Laptop screen dim after latest Win10 update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

Title says it all, my screen is dim after the latest update and I can make it brighter. (Actually, it appears I have no control over it, dimmer or brighter. Further, the interface is definitely different than it used to be so it appears Microsoft installed something, either just a new video driver interface and/or new driver.) HP 2540p laptop, Intel video. Went to the intel site and downloaded their "driver sniffer" software and it reported everything current. Lots of complaints on the web, going back quite some time. So apparently this is not the first time this has happened. Ideas?
My current plan of attack is to make a new backup drive image which I'm doing now, followed by getting my backup laptop updated and ready to fill-in if necessary, followed by rollback of the latest "critical" update which caused this.

Thx

I'm sure you've done it already but have you gone into your power settings and make sure that
the setting that you usaully use has not been changed by the update?

butchiiii said:
I'm sure you've done it already but have you gone into your power settings and make sure that
the setting that you usaully use has not been changed by the update?
Yes. Set for max screen, as it was. However the battery/power setting interface itself has changed. Also, anything I do has no effect. I can set either max dim or bright, no change.

That's too bad. I always like to look for the easy fixes 1st. Microsoft is
notorious for fixing "problems" in their upgrades that don't exist.
Good luck!

Irover said:
  Maybe just roll it back to the previous version and reload it if it was working correctly before the update!

That?s the plan, been doing backups before I do. But even if that works it leaves me in a situation where I can never update Windows again. So at some point, soon, I need to get this figured out

Some of the Microsoft updates have been so power intensive, some older machines have struggled with the demand. When you say dim, is it like low light dim, or dark like you can't hardly make anything out on the screen?  What if you looked around  for a new  video driver on line and updated the one on the machine?

SargeW said:
Some of the Microsoft updates have been so power intensive, some older machines have struggled with the demand. When you say dim, is it like low light dim, or dark like you can't hardly make anything out on the screen?  What if you looked around  for a new  video driver on line and updated the one on the machine?
It's like low light dim. I can set max bright, or minimum, and there is no effect.
Yes, I checked the driver. Intel reports it is the latest. My theory is that MS took over the power features (the interface is different than it used to be) and broke it, and the new interface is not communicating correctly (or at all) with the drivers. This makes it sound like I have knowledge in this area, I really don't. That's just my best guess.

My first thought was that my screen was failing, but if you Google this issue ("screen dim after Windows update" or similar) there are tons of hits. Everyone talks about the driver, but I don't know how to force the proper one in there, or get my old power interface back. I really am at a loss

Had the same problem with this latest update. I also lost my  ability to use my touch screen. I called MS and they told me to reboot and if that did not work to delete the latest update and then schedule a time to reinstall it during the day rather than at night. They said that sometimes if the new update is installed while the computer is in sleep mode it doesn't install properly. Yes it was a pain but it is working fine now. Good luck.

ro1459 said:
Had the same problem with this latest update. I also lost my  ability to use my touch screen. I called MS and they told me to reboot and if that did not work to delete the latest update and then schedule a time to reinstall it during the day rather than at night. They said that sometimes if the new update is installed while the computer is in sleep mode it doesn't install properly. Yes it was a pain but it is working fine now. Good luck.
Interesting. Thanks for the info I will give that a try

:)) :)) :))

It worked! And it sure was faster to delete than install. Maybe I should uninstall more MS stuff  ;)

Forced me to get all my backups current, along with a standby computer, so that?s good

Back
Top Bottom