Desperate in Las Vegas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foovay

My husband and I have been living full time in our Class C RV for three years. Recently we moved to Las Vegas, NV in order to get the health care that he needs. What I didn't know then is that NO campground here will allow you to stay with an RV over 10 years old. My RV is a 1975 Dodge Class C. It's very livable, and dependable transportation even, but not the prettiest ever.

We are quiet people who keep to ourselves. We try to leave any place we stay nicer than it was when we moved in. We are drug free. My husband is on full disability and is on in clinic hemodialysis. His new clinic and new doctors are in downtown Las Vegas and we ride the public bus system rather than try to drive a Class C around town. Since we can't seem to find a campground we have had to rent an apartment that costs over 3/4 of our income. We are literally now having to choose, his prescriptions, or the high protein diet he requires to survive on dialysis. Most weeks, I live on one dozen eggs. Two a day. Because he HAS to eat well or die.

Because he worked most of his life, he receives a "good" SSD income, which means that we are not eligible for ANY state assistance.

I am so desperate that I may have to sell our RV soon. Then we will be at risk of being homeless as well as food insecure. Homelessness is a DEATH SENTENCE for my husband.

Please, help me. I desperately need to find a campground or park where we can park our older RV and have a lot rent we can afford. I can not make a deposit either - we are barely living at this point and I don't have a few hundred to spare laying around!

It must be close enough to at least the outskirts of Las Vegas for us to be able to walk to a bus stop so he can get to his dialysis treatments three days a week.

WE ARE NOT TRAILER TRASH OR CRAPPY CRIMINAL PEOPLE. We are simply quiet people who want to have a decent life and keep my husband alive. But I'm not proud, I'll live anywhere if it means he will be able to survive. The RV is not self contained so we cannot go live on BLM, even if there were any close enough to his dialysis.

You're my last hope. I don't want to sell the RV. But I can't afford for us to continue living here.

So far the only park I have found is Midway Trailer Park in Las Vegas, but they are full. They have been telling me for three months they will have an opening soon. Then when the date comes, they do not have an opening. Please help us. Thank you.

P.S We can't bounce around from one parking lot to the next because of his health issues. We also need to be able to get our mail. Thank you.

You can try sources like campendium or http://freecampsites.net/ and use a mailbox service but I bet you can ask around and find someone with some space outside of town that will allow you stay on their property for a small rent. Worth a try?

Bolder HWY. the Thousand Trails CG. I do not know if they do long term or not.

Last time I was there was a long time ago but there were a few that did not ask the age of yoru RV back then.  One of them was two doors South of TT but I think they closed.

Duck Creek on Boulder Hwy about three miles south of Sam's Town states on their website they won't take any RV more than 10 years old, but they don't hold to that rule if your RV doesn't look like it's homemade. They also offer weekly and monthly rates and I believe they charge $430 per month. I don't know if that's going to be close enough to downtown for you, though. If it is, I can give a personal recommendation for the park. They are very friendly and helpful. It's a typical city park with asphalt everywhere, but they have a couple of dog runs if you have fur babies and they're really good about dogs.

Kings Row RV Park on Boulder Highway south of E. Sahara would be a possibility.  Very reasonable rates and their policy is RVs 12 years and older can be admitted with manager's approval.  The bus line is one block away.

I suggest talking to them in person and explaining your situation instead of calling on the phone. 

I suggest you get into a nursing home if you are of Medicare age and give up the RV.  You can separate your two incomes so you can both get in.

Due to the worthless and even cruel suggestions made by some of the posters, I will be leaving the forum and obviously, this thread.

Thank you for assuming I am even more STUPID than you are.

foovay said:
Due to the worthless and even cruel suggestions made by some of the posters, I will be leaving the forum and obviously, this thread.

WOW! Where'd that come from? I thought everyone was doing their best to give good answers. If you lurk behind the scenes, please log back in and explain the "worthless, and even cruel suggestions" that were given.

foovay said:

Really!  I thought there were good responses and suggestions.  Sorry for your difficult position.

One thing I've learned from volunteering at the American Red Cross for the last 9 years is that stuff like this happens every so often.  Someone doesn't like the answers they get so they try to insult and demean those who tried to help.  Don't let it get to you.

foovay said:

Ok...didn't see that coming.
I hope things work out for you.

whokares2 said:
I suggest you get into a nursing home if you are of Medicare age and give up the RV.  You can separate your two incomes so you can both get in.

I don't think this was appropriate. They seem like a nice couple just wanting to enjoy their RV for whatever time they have remaining still and remain independent not being a burden on anyone even in a nursing home. A nursing home is the last place I want to spend my last years. I've seen what some of them are like. When I'm ready, I'll just say pull the plug.

Rene T said:
I don't think this was appropriate. They seem like a nice couple just wanting to enjoy their RV for whatever time they have remaining still and remain independent not being a burden on anyone even in a nursing home. A nursing home is the last place I want to spend my last years. I've seen what some of them are like. When I'm ready, I'll just say pull the plug.
I think this was trying to be helpful Rene. They sound in an awful position and i think this suggestion was made with good intentions. Although I do think this was probably what upset them.

edit.... not trying to be argumentative just offering a different view

jackiemac said:
I think this was trying to be helpful Rene. They sound in an awful position and i think this suggestion was made with good intentions. Although I do think this was probably what upset them.
I agree. There are a large number of people who are looking at their RV as a lifeboat at critical times in their lives, and that may work for some. However, an RV can also drain what limited funds someone may have, and they would be better served getting rid of the RV and fall back on more conventional solutions.
So I would respectfully disagree with Rene that the suggestion was inappropriate. Perhaps not the solution he would use or offer, but not inappropriate (and certainly not cruel). I think whokares2's suggestion was made in good faith as a potential solution to OP's situation that should at least be considered.

I think everyone went out of there way to help them. I did not see any malicious acts. Terrible they felt that way. This is one of the best forums I have been on.

If it truly was intended as being helpful, then the wording should have been different, more gentle. When I first saw it I thought it was very rude and inappropriate. It wasn't until folks started mentioning it as just another option that I saw it's possibly intended as help, but it didn't come across that way.

A nursing home is a very poor choice for someone who has the ability to operate an RV. That said however.  Many people do not understand the difference between many facilities, and to further confuse the matter many facilities are "All of the below"

Senior Residence/Retirement home.. Independent living, some have a community dining hall, some do not
Assisted living:  Staff checks on you Community dining, but your apartment is yours save for the cleaning lady
Nursing home: Medically assisted. 24 hour medical staff. Medical monitoring is possible.

This is not a precise description of the three.. but there are some very nice Retirement places.. But if you are the kind of person who has an RV, paid for, and you are on short term "hard times" as I was from about 2007-13.. None of the above are good choices.  Today I"m in better financial position, but alas that changed just 4 days before my wife died.. So .. I could use a travelling companion.

But Wife worked in all the above, which is why I know the difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom