2018 Catalina Coachman 261BHS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PCB2054

WE are considering buying a Catalina Coachman 261BHS and were hoping for some input on this model and also the manufacturer as a whole.  Please any input would be great.  I have heard good things about Coachman and bad things.  Just wanting some first hand information.  Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You will hear good and bad about every manufacturer.
What you have to understand is that with pretty much every manufacturer, new RVs will have a number of issues straight from the dealership.
That is why we followed the common advice here and when on a few weekend trips to discover the brokenness.  Most that we found were fit and finish.  One must fix was a leaky water pump.
We camped the weekend, made a list and took the camper back to the dealership.
Picked it up a week and a half later and did it again.

I do have a Coachmen.  I like it.  I did have a dozen things fixed when it was new.

Speaking of common advice, has anyone suggested buying a gently used RV as your first purchase?  This lets you avoid most or all of the new unit problems.  It lets you avoid the MASSIVE depreciation that all new campers have as soon as you drive them off the lot.
But it also lets you learn what it is about this camper that you like and what you wish it had.  You get to learn more about how YOU want to camp.
Then you take that information and use it when you sell this one and buy another that better meets your needs.

WE currently have a 2010 Heartland Edge Ultralite M22 that we like but there are definite downsides to the "Ultralite" brand.  The floor is soft, frame is pencil thin, and we found someone braced the floor with lumber between the frame.  We really enjoy camping and want to do more of it so we want to but a little bigger/nicer camper.  I understand their is some depreciation but we plan on keeping this rig for 7-10 years and using it often.  That is why I THOUGHT buying used was best but now I am a little worried if buying used wouldn't be better. 

They have a 2017 on the lot that is the same model "lightly used", it is listed at only 4k cheaper.  I would have thought it was cheaper that that.

Welcome to the forum!

Go to the dealer and offer $10K less than they want for it.  See what they say!  They may not say yes, but the price will drop quite a bit!

We had a Catalina a few years ago. Bought new. The screen at the dinette didn't fit correctly and the dealer got us a new one with no hassles. After a few months, the cold water line going to the kitchen faucet started dripping. Hand tightened the fitting, fixed the problem. Checked all the rest throughout the trailer and didn't find any more issues. Had that trailer for about a year before getting a larger trailer. I can't remember having any other problems with it. The factory mattress was uncomfortable though.

We bought a Catalina Coachman 261BHS. Pick it up Thursday. Got great trade-in value and I feel a good deal.  I hope no one posts about how bad they are now. ???

I feel it was the most solid coach we were in.

All manufacturers make a few lemons and all make a few diamonds.  If you are happy and it feels solid, it may be the diamond!  ENJOY!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krefvem
Back
Top Bottom