Thinking new Jeep. 2018 or 2019? Opinions please. Just purchased!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
So after 10 years of having the 2008 Rubicon I am thinking of selling it and getting a new one. I will probably stay with a JKU, but maybe a Sahara this time around.  The hesitation between the current 18' and new 19' model is that Jeep may be going to electric steering instead of hydraulic like it has now. 

The electric system in the Cherokees has had problems with low speed death wobble when towed 4 down. Not sure I want to roll those dice.  I know the new generation Jeeps will be JL series, but do I want to be a beta tester for a new gen Jeep.  Thoughts? 

That problem with the electric steering could sure turn into a major headache.  Do you know if it is all units, or just some?  If not all, it would seem that they could resolve the issue.  Hmmmmm.

Marty - When I was researching my last vehicle purchase three years ago I read several polls online about customer satisfaction with car manufacturers. Jeep always was at the bottom of every list I read. Then I realized that Jeeps are the most mistreated vehicles ever made so that might have something to do with it. The car I ended up buying was a Hyundai Veloster and it has electric steering. The electric steering is the one of the things I like the best about this car. I much prefer it over hydraulic steering.

Personally I wouldn't purchase a first model year of anything. So, if I was in the market for a Wrangler, I would get the 2019, or I'd wait for the Jeep pick up, four doors and a short bed.

Marty,

Ours is a 2012 but it has the new transmission and the V6 engine. No problems in 30, 000 miles and I really like the drive train and lockers (we have a Rubicon with winch bumper and four inch lift). I dont know about the newer Jeeps but I doubt much except cosmetics changed. Do pay attention to the equipped list. For example I don't think the Sahara has lockers and the axles differ as well.

Ernie

Our 2015 Sahara Unlimited certainly doesn't have the lockers and, as Ernie indicates, they are different axles from the Rubicon, no sway bar disconnect and the suspension is different, too. But our Sahara rides and handles so much better (and so much quieter) than the 2003 I used to have, and it's great if you don't need the extra capability of the Rubicon.

I'm with John about purchasing the first year of something new -- wait 'til it's been proven.

I should note that none of the enhanced capabilities, other than the more aggressive tires, of the Rubicon have any noticeable impact on driving characteristics on the road. The heavier tires do start getting noisy after about 15-20, 000 miles but not terribly so. TANSTAAFL!

Ernie

Thanks for the opinions. I wanted to put it out there to hear your different points of view. The main reason we are considering the Sahara is that when I review our off roading experience over the last 10 years of ownership, we have done very little "hard core" wheeling.  Granted we have wheeled Moab a few times, but the majority of our wheeling has been back country sight seeing. I have probably only used the sway bar disconnect half a dozen times in 10 years, and rarely the lockers. 

While I can be aggressive and tackle any terrain, Diane just isn't  as adventurous as I. And since we are almost always together I am leaning more towards comfort than max capability.  So I guess I am also asking about the capability of the Sahara?  And the other big reason for this change is that I am ready to go with the auto trans instead of my current six speed manual (more comfort issues).

The Sahara is fairly capable, being almost as good as the Rubi if you don't need the lockers and sway bar disconnect (comparing stockers, of course). The only time I've not gone with the others was a small side trip in Qz this year, where I left mine at the bottom of the hill and rode up and back down with Frank. Of course they've occasionally done some stuff I couldn't follow at other times, but there was always an alternate path around the challenge. A similar story at Moab, for me. We have the auto-stick which lets Mary Ann drive it just fine in fully auto, while it gives me some control over which gear I'm in when I care (all 5 gears are selectable, up to a point).

And the comfort level is pretty good -- perhaps not quite as quiet or quite as smooth a ride as my F-150 or her Crown Vic, but still a reasonable comfort level, including seating position. So given your statements above, Marty, I think the Sahara would do fine for you -- sounds much like us. And even Mary Ann will drive it.

Sarge, don't overlook a Willys.  From an online review.  Willys Wheeler gets all of the important off-road upgrades anyone leaving the pavement would want, including rock rails, a limited-slip differential, a beefier 3.73 rear-end axle ratio, heavy duty rubber floor mats and Rubicon type BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain off-road tires. 

Our 2016 with the best options package, is priced about the same as a Safari.  Can't compare to the earlier 2008 Wranglers, but ours is pretty quick and quite comfortable.  Only regret is we didn't opt for the leather interior.  After a few miles, the Rubi tires are pretty loud.  We plan on replacing with the quieter all terrain. 

More interesting choices. Still waffling on the decision, but I want to drive some of them to get a better idea.  I also have to think about listing the Rubi.  Still have some thinking to do.

I'll note that the automatic is actually an advantage over the stick particularly the hill hold. I doubt there is much difference in ride but I've not driven a Sahara.  Ours is certainly comfortable enough. Of course there are $$ considerations. In csse its not obvious, I'd buy another Rubicon but it would be a four door.

Ernie

I should also mention that I run 25-28 PSI rather than 35 in the tires. They spec the higher pressure so they get a higher mileage number but its not really necessary.

Marty, see if there are any rental companies that hire the model you are looking for.  A proper off road test drive would be just the ticket!

Well, you can't ever say that I procrastinate. I signed papers on a 2018 Jeep Sahara JLU tonight. Traded in the JK, and got one with all the whistles and bells. Granite Gray Metallic with color matched fenders. I drove it, and couldn't believe how fast it was! 3.6 L V6 Penta with 8 speed trans.

We pick it up tomorrow after I get mine cleaned out. Took a quick pic for the interested.

Attachments

• New Jeep.jpg
    New Jeep.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 41
SargeW said:
Well, you can't ever say that I procrastinate. I signed papers on a 2018 Jeep Sahara JLU tonight. Traded in the JK, and got one with all the whistles and bells. Granite Gray Metallic with color matched fenders. I drove it, and couldn't believe how fast it was! 3.6 L V6 Penta with 8 speed trans.

We pick it up tomorrow after I get mine cleaned out. Took a quick pic for the interested.

Wow Sarge you don't let any grass grow under your feet do you?, I was about to offer you the chance to some test drives. Within a 1000 yards of my shop is 2 holding lots which contains thousands of Wranglers. If you could arrange to be here on a dark night we could get in 2 maybe 3 test drives before the party poppers show up. Depending on how well you a scale a fence we may get a 4th run, but don't underestimate the pudgy guard -- he's damn light on his feet.

Anyway excellent choice of auto!!

Corky

Marty,

It looks nice.  I didn't know they went to an 8 speed auto.  I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom