B2 visa extension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nigeluk

Hi all
We are just going through the i539 form to extend our stay for another 6 months in th US they ask for reasons as to why we want to extend. Is to continue touring the country a good enough answer? If any one else has been through the process I would be grateful for their advice. Also what are our chances of a further 6 months if we are lucky enough to get this extension?

Nigel, I've never completed/submitted a form i539, but hopefully someone who has will jump in. It's never been clear to me what they consider a valid reason to extend your stay.

It's been a while since I read the online instructions/guidelines for i539 (and they may have changed), but they used to suggest that submitting the form could extend your stay by up to 18 months. I haven't read anything that suggests you can submit successive i539's for additional extensions. Check the latest i539 guidelines

Please let us know if you discover more information & if your request is granted.

It's never been clear to me what they consider a valid reason to extend your stay.

Since it's applicable to both B1(business) & B2 (pleasure) visa holders, I would think that "extending our vacation to tour this great country" would be a valid reason for extension of stay.

You would and I would, but we're talking about the guvment here.

I couldn't think of a better reason to state for staying. Can you?

I too am interested in this as we are considering an extension at some point.

You could maybe consider, carefully, saying while you are in good health, or you are doing it because you can take time away from work, as well as the obvious to see all you can of this wonderful country...

Hope it goes well for you....

Thanks all
As always honesty is the best policy, we can't go home yet we have the whole of the West side still to do and some say thats the best side. We have only reached New Jersey so far coming up from Florida via Texas. If it gets,better than what we have seen already we are in for a great time.
Let's hope Mr Trump let's us stay at least for another 6 months.

Good luck Nigel. Keep an eye open in our forum for rallies &/or members' travel plans /locations. You'll find we're a welcoming bunch.

Hello again. Our application for an extension to our Visa has been in for the required 45 days before our Visa runs out. We have not heard anything other than they have received our application. Our current visa runs out on July 6 should we start packing our bags?

Nigel, assuming you're talking about an I-539 extension application, the rules used to say that their acknowledgement of your application was good enough to stay unless they notified you otherwise (my words). Check the current I-539 rules.

[quote author=Tom]... the rules used to say that their acknowledgement of your application was good enough to stay unless they notified you otherwise (my words). Check the current I-539 rules.[/quote]
The wording has changed a little, but it appears that you're still good unless/until they decide your stay can't be extended; In such cases, you'd be asked to leave. See page 3 of the linked pdf.

Thanks Tom for your advice once again. We got the extension through today which takes us through to the end of the year.
At the risk of sounding greedy, what are the chances of us extending again?

Thanks for the update Nigel. I don't know what the rule is for additional extensions. But you might want to re-read the I-539 page.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom