Cat under the dash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

Our 2 1/2 year old 8lb cat manages to go under the dash when something frightens her.  It's almost impossible to get her out and it can be a while unless she gets hungry or needs to use the litter box.  I'm a little concerned since she still likes to chew on things.  So far everything still works, but any electrical problems that occur down the road will include a closer look under the dash. 

So far I haven't opened the dash and while I think I know how it opens, I'm not positive.  Anyone with an 05 fleetwood gasser or equivalent have a need to look under the dash.  If so, please explain how you've done it.  I also need to check the wiring of, or possibly replace the rear view monitor.

Also, for those of you who have had similar cat problems, what have you done to block the limited access under the dash. 

I lived full time with three cats in a class A. I built a dam out of 1/2 inch wood that I used to block their access. I had to remove the dam while driving.

I worked on a coach a few years ago that had fiberglass window screening attached under the dash with snaps. The owner said he installed it to keep his cats out. It wasn't in the way for driving, so it only needed to be removed for under dash service.

Well I don't have your scarady cat.... I have her boyfriend.. Same thing.

So far he's not chewed anything under dash but he has knocked a connection or two loose.

My Rig is front engine. I hit the starter and he becomes bullet cat heading for the REAR of the house.

Knock on wood--so far we haven't had that problem.  The only thing Rusty did when he was little (a long time ago) was walking out on the steering column and sitting  on the air bag of the steering wheel while we were driving.

John From Detroit said:
Well I don't have your scarady cat.... I have her boyfriend.. Same thing.

So far he's not chewed anything under dash but he has knocked a connection or two loose.

My Rig is front engine. I hit the starter and he becomes bullet cat heading for the REAR of the house.

I've thought about that.  Yesterday I went outside and banged on the front of the engine compartment to no avail.  Starting the engine sounds a bit drastic but when all else fails will keep that in mind. 

Dutch, I like the window screen solution.  Not sure where I'd attach the snaps though.  Likely doable on the passenger side, but don't see how it could be done on the driver side. 

Tom, that sound doable.  Do you have a photo of the dam?

garyb1st said:
I like the window screen solution.  Not sure where I'd attach the snaps though. 

You might try velcro.  Pretty stick adhesive on both sides.

garyb1st said:
Dutch, I like the window screen solution.  Not sure where I'd attach the snaps though.  Likely doable on the passenger side, but don't see how it could be done on the driver side. 

Tom, that sound doable.  Do you have a photo of the dam?

Yeah, the attachment method would vary depending on the dash construction. Spencer's self-adhesive Velcro could be workable though.

Any suggestions for keeping a 16# Bichon from getting under the passenger seat and chewing the seat belt wiring to get back out. :(

Does your cat have another "safe space"?  If not then you might want to get one, I am not a cat expert, but I know that some dogs actually like the little cages and go there when they are frightened.  Maybe one of those fluffy igloo type things?

Good luck. 

kdbgoat said:
Any suggestions for keeping a 16# Bichon from getting under the passenger seat and chewing the seat belt wiring to get back out. :(
You could borrow Gary's cat and teach it to go under your seat and then there would be no room for the doggy?

Or use the velcro idea and put some material all the way around, even just the look of the barrier might put it off.  Oh and get it a chew  ;D

He's got piles of chew toys. He just likes to get in the cab area for quiet time I guess. That's when he went under the seat and apparently got hung up in the wiring. He just chewed it to get back out. I just have to take a bit to redo everything which will take some time due to access. I want it to be as good as it was and get rid of the seatbelt light on the dash.

kdbgoat said:
He's got piles of chew toys. He just likes to get in the cab area for quiet time I guess. That's when he went under the seat and apparently got hung up in the wiring. He just chewed it to get back out. I just have to take a bit to redo everything which will take some time due to access. I want it to be as good as it was and get rid of the seatbelt light on the dash.

Awww.  I just love dogs.  We really miss our Jack Russell, he died 5 years ago, but as we are travelling back and forward to the UK can't really have one as it wouldn't be fair.

Our approach so far, the orange noodles stuffed into her secret under dash hiding place.  Actually I think she goes under the dash to escape our larger cat, Aquilles, when she realizes she can only whack Aquilles on the head so many times before Aquillies goes after her.  She's almost as tall and long as Aquillies but only about half his weight. 

Attachments

• Goldie under chair.jpeg
    Goldie under chair.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 20
Thanks Jackie.  Two cat carriers, a scratching post, a cat tree, two litter boxes and more toys than you can count.  Takes a bit of space but wouldn't have it any other way. 

garyb1st said:
Thanks Jackie.  Two cat carriers, a scratching post, a cat tree, two litter boxes and more toys than you can count.  Takes a bit of space but wouldn't have it any other way.
You need to look after your pets. Our pooch was totally spoiled but we were  rewarded with so much love and joy.

I had a coach the cat could get under the dash and lay on the radio. She could only get in from the passenger side.  I bought some 1/2" hardware cloth and made a grate. To go over the area.  Couldn't close it up because the return for dash ac/heat was there.

Both of our Monaco coaches had/have "cat" access to the dash from above the drivers feet. I made a shield out of 1/4" white hardboard for the sides to the right and left of the steering column. I had to use a jig saw to cut the irregular shape and some el brackets to attach it to the sides and the steering column.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom