Yellowstone suggestions camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghostman

Looking for suggestions for Yellowstone on RV park. Wanting something central to access all areas without having to drive jeep a terrible distance. Full hook ups for a 40' class A. Needing to get reservations for mid July. Then around Jackson area. Or any areas we must see. Taking advice. One of the last parks we have not been too.

Thanks, Jarrod

You are in trouble trying to find reservations for July this late. The only place with full hookups in the Park proper is Fishing Bridge, and it is always full months in advance. There is also the possibility of a cancellation, though sites suitable for a rig as big as yours are few. I would recommend West Yellowstone. It is close to the thermal areas and only 1 1/2 to 2 hours to the wildlife hotspot of Lamar Valley. Grizzly RV Park is my top choice, but I have heard they are fully booked until September. You should call and see if they have had a cancellation. There is also a KOA just a bit farther out that is nice. The other West Yellowstone campgrounds aren?t as nice, but you won?t be at the rig much anyway. There is a private campground with full hookup at the southern end of the park between Yellowstone and Grand Teton called Flagg Ranch, but it is a multi hour trip to get to most of Yellowstone from there.

Some general information about YNP (some items apply to GTNP also)

YNP is about 45 miles E/W and about 65 miles N/S (2.2 mil. Acres total). The figure 8 loop road inside the park is about 140 miles around. The lower loop is 96 miles and the upper loop is 70 miles around and yes, it is bigger than the states of Rhode Island and Delaware combined.

Whatever time that you think you will need to see YNP you better double it, or to say it another way is that you will see one half as much as you planned on in the allotted time. The Bison think that they own the road (they do!) and will slow down the traffic to walking speed or all stop for 1/4 mile or more blocking both directions of travel, the thermal attractions also tie up traffic and with a 5 month long summer tourist season that coincides with a 5 month long road construction season and a 45 MPH radar controlled speed limit it will take about a full day to see each loop and then you will only see the main attractions. In addition to the occasional construction delays they will also sometimes close whole sections of road (for uninterrupted night construction) between 10 PM and 8 AM in the morning, if you are running late and get caught at night in the wrong area it CAN be a LONG way around to your CG! (The entrance stations will have current construction information or go on line to check it out)

Then there is the elevation- YNP ranges from a low at Mammoth- 6239 ft to 7784 ft at Fishing Bridge or higher if you go hiking and there are passes on the grand loop road that are close to 8000 ft or so! Drink plenty of liquids and pace yourself when walking.

I recommend that you get up EARLY, leave the CG and be back by 4 or 6 PM have dinner and be sitting in your recliner drinking a cool one when your neighbor drags himself back to the CG at 8-10 PM. Remember that from mid May to mid July in YNP the sun doesn't set until about 9:30- 9:45 PM then there is a long twilight.

Cell Phone Service- Only at the major visitor centers, otherwise spotty to non-existent!

Clothing- Especially in the early or late season it is not unusual to have a 30 or even the occasional 40 degree temperature change throughout the day. Dress with easily shed layers of clothing. Also dress in bright easily seen clothing. I am sure that we all have been to a sporting event, parade or Disney World etc. and we blink our eyes and our partner/child has disappeared. My DIL was born and raised in HI, you guessed it, every Xmas, b-day or Father's Day I receive a Hawaiian shirt. One of them is  shiny black with 4-5 inch dia. bright flowers. Not many of them in Wyoming and in YSNP, that is what I wear. If your partner has on a Violet blouse and a Orange scarf with a Pink hat I guarantee that she will be the only one within the boundaries of either NP. It can save you a few anxious moments.

Water- Now I will have to contradict myself, at the altitude of YNP yes, drink lots of water!    HOWEVER, be aware that the flush toilet restrooms are are in the major tourist areas- Mammoth, Canyon, Fishing Bridge, Lake Hotel, Bridge Bay, Grant Village, Old Faithful, Madison Junction etc. The geyser basins and other thermal attractions areas only have pit toilets. I have seen the pit toilet line (2 rest rooms) at the lower Geyser Basin 25 or more feet long (bless the tour buses) So be smart about drinking your water and use the major tourist area R/Rs before leaving the area! I.e. ?Never pass up a flush toilet!?

Sun- At YSNP altitude the Sun is intense (uv)have and apply sunscreen, wear that old floppy wide brim sun hat, wear Sunglasses!

If your luck is like mine Old Faithful will have just erupted when you get there and you will have up to a hour and 10 to 15 minutes wait for the next one. Tour tour the O/F Geyser basin while waiting. O/F INN is a must see, reportedly the largest LOG building in the U.S. (Meals in the O/F dinning room are ?OK? also.

We have lived about 110 miles from West Yellowstone, MT since 1964, go to YSNP 3-4 times a summer (normally before Memorial Day and after Labor Day) and haven't seen it all yet! So don?t be discouraged that you didn?t have the time to see all of it. Just plan on coming back another time!

I honestly don?t mean to scare or discourage you but to give you a heads up as to what to expect! After all there was 4.1 million visitors in 2015!  As far as I know we didn?t lose one of them. Except those who by their own stupidity step off the board walks into BOILING HOT water and ignoring the warnings about the WILD ANIMALS!  That is called purifying the gene pool!Early in the summer of 2017 a foreign visitor stepped off a boardwalk into just a few inches of hot water. He walked about 100 yards (according to the newspaper) broke thru the crust and parboiled himself. The park service decided not to try to retrieve the body! Between the temperature of the water and the acidity of it the body would just fall apart when retrieving it, as well as being dangerous to the rangers. Of course a few Bison fall in every winter also.

Note I have seen on this blog and others about folks ?day tripping? from YSNP to GTNP, it is done all the time (myself included) however remember this is BIG country and with the speed limits, animals and thermal attractions you will NOT come close to a 60- 65 MPH average. From the West Thumb Area, Grant Village Visitor Center (extreme S/E corner of the lower loop road) to Jackson, WY is about 80 miles with Coulter Bay being about 1/2 way then from Grant Village you have to add the distance to your CG it will be a Long days trip!

A point of Coulter Bay (in GTNP) clarification- there are two (2) CG?s at Coulter Bay, One, the ?Coulter Bay RV Park? a full service ?RV Park? with FHU?S that takes reservations. The other is the ?Coulter Bay Campground ? has no hookups and doesn?t take reservations. Both have about 300 sites and are located basically across the road from each other.

Also in GTNP be sure to see Jenny Lake, the water is swimming pool clear! You almost feel like you are in space when you are on the boat dock and you can see the rental boat shadows on the bottom of the lake!

When in the Jackson area I highly recommend seeing the Bar J Chuckwagon dinner show! If you go, MAKE RESERVATIONS and BE THERE EARLY TO PICK UP YOUR MEAL TICKETS/ TABLE SEATING ASSIGNMENTS! They seat you by when you show up to get your tickets NOT by your reservation number. Tim, their fiddle player has won the "Idaho state old time fiddle contest 7 times and the US open fiddle championship twice".  If you decide to go you will sit at picnic type of bench seats/table, they get pretty hard, I recommend that you take along a blanket/pads to sit on. We day trip it there 2-4 times every summer just to see them! Disclaimer- We have no financial or other interest in the Bar J only that it will be the best $$ value for your money for your trip! Check out their website. 

http://www.barjchuckwagon.com

Also in Jackson check out the ?COWBOY? bar, the bar stools are saddles and check out the # of Silver Dollars imbedded in the bar. The Wort Hotel Bar (just around the corner from the Cowboy Bar) also has Silver Dollars imbedded in the Bar

Just to affirm that coxid is not crazy:  We camped at a Forest Service campground at Hebgen lake last August and decided to take a trip to the park one day.  We also live in the area, so we've been to Yellowstone often but mostly in shoulder seasons.  After turning off main in West Yellowstone at 8 am we were in a traffic jam to get to the entrance.  After clearing that jam, we drove in stop and go traffic and at a max of 20 miles an hour all the way to Old Faithful.  Later we found out that the traffic problem was from a tourist stopping in the middle of the road every 20 yards to look at wildlife.  When we got to Old Faithful (32 miles) it was noon!  There was not a single parking spot in several lots so we filled with gas and headed to a picnic area on the way "home". 

My advice - be flexible and have a full gas tank.

I appreciate all the replies. I am very aware what I am getting into hence this is one of the last NP we have visited. My plans are to get there see old faithful and get out. Kind of like Yoesimite valley.  We are not afraid to drive. We cover more ground than most people would even dream of. We covered 6500 miles in 14 days. We are still young . 40's we have a daughter 19 and a special needs son 17 that is wheelchair bound. So handicapped parking helps us some times but not always. I like quiet and not many tourist. We do alot of jeep trails in the mountains and have seen some amazing places others never get to. Plus we have been lost up on wilderness roads with no cell service or gps so that's life to get away from everyone. Some days we have started at 7am and didn't make it back until 11pm.
I greatly appreciate all the info. Will try to find something outside the park and drive in. Then head out.

SeilerBird said:
You are going to one of the most popular tourist destinations in America at the most crowded time of year. It will not be quiet there and it will be overrun with tourists.

Trust me I totally understand. Maybe I can let my wife read all this and see if she changes her mind. Unfortunately  right now are time to go is dictated on my daughters college break. Is south still as congested down around GTNP and Jackson also?

The Tetons are crowded as well. Many campgrounds are completely full, and even the huge Gros Ventre no hookup campground fills up then. If you could wait even a few weeks, it would help. Yellowstone is such a fabulous place, unique in all the world. It would be a shame to drive to Old Faithful and leave. When does your daughter start school? If this could be the last spot in your trip, maybe mid August, you would enjoy it so much more. If it was me, I would delay the trip until next year, and head to Yellowstone as soon as your DD gets out of school. Make reservations early at Grizzly, then take a week to see some of the sights. We have been to Yellowstone probably 20times, and there are still things we haven?t seen.

She only has a two week break. She is taking summer classes also. That's why we couldn't plan ahead to far we didn't know her schedule. She gets married next fall so probably last trip with us. Everyone is just so busy anymore. It's hard to even plan two weeks. I think it will be a return trip with my wife son and I at a later date. Wait until later in the season. Then we can spend more time. I have reservations already in Black hills. We may just swing down towards Moab or RMNP. We will just see what happens. Those make the best trips sometimes. No reservations and just drive.

Fishing Bridge is the most centrally located CG, does have full hook-ups  but as mentioned you would need to reserve months in advance as it fills up quickly.  You could just show-up in the event of a cancellation, but that of course is a crap shoot.  West Yellowstone is an option, but the drawback is the considerable amount of extra driving to enjoy a lot of what Yellowstone has to offer, so that would not be my first option, but may be your only option.

We booked Fishing Bridge for 4 nights August 2017 and I booked less than a week before we were due there.  I was offered 5 nights.  Someone probably cancelled.

The sister park to Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone is in Gardiner at the north end of the park, it is called Yellowstone RV.  It is a busy place but you might get in there if stuck. 

You might have more luck if you can do without the full hook ups.  There are more options as some of the park campgrounds have walk ins.

I put a lengthy post in about various things to do in the area here:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,113716.msg1028242.html#msg1028242

Good news, I finally got reservations for 5 days, I lucked out.  Now I have to deal with all the people.  :mad:    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and all the help.

Ghostman said:
Good news, I finally got reservations for 5 days, I lucked out.  Now I have to deal with all the people.  :mad:    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and all the help.
The crowds at Yellowstone is a good news bad news thing. It is bad news because it is so crowded, but it is good news because the reason it is so crowded is because it is such a fantastic place to visit. There is a lot to see and do there and I don't even consider Old Faithful as the best attraction in the park. I would give that to Grand Prismatic Spring or upper and lower Yellowstone Falls. And I prefer Grand Tetons over Yellowstone.

Old Faithful is great, it attracts a very large crowd of tourists so you can view the real nice stuff with those folks out of the way.  ;D

SeilerBird said:
The crowds at Yellowstone is a good news bad news thing. It is bad news because it is so crowded, but it is good news because the reason it is so crowded is because it is such a fantastic place to visit. There is a lot to see and do there and I don't even consider Old Faithful as the best attraction in the park. I would give that to Grand Prismatic Spring or upper and lower Yellowstone Falls. And I prefer Grand Tetons over Yellowstone.

I agree.  While Old Faithful is worth seeing, Yellowstone has so much more that is spectacular and Grand Tetons... well you just have to visit.

We are staying down southern end in GTNP. Will make the journey up north for a day then plan on spending the rest of the time down there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom