campground more in that area. coxid mentioned Colter Bay, but in Teton you can check out Gros Ventre campground, which is not an RV park, just a campground.

I really like Gros Ventre campground, and we have stayed there a number of times. It is a NPS campground so the sites are large. There are many that can handle big rigs, but the few electric sites are hard to come by. They have generous generator hours in half the campground, but generators are prohibited in the other half. The campground does fill during prime season, but if you get there by 1 or 2, you should be able to find a site. It is a first come/first serve, but the campground hosts assign the sites based on unit size. Note that moose and elk have a tendency to wander through the campground on a regular basis.

John Stephens said:
If you're planning on visiting both the Tetons and Yellowstone, coming from the east around Mt. Rushmore, would it be better to go north to Yellowstone first and then drop south to the Tetons, or the reverse and come up from the south to the Tetons first? I'm planning out a similar trip for next year and want to see Glacier after Yellowstone, so I thought catching the Tetons first would be a better idea. Are the roads good enough for a 39'er and a toad?

Does anyone know anything about a new RV park in West Yellowstone called Buffalo Crossing?

John

If you have time check out the Big Horns on the way, then go to Tetons via Cody (Gros Ventre is a great campground but only electric if you are lucky, but there is a dump station), then West Yellowstone, we stayed at Grizzly RV and liked it, note that Buffalo Crossing is pretty close and is right next to the Imax Cinema and not far from Grizzly, we have not stayed at Buffalo.  Depends what you want from your campsite, check out reviews online as everyone has a differing opinion, you know how it goes.....

Here is some more info you may find useful:

We love the Tetons and Yellowstone and have visited several times and spent about a month there last year. There is plenty to do, not just in the parks but also in the surrounding areas. 

I can recommend the Rough Guide to Yellowstone & Grand Teton, you can get a decent second hand one on Amazon. there is a 2007 and a 2011 version:

https://www.amazon.com/Rough-Guide-Yellowstone-Grand-Guides/dp/1848367716/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520268064&sr=8-2&keywords=rough+guides+yellowstone

I suggest you also check out the Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park websites.  These give you lots of information particularly on trails and campgrounds, note that most campgrounds take bookings and for those that don't you probably need to get there at a reasonable time in the morning to get a spot.  August is a busy month and people usually advise booking.  That said we managed to get 4 nights in Fishing Bridge a few days before our planned arrival.  There are often cancellations if you are happy to take the chance, but there may not be and weekends will probably be more difficult. Note that boondocking will be more difficult around Yellowstone as the park is so large.

Grand Teton National Park

We stayed in Gros Ventre which was $53 per night in 2017 if you can get an electrical hook up.  You can't reserve at this park so I suggest getting there at a reasonable time. If you don't get an electric site first time you can check with office daily and they will move you if one comes up.  You can see the moose here in the morning and we spotted a great horned owl sitting in a tree.  They have firepits so you can have a nice fire at night.  This is close to Jackson if you wanted to go into the town. 

We frequent the coffee shop in the small village of Kelly who have great sandwiches and coffee and you can get a hug of firewood for around $20, it burns for ages.  You can sit with your coffee enjoying great views of the mountains.

You can visit the film set of Shane close by here and then drive on to the Mormon Row where you will find the "most photographed shed".  The bison usually hang our around here as well as pronghorn. 

https://www.bestofthetetons.com/2013/12/10/the-shane-cabins-authentic-homestead-in-grand-teton-national-park

Moose is a village on the way to Jenny Lake.  Lovely views here and a couple of shops, one a wine shop with expensive wine!  We booked our Barker Ewing Float Trip (which we really enjoyed) in the gift shop there.  There is also a fishing shop, bike rentals, restaurants and a grocery which is not cheap but does have some nice steaks and cheese etc.  We did the sunset float and saw beavers, moose, eagles etc.  This section of the river is popular for fishing during the day.

At Jenny Lake you can take the ferry out to the Hidden Falls/Inspiration Point/Cascade Canyon trails.  Pop into the visitor centre first for information and a route map.  I think it is roughly 3 miles or so to Cascade Canyon.  There are 2 routes one left one right.  The one on the left is steeper but shorter and open and takes you up to Inspiration point.  The one on the right was through trees.  I would recommend left on way up and left on way back to wind down through the trees.  Nice waterfalls and the walk up Cascade Canyon was lovely and is where we saw a black bear.  You need to go back to the starting point for the ferry or from there you can take the loop trail back to the visitor centre.

Blacktail Ponds Overlook is a good place to spot wildlife - park up and walk over to the fencing.  Stand there and look out for moose.  There was a mother and calf right below us that we managed to spot once but they were difficult to see munching in the tall willows.  Also look across into the trees and you will probably see more moose coming out to the water.  You may need to hang around for half an hour or so to spot them.  We also saw deer here and birds.  Lots of fishermen were going down to the river to fish from here.

Further up the main road is Schwabacher's Landing. We drove down and parked and then walked along for a mile or so.  Big beaver dam and lodge there and although we didn't see any, I believe there are beavers here.  Not sure if the RV would go down there so check on google maps but it is not a long walk.

Moran and the Jackson Lake Lodge are nice places to stop.  Food at the Pioneer Grill just OK but the outlook is nice from the big windows at the lodge, there is also a nice bar, a small Starbucks and large gift shop shop.

Oxbow Bend is spectacular and my favourite wildlife spot - we went out on our canoe in the evenings a lot to watch the wildlife and birds.  We did the same at Two Ocean Lake and saw a huge bull moose lying in the lake.

Colter Bay Village has 2 different campgrounds one with hookups, one without.  This is Seilerbird's favourite campground as it is very central.  There is a great walk from here out to Hermitage Point which is beautiful and a fairly easy 9 -10 miles.  There are a couple of small lakes on the way.  You need to be bear aware around here.

There is a cable car up the mountain that you can go on from Teton Village, which we haven't been on and I think there is a restaurant up there.  The Laurence S Rockefeller centre is worth a visit and you can hike up to some lakes.  Note that the parking is busy here and you may have to wait if you are not early.

A few trails leave from the Lupine Meadows area and several of these are long ones and this parking area gets very busy too.

Going towards town is the Elk Refuge which you can walk or drive through, and do catch and release fishing I think.  There are boondocking spots here too and a campground called Curtis Canyon.

There are lots of cycle paths in the park if that suits you and lots of places to canoe and fish (make sure you get licences).

Jackson itself is a nice town and I would definitely recommend moseying around it.  Parking is limited for RVs though so check that before you go.  You could park in one of the supermarket car parks probably.  Town Centre is the area most people go to to see the antlers that are displayed there. 

Great photo gallery there called Mangelsen Images of Nature, his photos are stunning. 

The Snake River Brewery is good for beer and food and we have eaten at Thai Me Up, which was alright and Bin 22 which had nice tapas, but wasn't overly cheap.  Depends what you are looking for.  Lots of people recommend the Cowboy Bar which we still have not made it to and Bar J Chuckwagon dinner which is supposedly really good. 

A friend of our stayed at the Virginian Campground which is in town and said it was good.

We spotted a couple of nice campgrounds about 60 miles outside Jackson - Brooks Creek and Brooks Lake between Moran Junction and Dubois.  This area looks worthy of exploration, really wild and beautiful.

Further along that same route are the Wind River Mountains ? we had not heard of this large wilderness area which only has a few roads.  There are lots of glaciers up in there and mostly accessible by hiking for a few days.  The Union Pass goes over these mountains.  This area looks awesome and we plan to spend time there this year.

Yellowstone

West Entrance Yellowstone

We stayed in a very nice commercial campground at West Yellowstone -  Grizzly RV Park.  Think it was around $45 a night in 2016.  It was large but clean and well kept and you can walk into town easily. There is a cinema there and plenty of bars, restaurants and shops.

https://grizzlyrv.com/

The Buffalo Bar had good beer and average food. Wild West Pizzeria was a bit noisier but lively and good pizza, they had a bar and a restaurant for families.  Madison Crossing was a more upmarket restaurant, busy, and a bit pricier however lovely food and cocktails!

West Yellowstone is probably the best area to access the following places (but check out the book for other things too):

Norris Basin - the car parks were full almost every time we passed here so you would need to be up early to get a spot.  Like all of the geyser areas it is a boardwalk.  I think you would spend at least 2-4 hours here. You could also come here if staying in Gardiner, although drive it would be a bit further I think.

From Norris you could then go along to Canyon and then along the Hayden Valley.  That is where we saw the wolves early in the morning last year.  We were up and away at around 5:30 to get them at dawn which is the best time to see them.

Lower Geyer Basin has 2 sections one on the right hand side which is first if going towards Old Faithful and then one on the left which is a loop.  Both worth visiting. I would say 1-2 hours.

Midway Geyser Basin where Grand Prismatic Spring is, has a walk round the geysers there.  Another 1-2 hours.  There is now a trail up to a viewpoint of Grand Prismatic Spring, the trail head to Fairy Falls, note there is no loo there.

