Storing the content of old VHS tapes, cassettes and mini DVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Not a photography question per se, but I was wondering what folks have done to store/archive their videos. We have VHS tapes, video cassettes, and mini DV tapes containing lots of family and trip memories. Did you convert to a different format before storing?

I recommend converting to digital media.  VHS and other tape media is very sensitive to high temperatures and, of course, sensitive to strong magnetic fields.  They can certainly be archived reasonably well if temperature controlled and magnetically shielded, but still at risk in the long term.  Of course, digital archiving isn't guaranteed and good backups are needed.  Cloud backups are great for this.

Tom said:
How do you convert Tom?
Since I had gotten rid of my VHS player and camcorder and Super 8 projector, I sent them off to be digitized.  There are lots of services for that and not too expensive.  Just Google 'vhs conversion' and take your pick. Some are better than others, but you'll have to do your own research on that.

If you still have a VCR there are several devices and software packages available to capture video and convert it to digital.  Google 'video capture'.

Just remember, DVDs do deteriorate with time and may need to be re-copied periodically (another advantage of Cloud backup).

Our friend is busy copying her VHS to DVD on our old DVD reader/writer linked to her VHS player.  It is apparently quite simple if you still have these or can buy functioning ones if you have a lot to copy.  Let me know if you need help, Steve is fairly knowledgeable about this stuff....

A few years ago I scanned 6438 photos plus several hundred slides and saved them all digitally.  I had all my 8mm transferred to DVD by an outfit in Florida but don't have their name right now.  The unofficial historian of my home town in PA recently died and a volunteer has taken on the project of transferring all his VHS and 8mm.  There were 400 VHS tapes and 75 8mm reels.  He is using an outfit called FilmFix (https://www.facebook.com/FilmFix-111683707490/?fref=mentions.  He has not mentioned the cost involved but is highly satisfied with their work.

I still have my VHS and Hi8 tape players (even my old Videonics separate video editing boxes), and I have a camcorder with firewire (it uses mini-DV tapes) and S-video/composite pass-through, as well as a firewire input on the computer. So I hook up that camcorder to the computer via firewire, then I hook the tape player to the appropriate connection on the camcorder. There are analog video capture boards (and other devices) available to do the same thing.

Then I fire up Pinnacle Studio and use its capture mode to get the video into the computer. With Studio I can make DVDs and I can make .mp4 files (or several other formats) to play on the computer.

I also have a DVD player/writer with analog inputs for direct transfer to DVD, but it's not as versatile as doing it through Studio.

I have a Plustek 7600 slide scanner and have put probably a third of my 10,000 plus slides into the computer. I still have a cassette deck and an open reel tape deck, too, as well as a good turntable, and have copied a number of my LPs, open reel tapes, and cassettes to get them on CD.

Jim Johnson said:
Forgot to add that I used a commercial program called VueScan to do the photos and slides.
Yes, VueScan is great, will drive most scanners and is continually updated. It's more versatile than most scanning software, too.

Haven't used VueScan for many years. The company used to comp it to forum staffers while we were hosted on Compuserve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom