Chevrolet with auto xmission max towing speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judway

I have had several Chevrolet towed vehicles over the 18 years that I have been traveling. Maximum towing speed has been specified to be 65 MPH on all. I have read somewhere that exceeding this speed means that you need to change the fluid more often and there would not be a catastrophic failure. As a rule, I have tried to stay below the 65 mph, but sometimes I exceed the speed to safely pass a vehicle traveling at 60 mph or I am going down a long steep hill. Has anyone seen this in print?

Have not seen in print or otherwise.
Being retired systems engineer far be it from me to second guess best practices from another engineer ::) , I keep it at 65 or lower. I have exceeded at times for passing or long downhills where my speed neeks up on me.

Occasionally exceed whatever the recommended limit may be should not be a problem. It doesn't fall apart notably faster at 66 than at 64!

Towing an auto transmission generates heat and heat deteriorates the ATF, but the amount of heat varies with speed, time (hours under tow), outside and road temperature, vehicle weight, etc. If you consistently tow at the upper limits, consider changing the tranny fluid at the interval the manufacturer gives for "severe duty". At the very least, check the ATF dip stick occasionally for both proper level and clarity. The ATF should never be cloudy or dark or smelly (like burned toast).

Back
Top Bottom