Engine battery misbehaving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougie Brown

I collected the RV from storage a week ago and after refitting the engine battery which had been at a friend's place since last year and charged a few days before I arrived, I turned the key and it started, sweet as a nut. Drove it 60 miles back to our friend's place where it's stood on 110 hook-up whilst I've prepped it for our trip starting tomorrow. I started it a few times during the week whilst checking everything and again, it worked perfectly. Two days ago however, it acted like it had gone flat inasmuch as the engine grunted and would not turn over. The dash lights/brake servo etc. all came on bright with the ignition but everything (lights, wipers, dash lights, servo) dimmed or cut out when trying to start. The voltage monitor indicated 12.6V which is normal. I left it an hour and tried again - several times - and it started as good as gold. Today, it's done the same thing but has not recovered. I can of course start the coach using the dash booster switch. My multimeter and the coach voltage display shows 14.2V when running.

I disconnected the battery terminals and chassis ground strap, cleaned the contacts and tried again with no luck. The Trik-L-Start is working and battery always shows full voltage. I've not been able to load-test it however, which I plan to do at a store once we get to our first stop tomorrow. Meantime, any thoughts please?

Dougie.

Edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Yeap, one or more weak cells, so you have voltage (called a surface charge) but inadequate amps for reliable cranking. A load test will likely prove that, but if the battery is more than 3-4 years old I would probably just go ahead and replace it.

Thank you gentlemen. It is in fact 4 years old so it'll be coming out later today in favor of a new one. Much appreciated.

Dougie.

New battery obtained and fitted. The store was busy and couldn't do a load check so I went ahead and replaced it. Now working like a boss.:D Thanks.

Dougie.

never let your batteries sit a long time without a trickle charger to keep them fresh..harbor freight has a good one for abt 9 bucks and it works great,,I have had one for abt 4 yrs and never have any battery trouble

Back
Top Bottom