Swap WDH to different tow vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim828

Hey folks. Just traded from a 2010 Tahoe to a 2018 Yukon. Pulling an Edge M21. I'm using an Equalizer WDH. Bottom of receiver on new vehicle is 1" higher than Tahoe. Do y'all think I can use as is or should I go through the whole set up process? Thanks for the input.

It would probably work just fine starting an inch high. May start an inch high on purpose.

I just installed an equal-i-zer WDH on my Xterra and Winnie Drop 1780. There are more factors that go into the correct setup (such as loading, tung weight, and vehicle suspension/weight) other than height of the hitch. I'd suggest re-installing but you can always just transfer it and see if the TV is still level and handles well in which case you are probably good to go.

The inch probably is not a problem, but the amount of weight distribution is likely to be well-off from optimal.  The primary function of WD is to shift weight forward, off the rear axle and onto the front.  Odds are heavy that the 2018 has a much different suspension and weight proportions. I would re-calibrate the WD - it's not that big a deal with the trailer end already in place and the trailer tongue weight unchanged.

We swapped our hitch from a 2011 Tundra to a 2016 Tundra and you wouldn?t think there would be much difference in the setup. However, after a trip to the CAT scales, I did have to make an adjustment to the number of shim washers it took to get the load evened out between the trailer, and the truck?s rear and front axles. It?s not hard to do, and the scales take the guesswork out of it. Just make sure that when you go to the scales, the trailer and truck are loaded as they would be for camping.

Back
Top Bottom