Electric Toilet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emilyeliza25

I am buying a new rv and it's sad to say but my saleswoman isn't too familiar with the electric toilet either. Its hooked up to a battery and needs to be charged via 12 volt. And there is no charger so I will have to buy one. Can I still flush my electric toilet manually. Or do I need to buy the charger before it gets here?

I am getting a 2012 redwood crossroad. The toilet is after market. I don't know the brand

The two electric toilets I've had were not manually flushable. But neither of them had a straight path into the black tank, either, so even manually depressing the ball in the bottom wouldn't have been much help -- it needed the pumping action to actually get the effluent into the tank. When you say it's "hooked up to a battery and needs to be charged via 12 volt" does that mean it has its own separate battery or does that mean it's hooked to the trailer's main battery (the one that runs the lights, water pump and more). If it's the latter, then the battery will charge whenever you're plugged in to shore power. If it's the former, then it's a really weird arrangement, and the answer will depend on how things are wired.

Apparently there are several different 5th wheel  models of that Redwood brand called Crossroads, ranging up to 38 feet, and there are different floor plans, so the model number might help someone to give a more specific answer.

Electric toilets in RVs are typically used when the effluent needs to be pumped to the black tank rather than simply dropping in via gravity, so there is no manual flush without power to the electric pump. These are almost always factory-installed, since the plumbing is an integral part of the RV waste water system.

There are also electric incinerating toilets that do not have a black tank connection at all. Those are usually aftermarket installs, so may be what you have. The most common brand is the Laveo Dry Flush, which has a battery pack & charger.  It also uses a disposable cartridge (bag) to store the waste, so you have to buy those as well.  The advertising says the battery is good for 300+ flushes but the cartridges are good only for about 17 flushes. There is no way to manually flush these either, cause there is no place for the stuff to go.  Learn more about it at: https://dry-flush.com/

Emilyeliza25 said:
I am getting a 2012 redwood crossroad. The toilet is after market. I don't know the brand

The only Redwood Crossroads I found on a search is a very big 5th wheel trailer. Are you equipped to tow and stop such a big beast?? DO NOT believe the salesperson on this without checking yourself first as she did not seem to know much about this trailer.

One question I have to ask is why was such an 'aftermarket' toilet installed in that unit?? ALL RV's are supplied with charger, most often called a converter, but.....  whether it will work for this will depend largely on the original installation.

I think the others have probably answered your primary question.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom