Good and Bad News came our way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conquest2011

Hey ya'll

Got some good and bad news. Ordered our truck for our 5er this past January and it is was delivered the other day, that?s the good news, bad is that I am still in Kuwait and won?t be home until September. At least the warranty won?t be clicking away.

Finally the first stage of our full timing RV life style. Figured get the biggest truck I am able to afford, which is a 1 ton dually, diesel, we should be okay to pull what we would be looking for.

I have been lurking on this site for years, off and on and some other sites as well and I must say I have gained most of my RV knowledge right here.

We had a Class C for several years and did some traveling and got some firsthand experience. We sold the Class C to buckle down and save for our retirement. We weren?t going to use it enough to justify its existence we would lose too much in depreciation.

Overall, we took a loss of around 5 grand and I don?t think that was too bad for the cost of an education.  Since then we know exactly what floor plan to look for and the do and don?ts of RVing.

Next step besides getting my butt home is to start looking for our 5er. We definitely know what we want. At least 38 to 42 footer, rear entertainment. We have our eyes on Grand Design Solitude RE something or maybe Montana in their RE model.

I have been seeing some threads on NEW vs USED RV debates, lately. Well, I am or will be shortly in the market and I am torn between new and used myself.

On one hand, I could save in the ball park of 20 grand if I go used and we talking about a 5th Wheel, so no worries about engine and tranny systems, plus I am quite handy with a tool box. Even if I had to repair or replace a few items in a used RV, I still be ahead of the game and I believe with a careful eye and proper inspection I will be able hunt a pretty decent 5er down. Plus 20 grand is awful lot of camp ground fees for years to come.

Now for that pesky ?other hand?, I am not worried about the depreciation of brand new 5er, just like buying a brand new vehicle. I like that new car smell and the warranty that comes with it and I ?keep?em? until the wheels falls off. I get my money worth, last brand new truck was 20 years ago. Just sold it before I deployed for 500 bucks. We will be full timing next year; so I see a whole lota of living in it.

Well, I believe I have talked enuff; let you all go for now?

Let me know what ya think about new vs used. I am able to afford either way, but I like saving money to.

You have pretty much covered both sides of the debate Steven! I too like buying new, the bed no one has slept in, the new shower ect. New doesn't mean trouble free, but neither does used. Often times it hinges on the budget of the buyer. Remove that from the equation and it comes down to preference. Discuss it with the wife, and go for it.

Prayers you get home soon and safe!

I suggest used because a gently used FW will last just as long as a new one and leave more cash for upgrades or travel.  Last November, I bought a 09 Grand Junction 39 ft FW for $26,000.  It is in fantastic shape!  As for repairs, $75 to fix the Sleep Number bed (which worked when we looked at the camper), $100 for a new battery and $10 for a water heater element.  The rig cost $70,000 new.  I will keep it until I can't get up the steps without assistance!

Congrats on your upcoming retirement! I passed thru Kuwait almost 3 years on my way home to retire after a 2 year stint in Afghanistan. I have been retired for almost 2 years now and I love it !! Army 32 years!

I say go used, 20 grand is a lot for you to do any upgrades and for park fees. I bought a 98 American Tradition in January and it needed some love and I got it for less than half of similar rigs. Your new truck takes the drive line out of the picture so as long as the 5er is well maintained by the PO then any out of pocket repairs should be minimal, especially if you are handy with a tool box.

Everyone has a different opinion on new and used, the key thing is to make sure you go over it with a fine toothed comb!  Pay someone to do it for you if you don't feel knowledgeable enough.

Main thing, you stay safe!

Keep us posted on your progress....

We traded in our Class C MH when we were getting ready to go full time on a new 5W. We decided on new because we figured we would have it for years to come and wanted to pick out everything we wanted. Fortunately we purchased it almost a year before we needed to hit the road because it spent the first several months of our ownership in the shop for warranty repairs. If we had needed to live in it, we would have had big problems. Kinda wish we would have looked at some used ones.

Of course not all new RVs will have problems like we had, but I have heard a lot of stories. Once we got the initial problems worked out and the other modifications made to our RV, we are quite happy with it now.

Good luck with your search. Thanks for your service and come back safe. Mark is also retired from full time military service.

Vicki

Sorry for taking so long in responding, things getting little busy over here, administrative wise. I was trying to search for used 5th Wheels with our floor plan, but it is turning out a lot tougher than I anticipated.

Your responses has given me more in sight in the direction that I need to move in. I believe I will continue to search for used and feel out dealerships with their end of year new stock. I have been noticing in my search between 2015 and 2017 used models (private owners) of similar class; that I am looking for, carries around the same price as an end of year "new" model at the dealerships. I have to do more research in this area.

In reply to Shorts, you have brought up a concern for me as well. Wife and I will be full timing but we will not be selling our home and therefore, will not be faced with a situation of not having a home if the 5th Wheel is in the shop, but I don?t want to find out that our rig has major issues when we shove off either. So, I figure if I am able purchase what we want (new or used) this fall and do 2 to 3 major shake downs. Hopefully, we will discover the deficiencies and have them repaired or replaced, before we take off the following fall.

Our truck it is waiting for us at the Dealership. Next purchase on my list is the actual 5th wheel hitch. I am currently looking at the B&W 20K Companion. Any suggestions on hitches for comparison would be appreciated.

What I am finding out is that the easy part was finding a floor plan we both liked, the hard part is deciding what kind of stuff that goes in it. Like hoses of all kinds; water, sewer, utility, electric extensions and plug adaptors, surge protectors, 5th wheel lube discs and crap the list goes on. I know what I need, but the all the different brands and things to choose from is mind boggling.

Let?ya all go, man I do talk a lot.

And Thanks again.

Our 2 cents.  We had a couple must haves.  We thought we knew the floor plan we wanted.  Our must haves remained.  But the floor plan we ended up with turns out to be the better choice, although it is completely different from where we started.  We are so glad that fate choose this coach, we still have the must haves we were looking for, but our floor plan is no where near what we thought was the "perfect" floor plan.  Best of luck on the hunt, go used if you can IMO, leaves cash for upgrades and other stuff.  My bride, bless her heart, is somewhat OCD when it comes to things being clean, therefore we searched for new motorhomes.  We bought used and after two days of cleaning we could eat off the floor, the walls or the ceiling.  Just for reference our must haves were for me at least 450 hp and a tag axle, for her a bath and a half and residential refer.  We got our must haves, but our "perfect" floor plan is completely different. 

We went with the B&W 20K Companion hitch and are very happy with it. It just dropped right in to the factory prepared spots in the bed of our Ram 3500 and Mark has no problem if he needs to remove it for any reason and then put it back in himself.

Vicki

I started looking at slightly used TTs  BHs.  What I found were a few things...
1.  Limited choice of the floor plan and length that I wanted.
2.  Of the ones that hit my criteria there were either
    a.  too old (10+ years)
    b.  too far for me to go look at. 
    c.  not enough savings from new.

Im sure I could have waited longer but after 2 months, I bit the bullet and bought new.  YMMV

I have the Andersen Ultimate hitch and I dearly LOVE it!  It only weighs 37 #, so I can easily get in in and out without help.  Quick install and removal.  Pulls like a dream.

If you have a specific model, or two or three, in mind, RVTrader allows searches by make and model.  That does not guarantee they will have any, but is shortens the search time.  Many dealers list their inventory here, as well.

grashley said:
I have the Andersen Ultimate hitch and I dearly LOVE it!  It only weighs 37 #, so I can easily get in in and out without help.  Quick install and removal.  Pulls like a dream.

If you have a specific model, or two or three, in mind, RVTrader allows searches by make and model.  That does not guarantee they will have any, but is shortens the search time.  Many dealers list their inventory here, as well.

Grashley, about your Andersen I like the 37 lbs, however I saw a UTube review of the Andersen. The guy switched back to his Companion, for several reasons.

First, he had nothing but good things say about his Andersen, but he didn't want to give up bed space and that he didn't like the fact that you have to rise the 5er 4 additional inches, straining the landing legs and the difficulty he expressed in dropping the king pin into the hitch receiver. Sounds like cry baby sissy pants to me, but who am I. From your experience what is your take of this mess.

I have a 8 foot bed and U Tube guy doesn't state his bed size.

Without being too nosy, what truck bed size do you have and how much space is left over? I plan on having a genny in the front towards the cab, probably 6k or so.

Here is the link to U tube, to get a better idea of what I am trying to get across.

https://youtu.be/1EgAbrX3JCU

Until Next Time, Be Safe and Happy RVing.

Yes, I had seen that video before.

As in my sig, I have a '13 F350 supercab long bed diesel.  I also have the factory gooseneck ball, a real nice feature!  The hitch frame is about 40 inch square at the base, and is centered over the axle.  There is a couple feet or a bit more in front of the hitch, I think.  The truck has other stuff in the bed right now, so I can not measure it for you.  Visit a local camper dealer when you get home.  He should be willing to pull one out of the box and sit it in place in the bed.

One other note on buying the hitch - Andersen will not allow dealers to ADVERTISE a price below $XXX for the hitch, but they may sell them for less.  I saved about $100 buying mine from the local RV dealer rather than buying on line at the fixed ad price.

grashley said:
Conquest2011 said:
I have a 8 foot bed and U Tube guy doesn't state his bed size.

Without being too nosy, what truck bed size do you have and how much space is left over? I plan on having a genny in the front towards the cab, probably 6k or so.

Yes, I had seen that video before.

As in my sig, I have a '13 F350 supercab long bed diesel.  I also have the factory gooseneck ball, a real nice feature!  The hitch frame is about 40 inch square at the base, and is centered over the axle.  There is a couple feet or a bit more in front of the hitch, I think.

Steve, I have the Andersen gooseneck mount hitch as well and also have an 8' bed. We normally only carry a cooler, a 20# propane tank, and maybe some firewood in front of the hitch. 2 weeks ago we were at a local campground (8 miles from home!) and took lots of fire wood since it was cold and rainy. I was actually able to stack 2 rows in front of the hitch so I'd estimate closer to 32" of room there.

We are campers, not full timers, so easy removal and installation were high on my list of needs for a 5th wheel hitch. I remove the hitch after every camping trip and hang it on the wall in my garage when not in use. I have zero regrets about going with the Andersen. It takes me an extra few minutes to hook up but when I watch my buddy slam his truck into his kingpin each time, I can't help but think a little more up and down motion on the landing gear has to be better than that. Granted, I think he has a poor technique - most people I see hook up much smoother than he does!

Interesting thread as I am in pretty similar boat... (exactly the same only different....lol)
Also retired Military.
Plan to buy 5th wheel and part time / Snowbird out of AK.  Will always have sticks and bricks home front.
My timeline is 2-10 years out.  Want now, realistically 3-7 years, should be no issue in 10 barring any serious health issues, catastrophe's etc...

I have SRW 1 ton now; will see if I must or want to upgrade to a dually; all depends on fiver.
We are mostly looking new, but at the end of the day the decision will be on is it the trailer we really want (floor plane, amenities, etc); is the price right (IE a good deal); and is it in immaculate shape and not too old if we do go used.

I plan to keep my current TT in AK for AK summer camping.
Fiver will stay in lower 48 and I will bob tail thru Canada.
We are thinking very hard about taking current TT  down the first year and then buying fiver when we find the right one.  It could literally be anywhere in the states if the deal is right.  AK cost hikes of vehicles and RV's is ridiculous.

I'll be following your threads Conquest2011 and hopefully learning from all your mistakes saving me money....lol
If only life were that easy... :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom