Seeking tips on best build quality single axle toy hauler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MWFL

Howdy all!  I'm new to RV and looking for tips on the best quality (longest lasting) single axle toy haulers, or which brands to look for or avoid.  It seems build quality is all over the map and insight from anyone with experience would be greatly appreciated. Currently I'm using a cargo trailer with A/C to haul my motorcycles and sleep in, but thinking a toy hauler with beds would be much more comfortable.  ;) 

Seems to me the requirement that it be single axle pretty much rules out much of a toy hauler. Single axle pretty much limits you to under 4000 lb gross weight and that doesn't haul much of a toy or have much room for beds , galley & bath. Why does it have to be that small?

MWFL said:
Howdy all!  I'm new to RV and looking for tips on the best quality (longest lasting) single axle toy haulers, or which brands to look for or avoid.  It seems build quality is all over the map and insight from anyone with experience would be greatly appreciated. Currently I'm using a cargo trailer with A/C to haul my motorcycles and sleep in, but thinking a toy hauler with beds would be much more comfortable.  ;)

I used my cargo trailer (before I got a MH) to sleep in with my motorcycles.
It is a double axle trailer with 7000lbs GVWR so it could hold what I wanted.
With a double axle trailer if you have a flat you might be able to limp to the next exit or beyond.
With a Single axle and a flat you are stuck there until the tire is changed.

I assume your going to be limited somewhat IF you insist on getting only a single axle toy hauler as I agree with Gary
that you would be limited on what you could carry as by the time all the stuff like a bathroom, fridge, Holding tanks, beds, oven and
TV's and a couch and AC unit etc there would be very little left over for a motorcycle - unless it's a dirt bike and weighs around 300lbs.

The ONLY reason I could see you wanting a single axle toy hauler is you have a car to tow it with and not a truck.

Now you admit to being new - so the best advice I can give you is buy used.  You will get more for your money and if you make
a mistake buying a unit - it won't hurt as bad. 
So the condition of a unit is much more important than a particular make and model as any unit can be a good one or bad one depending
on how it was taken care of.

Thanks guys for the replies.  It will also be used for a lot of day trips where its primary duties will be a cargo trailer and a cool place (A/C) to shelter from the heat between rides, so I don't want all the extra effort and expense that goes into hauling around a big multi axle trailer.  Really what I'm after is a cargo trailer with fold down beds, A/C, a toilet and shower.  Anything else would be nice but not required.  The bikes are dirt bikes, the heaviest is around 260# and I don't normally carry more than 3. 

For perspective I've attached pictures of what I'm using now, though my truck has been upgraded to a Colorado diesel (7600# max tow capacity). 

Attachments

• temp (Custom).jpg
    temp (Custom).jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 35
Really what I'm after is a cargo trailer with fold down beds, A/C, a toilet and shower.

I doubt that any commercial Toy Hauler will only have the above.
As Fresh water, grey and black tanks, a microwave oven, and sink and a fridge/freezer would be the minimum additional items
that would be included. Most would have a furnace too so that means a propane tank or two also. 

Extra effort?  I don't see any extra effort - maybe expense up front when you first buy it - and a couple of extra tires every 10 years or so.

From the pic you posted I assume you want at least a little bigger trailer.  I'm not sure how much bigger you can get with a single axle.
Because as the size goes up so does the weight and then the amount you can carry goes down.  I think that is why MOST TH's are DA.
Also most TH's have a flat front or rounded front but not a V shape like many cargo trailer are - mine included.

Sorry I can't help you more that that.
Let us know if you find a Single axle Toy Hauler that meets your needs.

There are some single axle toy haulers out there, I just don't know if the brands are any good.  Here's an example, these guys have 2 single axle models:

https://www.kz-rv.com/toy-haulers.html

Here's a used one of these models:  https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2015-K-Z-Spree-Escape-E17FKTH-5002446122

Welcome to the Forum!

K-Z is a solid brand.  All manufacturers have good days and bad days.

Thanks for identifying your TV (Tow Vehicle).  That 7900# Max Tow is for advertising purposes ONLY, but you should be okay anyway.  To find out for sure, look at the driver door latch post for a placard that states the max weight of all passengers and cargo shall not exceed XXXX#.  That is your max payload.  It is what it says, and is specific to THAT truck.