Old Faithful site is the Upper Geyser Basin.  There is the old hotel, which you have to go into just to see it.  The new visitor centre is there too so you can see when geysers are predicted to go off that day and to get a map of the trail.  Lots of geysers here and I would say another 2-4 hours to go round that depending on how long you wait for eruptions and how fast you walk.

Close to West Yellowstone there were several elk and often traffic jams because of this.  Lots of eagles were sitting in the trees along that road also.

North Entrance

We stayed in a commercial park called Yellowstone RV Park in Gardiner, it is the sister park of Grizzly RV at West Yellowstone, it is much smaller though with less amenities.  If you can get a back in site next to the river which is below you, you can watch the rafts going by and look for birds, elk, bighorn sheep and pronghorn. 

https://www.rvparkyellowstone.com

There is also a NP campground in Gardiner - Mammoth Hot Springs - and if you are early you might be lucky and get in there.  Not sure of facilities re electricity etc., but I know it is frequented by Elk at night and has lots of different sized spaces.  A popular hot springs swimming spot is not far from the campground.  Be aware that there are snakes around this area too.

We bought groceries at the local supermarket and ate in mostly, although we ate out twice - had a pretty average meal in the Iron Horse Bar and Grill and a much nicer meal at the Lighthouse out of town on the 89. This restaurant is nice and although it takes tour buses they are served a buffet so doesn't appear to affect waiting time.  No alcohol served here though.

From Gardiner you can visit:

Mammoth Hot Springs - boardwalk, 2-4 hours.  The Allbright visitor centre is in the middle of town with a museum and some interesting bits and bobs inside.  We did eat in the hotel in 2016 but it wasn't great and was expensive for what it was.  It was being renovated when we were there in 2017.

Tower-Roosevelt is a nice drive, keep an eye out for birds and if you can, stop off and look for the osprey nest on the left hand side of the road going out to Tower.  We have also seen some bears here up on the right hand side in the woods.  There is a big cafe at then end but we haven't been in it.  You can also get a good look at the volcanic rocks and the river along here and there is a short hike to a view of one of the waterfalls.

Drive on from there to the Lamar Valley.  Used to be a big wolf pack there, but not last year, but things change.  There had been a bison kill and bears were feeding there but we didn't see them.  We saw a moose and calf further along at Trout Lake in 2009.  This road has a bridge at one end where you often get a bison jam.  That bridge was a view point for beavers (2016 & 2017) so stop off if you can get parked safely and have a look for them.  They were active during the day.

South end we stayed at Fishing Bridge RV Park, a NP campground.  It is busy as it is the only full hook up in the park, the spaces were tight but we managed fine.  From here as well as some of the above areas you can do:

West Thumb Geyser Basin which is a bit smaller and is right on the Yellowstone Lake - that would probably be 1-2 hours max.  When we were there a storm came up and we had hailstones - in June!  We also got snow that year.

Near Canyon Village are the Upper and Lower Falls of the Yellowstone.  There are a couple of trails to great viewpoints and these are well worth the effort. 

You can also drive up to Mt Washburn and hike up there, not sure how far you can go in the RV though.

There is also the John D Rockefeller Memorial Parkway between Yellowstone and the Tetons which is supposed to be nice.

There are several hikes you can do in the park, but if going you should really buy Bear Spray to take with you especially if just the 2 of you.  You can also rent spray.

To see the bears you just need to keep an eye out of the window, often you will see them at the side of the road or in the trees or roaming across are wide open fields.  Ask the locals for info as there will often be a spot you can find them feeding for example.

The Beartooth Highway, if open has spectacular views from the top and it is manageable in the RV if you are confident. Cold at the top and it was a bit windy, but well worth it and you can sometimes find pikas squeaking in amongst the rocks.  There is a small shop on the way to the top called the Top of the World - this is usually where the road closes if snowy. Toilets not great but you can grab a coffee and look around the small shop.  That takes you out to the Northeast entrance and Cody.  It is a great drive to Cody from here.

We stayed in Buffalo Bill State Park at Cody but this is out of the town and one section was a bit busy with mosquitos!  We were told the Absaroka was nice and it is in the centre of town should you decide to stay here.

Make sure you thoroughly check your driving routes as there are a lot of big mountains out there and keep an eye on the weather, don't expect it to always be warm.  We needed a warm blanket a couple of nights in August as it can be cold and it can snow so have warm clothes with you.

There are lots of great things to do in all of these places.  I hope I am not spoiling it by telling you all the things we have done.  Sometimes it is nice to find things for yourselves.

I think you are best to decide what you really want to see/do and plan your trip around that.

Have fun planning your route!

Jackie - Thanks so much for the detailed information about the two parks. This is exactly what I need to determine what to do and how to spend our time in the parks. We are planning on spending at least two weeks in the two parks, more in Yellowstone than GT, and know that probably won't be long enough. We'll be basing our entire trip around the stay there because it seems getting campground sites will require reservations far in advance. Personally, I like to travel at my own pace and not have a set itinerary when on a trip this long, but I guess if we want a secure campsite, we'll have to at least know when and how long we'll be in these parks.

In my research yesterday, I found the Virginian in Jackson to be ridiculously expensive at $110 per night and possibly unable to accommodate a coach with toad since they state their pull through sites are only 40 feet long. That's not in my price range. I'm thinking either Gros Ventre or Colter Bay Village if we can make a reservation or get there early enough.

Your idea of catching the Big Horns is a good one. I checked it out yesterday and it looks like something we're going to want to see. However, now that we know we'll have to be in Yellowstone at a particular time to reserve a campsite, we're thinking of making GT and Yellowstone our first or second destination and drive through Colorado to see Rocky Mountain Natl Park and then head north to Wyoming and catch South Dakota and all of its sites on the way back from Canada. If we do that, Big Horn may be out of the way.

I'm going to do as much research into the things you mentioned to see and do as I can over the next couple of weeks. One question I have is how many of the sites you mentioned seeing in Yellowstone allow dogs on leashes. Can you take dogs on the boardwalks around the geysers? Or would it be best to leave them in the coach? We have two Collies and want to take them with us as much as possible but know there will be limits. We simply don't want to leave them in the coach every day, all day while we're exploring. How dog friendly are the restaurants and shops you mentioned?

Thanks again for your assistance in planning our trip. This is invaluable.

John Stephens said:
Jackie - Thanks so much for the detailed information about the two parks. This is exactly what I need to determine what to do and how to spend our time in the parks. We are planning on spending at least two weeks in the two parks, more in Yellowstone than GT, and know that probably won't be long enough. We'll be basing our entire trip around the stay there because it seems getting campground sites will require reservations far in advance. Personally, I like to travel at my own pace and not have a set itinerary when on a trip this long, but I guess if we want a secure campsite, we'll have to at least know when and how long we'll be in these parks.

In my research yesterday, I found the Virginian in Jackson to be ridiculously expensive at $110 per night and possibly unable to accommodate a coach with toad since they state their pull through sites are only 40 feet long. That's not in my price range. I'm thinking either Gros Ventre or Colter Bay Village if we can make a reservation or get there early enough.

You can't reserve Gros Ventre which is one of the good things.  Turn up early and you will hopefully get a spot, it is a beautiful place, not a central as Colter Bay though but we like it as it is close to the town and the park.  Check out Kelly coffee spot if you go there, they do great sandwiches and coffee and a fantastic view!

John Stephens said:
Your idea of catching the Big Horns is a good one. I checked it out yesterday and it looks like something we're going to want to see. However, now that we know we'll have to be in Yellowstone at a particular time to reserve a campsite, we're thinking of making GT and Yellowstone our first or second destination and drive through Colorado to see Rocky Mountain Natl Park and then head north to Wyoming and catch South Dakota and all of its sites on the way back from Canada. If we do that, Big Horn may be out of the way.

Yes you have a lot to see, if you do make it we stayed at Tie Hack campground which was really nice.  Try to get to the Devil's Tower if you head out to SD and if you see any ground squirrels look out for burrowing owls as they make their homes in old burrows.

John Stephens said:
I'm going to do as much research into the things you mentioned to see and do as I can over the next couple of weeks. One question I have is how many of the sites you mentioned seeing in Yellowstone allow dogs on leashes. Can you take dogs on the boardwalks around the geysers? Or would it be best to leave them in the coach? We have two Collies and want to take them with us as much as possible but know there will be limits. We simply don't want to leave them in the coach every day, all day while we're exploring. How dog friendly are the restaurants and shops you mentioned?

I don't believe dogs are allowed in the NP for walking.  As we don't have any we don't pay much attention.  I haven't seen any dogs on any of the walks we have been to.

John Stephens said:
Thanks again for your assistance in planning our trip. This is invaluable.

You are most welcome.  Let me know if you need any more advice or suggestions.

You can't reserve Gros Ventre which is one of the good things.

You also cannot reserve at the Colter Bay campground (reservations ARE needed at the Colter Bay RV Park).

not a central as Colter Bay though but we like it as it is close to the town and the park.

It's great for seeing the Tetons, but Colter Bay is much better for seeing Yellowstone.

Larry N. said:
You also cannot reserve at the Colter Bay campground (reservations ARE needed at the Colter Bay RV Park).
I wasn't aware of that Larry thanks for pointing that out. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom