Applying Zep ? A question or two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dk47

I have been reading up and have decided to try the zep wet look floor finish on my 17 year old keystone cougar fifth wheel. The graphics have been sanded and painted over and are looking really good. My question is on the prep, I plan on scrubbing the whole thing with bar keepers friend on a 3m pad. I have read over and over to next wash with tsp but I?m afraid of the reaction between my newly painted graphics and the tsp. Any thoughts or experiences with this will really be appreciated.  Thanks

I use TSP on my Bounder before Zep. Just rinsing the TSP off with a hose won't remove all of it. Finish up with a clean cloth and hose to remove all residue of TSP.
I use a lint free cloth to apply Zip. Make sure and wring it out until you are sure it won't drip. 4 or 5 very light coats. It really makes the black metal window frames look like new too.
Your finger nails will shine like diamonds if you don't wear gloves. Maybe a touch of pigment in the Zep will do wonders for your toe nails. GRIN

TSP is excellent for removing the polishing residue, but it is also an effective deglosser and in sufficient strength will indeed dull paint. A mild solution ought to be OK, but I don't know for sure what concentration to recommend. Savogram's TSP Subsititute product suggests 8 oz/gallon of water for general cleaning and 16 oz/gal for "heavy duty". And yes, you need to do more than just rinse it off - wiping is required.

I would think that most heavy duty degreaser/cleaners would work as well, the sort used for exterior washing of house siding, driveways, etc.  The Bartenders Friend should do all the deglossing and wax removal you need, so you only need to get rid of the powdery residue that it leaves behind.

Back
Top Bottom