Add together the weight of all passengers and cargo in the truck, plus 10% of the TH  GVWR.  It should be less than max payload.

Clearly, the Colorado will not handle a 12,000 trailer, but that is not what you are asking!

None of those KZ single axle so-called toyhaulers would really qualify as such, i.e. no garage for carrying motorbikes, ATVs, etc.  Look at the floor plans! Maybe suitable for a bicycle, but that's about it.

I would hate to have a blow out with a single axle toy hauler, pretty much going to trash the rim.  I've had 3 blow outs with mine and was more than glad I had a dual axles.

I agree with the others on a double axle.
My experience has been getting what I think at the time would be sufficient and then discovering quite quickly I should have spend a little extra and got bigger.
You will be glad when you want to stay out a little longer and discover the extra weight and room allows for it. No to mention bigger tanks.
As to your original post, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in build between different companies.
One can always find good and bad reviews with just about every brand.
My first one was a Dutchman. I was very pleased with it.
I did also check out Dunesport when shopping for one. They have an interesting concept....you spec it out.
Happy shopping.

MWFL said:
and I don't normally carry more than 3. 

Links yo provided would hold 2 bikes at most IMO.  Didn't see tie down anchors in the pictures.  Not 100% if 7 1/2 feet length is enough for a motorcycle length either?

Thanks guys for the replies.  7.5 feet would be just enough for a dirtbike, they are about 7.2 feet long.  I would add removable bike shoes and tie downs as I did with my current trailer. 

BUT you gave me an idea.  Is a hitch receiver on the back of the trailer a common feature?  If I opted for a single axle camper (not a toy hauler) with a receiver at the rear, I could put my bike and my wife's bike diagonally in the bed of my truck (hers is not full size), and one more full size bike on a receiver mounted bike carrier at the back of the trailer, and supplies plus required ballast up front in the trailer to keep the tongue weight right.  I'm just throwing this idea against the wall to see if any part of it sticks. ;) 

I guess its doable, but with a single axle once you get it set right there is little to no leeway.  You either always have bike on back to balance or never have one on there.  I've owed lots of trailers and single axles get squirrelly; especially the heavier they are.
I realize you have been towing a single axle for sometime now, but I just don't see the "extra effort and expense that goes into hauling around a big multi axle trailer"  Initial expense and 2 more tire expense yes.
  But you gain room, stability when towing, brakes on trailer axles, easier backing, etc...

I'm bouncing all over the place... so the real problem I'm trying to solve is comfortable sleeping.  My current trailer carries my bikes, has A/C, has a porta-potty and is easy to tow, but sleeping inside it is not comfortable, and the bikes and gas cans have to sleep outside if I'm sleeping inside.  The big A/C is fantastic at 2:00pm in the August heat, but at 2:00am it's like sleeping in a hurricane even on the low setting.  Toy haulers don't seem to be nearly as good as cargo trailers for actually hauling toys, so that got me thinking about a truck bed camper.  Has anyone ever used one of these and do they sleep comfortably?  I've got about 1450# to work with before I hit GVWR; so 350# for people, 300# for my current trailer tongue weight (loaded), leaves me about 800# for a light weight camper.  Thoughts?

MWFL said:
the bikes and gas cans have to sleep outside if I'm sleeping inside.

FYI you will find this the case with many toy haulers as well.  Especially the smaller ones.  No matter what you will want gas cans outside IMO.

As for the camper, I think the best you could do would be a pop up type, but AC is going to be an issue.

Not trying to be a nay sayer or Debbie downer, but IMHO, in the end your desires are not compatible with the size truck and trailer you desire.

I stumbled across one this weekend almost by accident, a single axle toy hauler that is decently equipped.  Dry weight was 3200# and they claim 1600# cargo capacity, which I'm sure includes liquids.  It had a queen size bed, shower and potty, stove and microwave, a/c, pretty much all the basics.  Unfortunately the build quality was really bad.  Sticker was $21k, it was a left over 2018 they were now asking about $15k for.  Compared to my cargo trailer, the floor felt soft and squishy and the loading ramp felt flimsy.  It just felt like 10 years from now it's going to be completely falling apart.  It's a shame it wasn't better built because the layout was decent for the size. 

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=511&ShowParent=1&ModelID=3671#Main

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom